“A good homebase for Yogyakarta's city tour”

Grand Aston Yogyakarta
Ranked #8 of 204 Hotels in Yogyakarta
Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
“A good homebase for Yogyakarta's city tour”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Grand Aston located about 30 minutes from the Airport on normal traffic, and 15 minutes from Malioboro, making it a good homebase for a city tour. It also sits in the middle of a commercial district which makes it easy to find your daily needs, sampling some streetfood, and finding taxi is a breeze.

Breakfast at Safron is excellent which all western, eastern, and Indonesian food stations tasted exceptionally well, gudeg (when served) is good, krecek is super spicy, and the addition of Jamu station is a good plus. Here you won't run out of options to choose from.

There's a decent pool on the 2nd floor deck, quite narrow but it's good enough to catch some laps. Gym sits right beside the pool but didn't gave it a try.

Room and amenities were good, no problem with the service, and the only complain I had was about the floppy internet connection; which had already reported to the front desk, and an IT guy was promptly sent to investigate but the trouble still exists. Our colleagues on different floor were experiencing a similar issue and most of the time have to rely to our own mobile connection for internet.

Outside of that glitch, on overall it was a pleasant experience and I'm looking forward to my next stay in this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Epicurean-INA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights and I love this hotel. Good services,very clean and comfortable. Bathroom was pretty small but it's fine. Foods were marvelous! Location are near airport. I had a very comfortable stay here.

• Stayed October 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The deluxe room is spacious despite adding an additional bed. House keeping is clean. Pleasant & friendly staff who try their best to understand & meet your needs. Breakfast selection is good. Nice ambiance at the Vanilla sky lounge. Good location and is near Plaza Ambarrukmo.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Pros: beautiful, modern rooms; nice pool and rooftop bar, friendly bell and restaurant staff, good breakfast,
Cons: noisy: on major road and next to construction site, very poor front desk service
Overall: I would not recommend to stay right now. After construction is over and front desk improves, it would be worth a stay for the beautiful rooms and friendly service

First off, there is a large construction site next to the hotel (which was not disclosed on their web site), which adds to the noise from the road in front of the hotel. If you have a light sleep or want to relax by the pool, I'd not recommend this hotel.

Room: The rooms are very modern, with a NY boutique feel to it, quite large and well equipped. My room had neither a working safe nor hairdryer (more on that later under service). Nice TV, kettle. Bathroom is clean, plush towels.

Location: Hotel is on street from airport to downtown, so not a good location for tourists who want to walk into town. There are some stores and street food nearby.

Service: The bell desk and restaurant staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful, even by already high SE Asian standards. They are responsive to any requests. Housekeeping was thorough.
The Frontdesk was unbelievably bad - in twenty years of traveling 100+ nights a year, they rank in the bottom 10%. Why? On check-in, I requested a quiet room and was assigned a room next to the elevator facing the pool - with screaming kids in the hallway and around the pool, people able to look into the room from pool. Back to front desk, requested a change - and was assigned a room overlooking the construction site next door... next, it turned out that the safe in the room was not operating. I requested to fix it by phone, waited for 30min, nothing... back to front desk, requested to either fix the safe or change rooms again, as I did not want to leave valuables unsecured. Eventually staff comes to the room, not able to fix. Waiting for engineer, he decides to replace the safe - and leaves me with a new, working safe, which isn't screwed down, so you can walk out with the safe under the arm and all valuables conveniently inside.. Looks good, but doesn't necessarily offer peace of mind. At this point, I gave up and decided to enjoy the vacation. Taking about 3 hours from arrival to having an operational room is unacceptable in any class of hotel, especially when the hotel is not fully booked!
On check out, as in most hotels in SE Asia, front desk asked me to wait, so they can check the room (for mini bar consumption, not taken towels, etc). Usually, this takes 2-3 min. After 20min of waiting in the lobby, I check back with front desk - all is ok, they forgot to let me know, complete waste of time...
This appeared to not a lack of effort or good intentions - the various staff members were friendly - but a complete lack of training and management oversight!
Also potentially contributing to the issue was the fact that I booked through hotels.com (which they noted several times), which apparently results in the worst rooms being assigned.

Facilities: The pool and gym are small, but very nice. There also is a dry sauna. The Spa looks nice, but is overpriced. There is an independent spa nearby, DeWave (separate review), which offers nice rooms with private shower & jacuzzi at much lower price.
The travel agent in the hotel was friendly and helpful, but very expensive compared to local offers.

Restaurants: Breakfast at the main restaurant was great: very good selection of Eastern and Western items, good quality. Staff was friendly and responsive.
The rooftop bar and lounge is beautiful. It was very empty during my stay (I didn't eat there), but I'd recommend to check it out for a romantic evening, even if not staying at the hotel.

Value: At my rate of USD57, I would consider the room good value, if it wasn't for the construction and service issues - I don't consider those acceptable at any price point!

Room Tip: rooms x00 - x18 on all levels face the construction site; rooms 201-211 are facing the pool - avoid...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank FollowYourDreamSF
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We went to yogakarta to visit the temples the hotel is centrally located best if you plan to stay there one night to go visit the temples and borbodur
The hotel arranged for a driver for us to take us to temples cost around 100$ if you arrange prior with tours is probably a better idea

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Very nice hotel, great room, nice gym and the spa was great (got massage and facial, both were great). Room service food was absolutely terrible (although I'll admit that their breakfast was good). When we got into our room the washroom smelled. They looked at it, but did nothing about it and had no excuses. They wouldn't change our rooms. The water in the shower smelled of sulphur. They didn't do anything about this either. Ordering a drink at the pool bar, they had to go somewhere else to get it and took about 20 minutes. Then disappeared when we wanted to clear the bill. Checking in took 20 minutes with no line, just took a really long time for no apparent reason.
I'm not usually over critical of hotels, but they need to step it up if they want a 5 star rating

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MattSzilv
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Tucked in the hustle and bustle of the Jogja city is Grand Aston, a true slice of paradise.

My husband and I had a 4 day stay at Grand Aston and we were both truly satisfied with the level of service, cleanliness and ambiance of the hotel. Even before we arrived in Jogja, I communicated with the staff of the hotel and they were extremely helpful and prompt in their reply.

During our stay, the level of professionalism of the hotel staff was awesome. From the bellboys, to the receptionists to even the maintenance crew, they were always very courteous and helpful with a smile on their lips. We were also provided good recommendations for food around the hotel area and we delighted in the bakso and gudeg that we found.

Our room also brought a smile to my face - more than enough space to move around, a soothing colour palette that I loved and an awesome awesome bed with pillows. Both my husband and I were truly enjoyed our sleeps at the hotel and I enjoyed several hours of just reading in bed while my husband watched tv (there was a good selection of channels provided). One of the downsides to our room however, would be the air conditioning system which was not very strong. We were at room 709, so perhaps that needs to be looked into. Everything else was awesome.

As for the food we enjoyed the buffet breakfast spreads which had a good combination of western and local dishes. We also ordered room service the first night we were in Jogja, and we were not disappointed. The special nasi goreng was possibly one of the best, according to my husband. So, great job chefs!

I also liked the lobby of the hotel which was simply and tastefully decorated. The arrangement of flowers in varying vases were lovely as were the assortment of different sofas strewed around the lobby. My fav, the single seaters which were decorated with white stones and the side tables with pieces of wood(?) as its base.

However, there are two things I would like to highlight - a wake up call that we placed but which never happened (thankfully we also set our own alarms) and the absence of a breakfast basket to take with us to our tour of Borobudur. Perhaps that the breakfast was a specially arranged package with the hotel which I failed to adhere to, but I felt a bit disappointed upon going for the sunrise tour to Borobudur (which the hotel had arranged for my husband and I) and seeing another couple having a packed breakfast by Aston. Not a terribly big deal, but one I thought I should highlight.

Overall, the pros of staying at Aston definitely outweighed the cons and my husband and I truly loved our stay at the hotel and would recommend it to anyone visiting Jogja as it is close to the airport, the shopping areas and not too far away from Borobudur and the other touristy places. Best of all the hotel had it all - comfort, friendly staff, cleanliness, good interior design all with very reasonable pricing. Great job Grand Aston! Keep it up *smile*

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple