“Homestay Heru”
Review of Homestay Heru

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yogyakarta
Homestay Heru
Ranked #36 of 503 Yogyakarta B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed here recently, Fabulous place to be when in Jogjakarta, The home is clean , affordable and bed is very comfortable. Food was simple & tasty, Will surely stayed there again or recommend to friends who are going to visit Jogja.. Ibu & Pak Heru are friendly and approachable. Atmosphere was good during dinner where you get to mixed and talk to guest of other countries.

Room Tip: Higher floors will hve less disturbance
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Teo C
Sri Puji Lestar... e, Owner at Homestay Heru, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Teo C,

We very much appreciate for your comments regarding your stay at Homestay Heru. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope your next visit will be as much pleasant as the previous one.

There are newer reviews for Homestay Heru

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed at Homestay Heru for 4 months between April and August 2012 and I must admit that my stay in Indonesia would not have been the same if I had stayed at another place! Homestay Heru is simply a great place to live and to meet new people from completely different cultural backgrounds.

Rooms are clean and have their own en suite bathroom. Desk, chair, wardrobe are provided. You might even get a double bed if you're lucky. Rooms are cleaned on a weekly basis upon demand. Laundry is done daily and is scheduled like a Swiss clock. The basket is picked up around 8am, clothes will be ready at around 3pm. A BIG advantage was that the domestic helpers iron your clothes.

Food at Homestay Heru is delicious. The satay, gado-gado and ayam goreng were particularly delicious. Food was always provided in quantity and Ibu Heru, the real chief of the house, is always more than happy to share dinner and breakfast with her guests. A slightly negative point that I must admit was the lack of diversity for breakfast. Maybe adding one or two jams would be a good idea for those who don't like peanut butter or do not want to eat Nutella every morning. Also, a variety of fruits other than pineapple, watermelon and papaya would not hurt. But this is a very minor point.

Ibu Heru and her family are fantastic people. They speak good English, the mum even speaks French. They are always happy to help out. I must admit that life at Homestay Heru is different when Ibu Heru is not around. The domestic helpers are also very nice, friendly and lovely people. For those who can speak Bahasa Indonesia, they are great conversation partners since they cannot speak English. A noteworthy anecdote is that pretty much all students i spoke to at UGM or Sanata Dharma know about the Homestay Heru.

During my stay, I had the chance to meet very diverse people from all over the world, with a paricular focus for those who come to Yogya for Bahasa Indonesia. In Homestay Heru, you will always meet students, diplomats, NGO officers and also sometimes tourists. Dinner at 7pm is a really great time for everyone to mingle and exchange some life experience.

Location-wise, the homestay is very well located in the heart of Yogya's student environment, walking distance from Sanata Dharma and two private language institutes. It's near UNY and UGM. An international hotel, its swimming pool and gym are a 5 minute walk away. A motorcycle rental is also in the neighborhood.

Food in the area is also great, i would recommend anyone to try eating at the local warungs and to get off the beaten track of Western-style restaurants. Particularly try the Chinese Indonesian Warung Manalagi in Jalan Moses, and the hot plate one opposite Yogya Plaza Hotel. Although the Italian restaurant Nanamia is fancy, walk 10 more minutes further down to Jalan Cendrawasih and visit Il Mondo Pizzeria which is in my view far better (taste-wise).

In a nutshell, I would recommend anyone to stay at Homestay Heru in Yogya. More than a simple place to sleep and have dinner, it will give you an authentic taste of life in Indonesia with an Indonesian family. I hope to visit them again soon!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank rpbar4
Sri Puji Lestar... e, Owner at Homestay Heru, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear rpbar4,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Homestay Heru. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our crew and this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strife to continuously improve the quality of our service.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

The homestay was wonderful! I was travelling by myself and needed to stay for a month, so it was reassuring to have such a friendly place to stay. The food was great and it was a great way to meet other travelers. Would definitely recommend. :)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank LauraJW25
Reviewed September 14, 2012

If you look for a place to stay where you can feel home, go to Homestay Heru. The big, lovingly furnished house with its open, friendly atmosphere offers you very nice rooms with enough space to store your things, several places to relax or study as on one of the green balconies or in the common living room, great varied javanese food, and, the best, a very nice, cheerful family willing to help you whatever your matter is. In a nutshell, Homestay Heru is the best possible basis for all kind of indonesian adventures you might want to go for during your stay in Yogya! I already planned my next trip to Yogya - destination: Homestay Heru!!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank LieseJakarta
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Best Place to stay in Yogyakarta.
Wonderful lovely Family and awesome javanese food.

We stayed for our language course for 2 weeks and we enjoyed it very much to talk to the whole Heru-Clan in bahasa Indonesia.

Best regards

Claudio, Gero & Valentin

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Valentin7
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Nice people,nice food,nice location.I have stayed there twice and thirty days each stay and i will go there again.Ibu is like a mother to all,she does look after her guest very well.Laundry service is like a swiss watch.There is a travel agent next door and indomaret opposite.If you want to work out there is a European standard Gym in yogyakarta plaza hotel.Nice family.I am already planning to send my teenager sons for a summer stay there.Terima kasih banyak ibu.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank efesmurat

Dear efesmurat,

Reviewed June 28, 2012

My Husband, daughter and myself stayed at Heru's for a whole week. It is a homestay, a large house with many rooms, and shared common areas. The price of our stay included breakfast and dinner where you dine family-style, with other people staying at the homestay, on one of 2 dining tables.
I couldn't stress enough how appropriate Heru's place is for the purpose of traveling through Jogja on a budget. The dining-style gives you the opportunity to meet with other travelers, mostly students (Studying bahasa at the nearby language school). It is just the right distance from the center of town- far enough to make you feel like you are getting away yet close enough to catch a cab for a tour in the silver district, the main market district, a night movie... For the ladies who would like a break there is also a salon and spa recommended to me by Heru where you can get top treatment for very little. (I got an hour long massage, a pedicure, a hair cut and blow dry for $10 US).
It is VERY clean for those concerned about that. They also offer laundry service (one set of clothing per day), the rooms have AC, hot water. Their meals are delicious and generous. The owners (Heru and her husband) are super friendly. They also have a very nice and friendly cat. My husband is allergic but was unaffected since the cat doesn't go into rooms. The common areas where people can sit with a book or to watch TV (they have a satellite dish) offer privacy if needed, or a more shared environment. The only thing is that you have to rent a room by the week, not the night.

All in all, yes, I would highly recommend Heru's Homestay. After traveling through harder parts of Indonesia, it was like an oasis.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room on the second floor. Any room is fine.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family