“Great facilities”
Review of EDU Hostel Jogja

EDU Hostel Jogja
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I didn't make a reservation but did look up EDU hostel before arriving in Yogya. It was easily accessible from the airport using public transportation (with the help of very friendly locals!). Reception was very helpful. They gave me a map, circled the things I should do while there (Kraton, water castle, puppet show, Malioboro street). I got in after dark and didn't want to walk around too much and they showed me where to go to get good, cheap, local food. I've seen some reviews complaining about the distance to everything, but I did the walk each day and really didn't have a problem with it.
Beds were clean. The room had 6 beds and a private bathroom. The toilet is in a separate room from the two showers and sink, which is good for sharing a room with other people. Internet doesn't work in the room, but it does in the main lounge, which I never had a problem with. They have outlets in the lockers so you can charge things and keep them safe at the same time. Good AC as well as really thick curtains to keep the heat out (trust me, it's important!). Rooms are a decent size. Didn't feel like I was walking on top of my roommates like at some hostels.
My roommates woke up every day at 4:30 for the call to prayer because we're right near a mosque. I'm a heavy sleeper and slept right through it. Breakfast is included. It's rice with some protein. It was filling and pretty good, but personally I prefer my western breakfast or toast in the morning. Yogya is a bigger city than ones I'd been traveling in and I really liked the level of security. You had to swipe into your floor and again to your room.
My roommates were very friendly, but I was a little disappointed with the social life. I thought since everyone had to be in the lounge to use internet that there'd be more people just hanging out.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Cassie C
Andre Y, Manager at EDU Hostel Jogja, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Hey Cassie, thank you for your review. We provide the Wi-Fi only in Lobby area so that our guest can socialize in our common area, lesehan. Looking forward to welcome you again :)

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I think this Hostel is one of the best Hostel i've stayed so far! I stayed here for one night. The location is easy to reach by public transportation (TransJogja). The building was very clean and modern, i thought it was a hotel, but turns out that this was the building that i looking for :P. The staffes were very helpful and nice. I chose the 6-bed dorm for female, and the room was clean, had a hugeee glass window and the bathroom was surprisingly clean. There's no TV nor Wi-fi in the dorm room, but it was OK. You can use the internet connection in the Lobby or the Mezzanine floor. I'm a huge fan of this mezzanine floor! it had a huge and very comfy couch and several beany couches, there were some guitars, books, and magazine also. And surprisingly they had this marvelous rooftop! I would definitely stay in this Hostel again when i'm planning to go to Yogyakarta

NB : You can't smoke everywhere in this hostel, incl. in the room. So if you want to smoke, you can simply go to the rooftop, go outside the building or go the balcony :)

Special Thanks to the Manager, Andre! :D

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Andre Y, Manager at EDU Hostel Jogja, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Hello Made, we are glad to know that you have a pleasant stay in Yogyakarta. Looking forward to welcome you again :)

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Everything was clean (for Indonesian conditions - please don't go to Indonesia if a little hair or something like that is a problem for you). Very good service, very friendly personnel and a manager that cares a lot that everybody is satisfied.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Andre Y, Manager at EDU Hostel Jogja, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Hello bu Flo, thank you for your review :). It is our pleasure to receive a good review. Looking forward to see your review on your blog and your next stay ;)

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great value, good location, excellent facilities... I was pleasantly surprised when I approached the hostel as it certainly had the look of a major hotel. When I opened the room door, I was met with a tv, huge beds and very modern-design washrooms. Would definitely come back whenever I'm in town

• Stayed: August 2013
Andre Y, Manager at EDU Hostel Jogja, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Hey Topher, thank you for reviewing us :). We are more than happy to have you back here again. Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed here with a friend for two nights. I like the concept and its nice to know that there is an Hostel for backpackers around the area. But I have so many comments about this hostel that made me and my friend disappointed. 1. WIFI only works in the lobby; we all knew how important this is to backpackers, coz we normally don't have a local number to use, so ofcourse we need internet connection to use our smartphone's messengers to get connected to people and plan our trip. 2. I think they aren't really replacing bed and pillow sheets after someone used it; there are lots of hair and food smell on my pillow. 3. It's far from everything; you have to hire a rickshaw to go to the mall and malioboro street, but if you love to walk for about a kilometer then this is good for you. 4. Price is too high for a backpacker; if you will look for other hotels around Sosrowijan street, you will get a clean, nice and cheaper private rooms, unlike in Edu Hostel you have to whisper coz there are six of you sleeping in one room.

Actually I'm not against of everything, well I am just sharing my experience and comments. Maybe the management should weigh if the price really worth for backpacker travelers or not.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for staying with us and your feedback is important to us. The wi-fi is allocated in the lobby area not in dorm is good for the hostel atmosphere. The bed sheet issue is only a step away to stop by to our front office to raise the issue if such is happening on which our standard is to provide the cleaned and new bed sheet and pillow case. The price against the facilities provided we have no comment on this sensitive issue for some. However, The management has keep the current price level in local currency despite the weakening of our currency. The Hostel location yes, we had it shown on the google map that we are walking distance to the major attraction that Jogja is known for. As for the mall it may be a little far to be honest with you. Once again, Thank you for your input and no worry of our price IDR 70,000 or less than USD 7 per bed per night remain the same till further notice.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

If what you're looking for is a place to have good rest, safe, clean, and cheap, then EDU Hostel will be the answer!
It's a great choice for solo traveler or backpacker because you will meet new friends here, not only a friendly staffs but also another guests from around the world.
Only 5-10 minutes walking to Malioboro area, very near to central city.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank alkomala
Andre Y, Manager at EDU Hostel Jogja, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thank you for choosing EDU Hostel :), we are glad to have you here. It's always nice to see that there are more Indonesian solo travelers staying with us. looking forward to your next visit ;),

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

First time i'm expected great experience here since read few a good review but i'm dissapointed! When we first time saw our bed, It's dirty especially my Friend bed we found hairs and my bed there's a sand and i guess The hotel don't clean it first before we Check-in! The bathroom was dirty as well,many hairs and The floor Is slipery so its quite dangerous once we slipery there! The WiFi facility Is only on 1st floor even they Have a public area too on 5th floor.the location Is far from everywhere,glad we rent a motorbike so we can go anywhere since there's nothing special near this hostel. We just booked for 2nights but om The 1st night we stayed just wanna leave as soon as possible! The day before we stayed at this hostel we've been stayed on one of hostel at sosrowijan and It's more cheaper and The location Is near from everywhere especially malioboro street. In The end Maybe this Is mu first an last time stay at this hostel.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for staying at EDU Hostel and we are more than happy by the second year of the operation to see more Indonesian travelers to stay with us. We spent a great deal of time and efforts to make the hostel accommodation concept to be accepted by the Indonesia public. Your input is valuable to us but if you could just stop by to our reception desk there should not be any such a problem during your stay. As for the hostel location, the Google map shows where we are – minutes from the popular Malioboro street and the Kraton (Sultan Palace).