“Great food at great prices!”
Review of Atap Cafe & Resto

Atap Cafe & Resto
Ranked #128 of 1,244 Restaurants in Yogyakarta
Cuisines: Barbecue, Grill, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Visited the restaurant late in the evening and there was another couple dining there when we arrived.

Ordered our food, but waited for at least 20 - 30 minutes before it arrived. The wait was made worst due to mosquitoes' bites, most probably due to mosquito breeding in the plants surrounding the whole restuarant. So do come prepared with long sleeves and pants or spray some insect repellants on exposed skin.

Surprisingly they make very good western food, one of the best I ever had while in Yogya!

Will definitely be back if I ever visit Yogya again.

Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Food is great, although mains are now 50k instead of 30k as published in the latest lonely planet, the squatting toilet is very dirty and furniture is very cheap. Would recommend the chicken padang.

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Not sure what all the other reviews are raving about, but we found this place rather average when we had lunch there. Yes, it was cheap, and the food was okay, but nothing more than that, so for a few dollars more there are better places to go in Yogyakarta...

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Spending so much time in Indonesia I am quite use to rather tough steaks, but reading the Trip Advisor reviews I thought I'd give this ago. Yes its true its a little hard to find at the end of a small street off Sosrowijayan, but if you look closely there is a sign on Sosrowijayan. The Atap is up a set of scruffy stairs and when you get to the top its little better. I sure that many western visitors would see this as local charm, but frankly its not, its simply a little run down.
If the owner is reading this and the person I am describing is not the owner, please, please, forgive me. But on reaching the top of the stairs there was a Dutch man lecturing Indonesians on Indonesian politics and business. I took an instant dislike to this person, he was the sort of bule gombal that I give a very wide berth to. Worse still if he was the owner he didn't greet us or make us feel at all welcome.
The menu claims to be fusion and the descriptions certainly appeared to be fusion dishes. I ordered Steak Rica Rica, which was described as Manadoese. Hardly Manadoese. It was covered in an extremely good slightly spicy barbeque sauce, rather than fresh chillis, lemongrass and kaffir lime. Nevertheless it was fantastic, I mean really fantastic. One of the best steaks I have had let alone in Indonesia. As for the sauce it was good and went well with the steak, but calling it Manadoese breaks any trade description.
When the bill came it was about twice what you would pay in neighbouring Indonesian restaurants, but it was more than twice as good. If you are a western visitor to Jogja then I can really recommend Atap, but don't be fooled that this is in some way fusion, its western food full stop.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We've loved visiting this special little place each visit to Yogja. The owner is the chef and waiter and he certainly knows food. He told us that he has a passion for cooking and that certainly comes across. Seriously delicious and a great variety to choose from.