“Feel like home”
Review of Homestay Heru

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yogyakarta
Homestay Heru
Ranked #49 of 511 Yogyakarta B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I am feel very happy that I can stay in homestay Heru more than a months. You can found inside the home is full of wonderful things no matter the plantaion, people and food. I am extremely love the balcony and dinning room, even my room. Full of beautiful flowers and green trees. Sometimes you also can heard the birds sing, how harmony are!
There is so tidy and clean in everywhere inside the house, I love it much. And the foods is so delicious and tasty. I love to eat Indonesian cuisine but not too spicy. They really fit to my taste. So fantastic. Also in my experience, staying in here just feel like home. They are so kindness and gentle. Many thanks for the hosiptality they showed me.
Each breakfast and dinner time, I can met many friends in here just like me( learning language). We all come from different countries and different purpose in Jogja. But everytime we can sharing a lots and laugh together. So I do not feel lonely in here. If you are planning to visit Jogja, why do not try to stay in here and feel like home?

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter, but if you want a big suites normally near the front gate of home.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Lily W

Reviewed May 6, 2012

Period: 3 weeks in Feb 2012 - March 2012

I had a wonderful time staying at Ibu Heru's for 3 weeks. Staying at this homestay was one reason my trip and experience in Jogja was so amazing. Any questions we had about planning trips or Indonesian culture would be patiently explained in English or Indonesian. The homestay is close to the language school (15 min walk) and has ample facilities nearby; small supermarket, massage, yoga, gym, swimming pool, money machines, restaurants, coffee bar.

Ibu Heru's dinners were exceptional; the most devine Javanese dinners would be served up at 7 pm.
My room was comfortably furnished with desk, chair, clothes cupboard, bed, mosquito net, AC and own shower and toilet. There we're many rooms available and I met a great group of mostly language students (ages 24 -50) while staying there from all over the world. There is a list of balconies to choose from to quietly sit and read a book, gorgeous plants hanging everywhere, (TV) lounge areas upstairs for the guests, and tea, coffee, hot and cold water are always available.

In all, highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Stenhout
Sri Puji Lestar... e, Owner at Homestay Heru, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear Stenhout,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Homestay Heru. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our crew and this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strife to continuously improve the quality of our service.

Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope your next visit will be as much pleasant as the previous one.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

I planned to use "Jogja" as a 2-day transit stop, but very much due to the experience I had at Homestay Heru stayed over a week and loved it!

(Mrs) Ibu Heru is a worldy person and has created a wonderful environment where travelers can share experiences with the family and each other. She really wants each guest to feel a welcome part of the family, and makes a point of eating breakfast and dinner at the communal table, trading travel stories and great info and insight into Jogja and Indonesia

The entire house is "barefoot clean," rooms have a/c with individual thermostat. I would have collapsed from the heat/humidity had I not been able to come home and squirrel away in my a/c everyday. Common meals are a GREAT way to share gossip and Jogja info. The home-cooked meals are good and always included fresh tropical fruits! Being part of the family means our breakfast and dinner are included in the room rate AND so is daily laundry! I found this to be an excellent value

I enjoyed the neighborhood, which is a REAL neighborhood. No touts! It's near many universities so there are students everywhere, along with good+cheap restaurants they and the neighbors frequent, and the youthful vibe they create. Many 24-hour mini-marts and pharmacys everywhere, plus places to get mobile SIM cards, massages etc. I got a massage almost each day :). Local and TransJogja buses run many lines within 5-10 of the house, so that's how I got around town.

Until recently, Homestay Heru has catered mainly to foreignors studying Indonesian at one of the many nearby schools. As word gets out, more tourists (like me) are staying/living there too. I particularly loved the mix of fellow visitors - unlike the backpacker + traditional tourist crowd I typically enjoy hanging out with, meeting and learning these language students' stories was fascinating. Many were graduate students learning Indonesian to complete their thesis field work in the country so are engaged in interesting, worthy work, and were a surprising and wonderful change from the people i typically meet

We did joint excursions to a stunning Gamelan performance Sunday morning at the Kraton Palace, plus Ramayana at Prambanan and even saw a local band perform downtown. Also went batik shopping/touring of top workshops together.

Ibu reminds me of my own mother. What more can you ask for when traveling :)

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank unsyncsteve

Dear unsyncsteve,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Homestay Heru. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Any suggestions would be greatly valuable.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

This is the best homestay around Jogja. The Heru family are extremely nice and very accommodating to your needs. It's very clean, tidy and not to mention great food. I highly recommend this homestay for anyone that is looking.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank loretta_yuen
Reviewed March 22, 2012

This is the loveliest homestay I've ever been to. Ibu Heru not only teaches Indonesian language and culture, but also enriches the days with the fabulous local food and the nice atmosphere she and her family provide. Everything is clean and tidy, price is pretty reasonable. Will always come back!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank FelixAnderl
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I absolutely loved this homestay. Familyfeeling. Beautiful surroundings. Delicious food. A fantastic place to learn the language and to discover the real Indonesia. Saya senang Homestay Heru, Java, Jogja...

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank MirtheSmeets
Reviewed February 14, 2012

The streets of Yoyakarta are quite hectic. Ibu and Bapak Heru offer a small oasis away from the streets and the classroom. (They have 2 different locations, both nice) Private rooms with wifi and comfortable areas to hang out in the garden or on the roof make it a pleasant spot. The location is very good for reaching some quite good nearby restaurants, fitness centers, shopping and a variety of cultural amenities. The Indonesian food is wonderful supplemented by western style breakfasts that feature the freshest seasonal fruits ( the papaya and mango are superb with cereal and toast). Shared meals offer a nice opportunity to get to know people from all over the world. Ibu Heru is a great mediator and speaks good French and English. If you are learning Indonesian, she is a great help. I recently spent three months there and it was one of the most refreshing experiences I've had in recent years.

Some practical matters. There are plenty of mosquitoes so sometimes it is necessary to use the mosquito provided above your bed. Walking and even biking in the city are difficult so suing taxis, the bus or even renting a motorbike is recommended. Laundry service is outstanding. Ibu can help arrange many necessities and travel arrangements but with a convenience store right across the street (Indomaret), many of the basics are quite easy. Staying with Ibu is far more interesting and possibly even more comforting then most hotels. You will get an opportunity to learn something different with her.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo