“Overpriced for Indifferent Service Provided”

Jambuluwuk Malioboro
Ranked #28 of 202 Hotels in Yogyakarta
Gatineau, Quebec
“Overpriced for Indifferent Service Provided”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

The location is decent though not great. My conversation with a manager named "Nana" indicates to me that front office staff have no qualms about lying and use the excuse that there is a language barrier to justify when they are caught in a lie. I would not recommend this place because of the indifferent services provided by management. The hotel frequently interrupted our activities because of confusion caused by their own mistakes where we had to return to sort out issues with our room that we understood had been settled previously. Hotel bathtub in our room had mold contamination! A mosque close by started chanting very loudly at 4:00 AM

Room Tip: Better hotels are available in the area that are not as overpriced for the indifferent service provi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank sutheat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Indonesian first
Bandung, Indonesia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed in this hotel with family in the weekend was very nice. As this hotel have many facilities for children. Children play ground, library room and the swimming pool. Room was nice and their twin bed room big but the bathroom not too big. My room was in the 3rd floor where they have a beautiful roof garden with many kind of trees, flower and also a place where you can sit and feel the fresh air. actually their deluxe room more better and only have different about 100.000 something. Breakfast was nice with various kinds of food. Indonesian buffet breakfast and american breakfast buffet separated. And also dimsum available. Sit in front of the swimming pool and watch the children play in the swimming pool. Even the hotel name " malioboro" but this hotel not exactly located in the malioboro street. You have to go by Becak or taxi to malioboro street about 5 - 10 minutes.

This hotel have many meeting room so they also have many group, so it was not possible to check in before 2 pm. Even at 2 pm my room was not ready yet.
Hotel provide transfer service to and from airport for 65.000 idr. Its worthed for a nice van car to accomodated you and family.

Room Tip: Get a room in the 3 rd floor where the beautiful roof garden in the middle of it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank masrura
England
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Arrived by taxi from airport at 7am to this hotel having specifically requested via Agoda a hotel transfer and an early check in. Agoda had advised that a hotel transfer was not possible so that was okay and I made my own way there. If you are in the same position, get a taxi token (45,000 rupiah) from the counter at the airport, easy to find that.
Having arrived very early, they were not able to accommodate an early check in. I appreciated that I had arrived very early and after some negotiation they got my luggage looked after in their luggage store. Wen I said I had requested an early check in, all I got were repetitions of 'early check in' with much faffing about and no solutions or suggestions.
The difficult thing was that no one spoke any English. Asking for a map was difficult, asking where I could go to pass the time was difficult. In the end I asked if I could have a coffee in the breakfast area which was next to the lobby. They said ok, but I wasn't sure if I was to pay for this etc.
having now no access to my luggage, I set off to walk about and explore. Outside the hotel there are several pedicabs and one of them took me to malioboro road where I wondered about a bit aimlessly. A lack of sleep and the searing and burning heat plus the frankly un appealing urban nature of the place did make me regret leaving Bali. I eventually got back at 1pm. There was no room ready. I got one at 1.45pm, a whole 15 mins before the actual check in!
By now I was burned, having not had any access to sunblock which was in my suitcase, tired and miserable.
I don't speak Indonesian and don't expect Indonesians to speak English. However this is an international hotel catering for foreign visitors and a rudimentary grasp of English in this setting is a fairly basic requirement I think.
I eventually found an English speaking concierge who was great. He helped me to price the pedicabs, get taxi's, locate restaurants and arrange a driver to the Paramban temples and Baku Rotu. I was grateful for that, but only having arrived at the Paramban temples did I understand that getting a taxi there and back would have been cheaper and there is a free transfer between Paramban and Boku Ratu. I think he could have told me that and felt a bit ripped off...but have not focused on this because it will spoil the experience for me.
I ordered drinks by the pool area a few times...each time they arrived 10 or 15 mins after ordering even though the place is hardly busy. I sit by the pool now having ordered a mineral water...it has taken 15 minutes to arrive.
I was approached by the lady working at the spa...she talked me through the offerings and told me that one of the massages had a 30% reduction, but none of the others were reduced. Hr co worker minutes later told me that everything was reduced!
These things all made staying at this hotel difficult and bad, depending on my frame of mind and sunburn and exhaustion. It was all more challenging then it needed to be.
Without this, the hotel is lovely. Modern, new, luxurious.
I stayed in a deluxe bedroom on the fifth floor and it is lovely, large, clean, comfy bed, tv with hbo. There are sample size toiletries, although I note that one of the small shampoo bottles is half used by a previous guest but still left there.
The location is poor I think and you can't go anywhere without a taxi or pedicab. These are cheap and readily available. It is a 20 minute unpleasant walk to malioboro street in tormenting heat.
The pool area is lovely, waterfall, two pools and decking and eating area.
Overall this place is fine...if I had had more time to research I wouldn't have stayed, but it was fine for a couple of nights.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Pfeiffer
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We loved our stay in this hotel, the swimming pool and gym is cool, breakfast is ok, the staff is helpful and polite, the room is spacious, but the bathroom is a bit cramp. We tried their in-room spa massage, it was blissful. Dinner in the restaurant was delicious and it was very quiet. Loved the details in every corner of the hotel, a gamelan player and a lady drawing batik in the lobby, it is a very thoughtful-designed hotel (except for the bathroom)
Overall, it was a pleasant stay, highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Spacious Room, and clean bathroom.

Although the location is 5 min from malioboro by "becak", i still enjoy to stay here.

Unforrtunately i booked the hotel thru agoda which breakfast not included. I wish i could also give the review on food

• Stayed April 2012
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel was selected for our company's outing stay, with participants of 160++ people. We arrived really early, about 4 AM in the morning. They were kind enough to open about 10 rooms for us to freshen up, and 1 big room to store our luggage. Breakfast was also ready soon. The food looked rather bland, but taste surprisingly okay. Maybe it looked bland due to us being so tired after night train journey from Jakarta.
The rooms were really nice. I stayed in room 328, 3rd floor, where they have this garden. Really refreshing! Beds were big. Bathroom just okay: not separate shower/bath tub. Breakfast was good. Lots of choices, nice taste, too. And no slack even serving 160+ people.
Staff were helpful. The front office staff were helpful with my inquiry.
All in all, a really nice stay. Pity the spa were not operating fully yet. Tried the massage, quite okay, nothing special. Turned out they haven't made their grand opening yet.
Oh. It's a boutique hotel. Parking space is very limited. Place is rather obscured, down in small alley. But near a very nice 'nasi gudeg' street vendor. Near small convenient store, accros bread store. Not so far to the famous Malioboro (can take the becak pedicab for that - available in front of hotel. I didn't ride one, so didn't know the fare. But you can definitely ask the front desk for return trip fare).
In short: no complaint, nice room, nice breakfat, nice people.

Room Tip: Choose 3rd floor, they have a garden there. So you got breathing space.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Si_Lalas
singapore
Reviewed September 7, 2012

we enjoy our 3 nights stay here. Hotel is clean . Staff polite , breakfast ok only. But mosque is just at the back of the hotel . And the payer start at 4am luckily is only about 5min each time , they pray 5 time a day . Last prayer was at 7 pm . So not so bad cos most of the time we come back after 7 pm .

• Stayed August 2012