“Cozy and affordable hotel”

Jambuluwuk Malioboro
Ranked #30 of 211 Hotels in Yogyakarta
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Spent my birthday with this hotel.. And so far I am very happy that I stayed in this hotel. The rooms were not that big and spacious but, it was squeaky clean. The staff are very helpful and hospitable to us especially to my young daughter. The hotel has top of the line facilities and. A good restaurant. They also arrange tour services. There are also a lot of nearby shops, convenient stores and it is very close to malioboro street.

• Stayed: March 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,054)

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We arrived late into Yogjakarta from Surabaya on a flight that had a cockroach flying about. The driver Harry was a nice guy and we were told that the people in Yogjakarta were generally very friendly and pleasant.

We had a breeze of a ride with our driver Harry (who was the most pleasant human being I have ever come across). The hotel was beautifully decorated and looks like an art museum which impressed me.

But we were soon to change our opinion completely when we face what I would deem monster Sylvia. I kid you not as she was so nasty. We had earlier called and was told by the supervisor that we can ask for express laundry and request for the gym to be opened earlier since we had to leave 7.30am the next day. Whilst I can understand that the supervisor may have made a mistake in advising us about the laundry and the gym what infuriated me was her arrogance and rude behaviour. I watched whilst she excused my colleague of telling a lie and get them to do her work for her like going to the spa. When the latter happened i intervened and gave her a piece of my mind. Not once did I hear her say sorry for the inconveniences caused. She made my colleagues feel that they work for her. Once when I raised my voice did she apologises and quickly the manager made the arrangements to open the gym at 5am. Mmmmm... so it was possible but then it was too late. We cancelled our reservation and stayed at the Novotel instead.

I opine that Sylvia ought not to be in the front desk as she is the most unfriendly, rude and disrespectful person I ever come across.

Harry the driver at the hotel on the other hand was a sweetheart. He kept on apologising on the inconveniences she had caused her. She should learn from him. Crudos to Harry but thumbs down for Sylvia

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
14  Thank Rosalia D
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 3 nights here after a horrible night at Manohara Borobudur, and boy I was relieved. The hotel looks new and clean, the beds were comfy and the bathroom was great.
Location wise, it's around 10mins walk to Malioboro. Yogyakarta is a safe city so it's fine to walk around at night.
What impressed me the most was the breakfast buffet. My friends and I loved it - they have a few permanent stalls and a buffet table that change menu everyday. The choices were extensive and variety was impressive. My cousin loved the waffles - she can have 3 servings in one sitting. They even had a "healthier" counter for the health-conscious.

My only "unpleasant" experience here was during check-in, the staff looked at my full name and asked if I'm a Mr or Miss, in my face. And I'm Indonesian mind you...my name is not even uncommon and I can assure you I dress like a normal girl. Oh well, I answered him and laughed it off with my friends. More training would benefit the hotel staffs, this kind of incident could offend some people.

All in all, great hotel! I would stay here again :)

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank pammmie
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The location of this hotel is at the heart of yogyakarta. However, Malioboro is 10 minutes away from this hotel. The room was great and clean but low water pressure in shower make showering a little unpleasant. This hotel also provide internet connection (WIFI). Breakfast is average, not so much choice for western menu. Staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: Choose deluxe room to have a better view. Most superior room facing wall..
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a night only after a week in Bali. Before we stepped inside the hotel, we have already lowered our expectations after reading the not-so-good reviews. One of the things that impressed me was the nice lobby with clean toilets. Our room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was a pleasant and relaxing experience because there were many choices of hot and cold dishes and we were seated beside the pool. Our room was on the third floor which has a lush garden. Unfortunately, our room was beside the housekeeping room. We could hear the staff chatting and laughing aloud even in the wee hours of the morning and late at night. Room service was fast and the food was good too. But the biggest challenge was communicating with the staff in English. Even the people in the front desk are obviously having a difficult time conversing in English. But they made up for the communication problem by bringing us to the airport in the hotel shuttle for free. Over-all, we had a wonderful and interesting stay in this hotel. It's also a cultural experience because on one corner, there was a batik-making demonstration. While on the other corner near the elevator, there was a musician showing his skills with the gamelan, a traditional Indonesian musical instrument. Definitely, we would consider staying in this hotel again.

Room Tip: choose a room on the third floor but far from the housekeeping room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank IrahB
Reviewed March 22, 2013

the hotel was nice. The distance from Jambuluwuk to Malioboro is about 10 minutes walking distance. Clean room with hotel standard equipment. breakfast is average. we had a nice mini-garden in front of our room, we were able to smoke there. Very friendly staff.. I will go back to this hotel for sure.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Irma A
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I really wanted to like this hotel in Jogjakarta but alas I had to move to another one.

The hotel itself is nice and comfortable and the room were clean and pleasant.

However, I should have read the reviews more closely, especially from those other travelers who are not native to Indonesia or don't speak Bahasa. Like someone else mentioned in a previous review I understand, when I am travelling in a non-native-english speaking country, that conversing will be a challenge - that is a great part of the adventure. However that when a hotel's website is written in english and it says that it is a 5 star hotel I expect there would be some level of english spoken by the frontline staff. My experience at the Jambuluwuk Malioboro Boutique Hotel was that this was not the case.

I had book to stay 8 nights at the hotel but had to leave after 2 because of the inability for the staff and myself to communicate on basic service requests - such as sending a power socket adapter to my room on my first night after arriving at 10pm (stupidly left mine at home); 2 telephones calls where I ask for an adapter to be sent to my room and being told 'yes' and then going down to the front desk at 12 midnight and asking in person and finally after much being shown to me as what they thought I was asking for I got the adapter.

Other communication experiences such as this over the first two days unfortunately did me in and I left for the Hyatt Recency Yogyakarta - a five star hotel with good frontline communications skills. Fortunately the hotel let me out with only having to pay 1 night penalty and I was more than happy to do that .

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo