“Going downhill, fast?”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Yogyakarta
“Going downhill, fast?”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Used to be one of our favorite places. Since a wholesale change in personnel around six months ago, I cannot claim that we regard the 'ole R & B with quite the same level of fondness.

Still, I will still award three stars...

Good romantic ambiance especially when the 'right' type of music is playing in the background.
Some dishes - generally - the blackboard specials can still be very good.
Prices for this type of fare are cheaper than Paris, New York, Sydney or even Luanda...

Ok, with the last comment you can see that I am damning this place with faint praise.

2(?)/3 is not sufficient, even in a place like Yogya where many restaurateurs believe in cutting corners when they are well enough known. General experiences with the incompetence of waitstaff, the length of time to wait for orders to be filled or declined due to non-availability, size of portions, has been covered by other reviewers.

The shop remains a delight, however, and as there is little commercial nous in this direction here, I suspect it will continue to carry the restaurant.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank IndoStocks

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Yummy food at a good price too BUT inconsistent service...”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I read some recent reviews of this restaurant and maybe mine is coming in a bit later in the day given that I had visited this restaurant back in March, 2013 when I was visiting Jogja with family. Being strictly vegetarians, we could not order what this restaurant seems obviously famous for - steaks but they did have good options for veggies in terms of salads, veggie starters, burgers. garlic breads, bruschetta, sandwiches, soups etc. Good enough for a quick grub when you are on the go and I would safely say that they were really really good in terms of taste and presentation.

The service on our first two visits were decent though tad slow but the third time, when it was really crowded, it got really really slow to the point of us waiting for more than 20 minutes just to get our starter. The wait gets pretty painful when you have a family of restless toddlers, are just back from a long day out in the sun/ rain and really want to have it all at one go rather than individually waiting for each order. What got us a bit ticked is that after making us wait for a good amount of time when the person attending to our desk, turns up and we look up at him with our famished expressions in the hope of finding some food behind him, he plainly tells us that "mushroom not available in kitchen, so please order some other dish". We wondered how long does it take them after we order, to let us know what they can or cannot deliver.

However, the staff were polite, accommodating and helpful to the point of listening and trying to resolve the issue. Its a small cosy joint with a good ambience and definitely worth a visit again, as long as they get their staff a bit more alert and on their feet.

• Visited March 2013
Yogyakarta, Indonesia
“Extremely poor service and attitude when packed”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Tonight was my third visit to R&B Grill since we moved to Jogja last month. I'm still contemplating whether it would be my last.

My first two experience at R&B Grill was excellent, which is why I was so disappointed about tonight's dinner. Friday night, just a day after Lebaran. The place was packed and full of people.

I ordered a rib eye, medium rare, while my boyfriend ordered lamb chop, also medium rare. Both dish came out after 20 minutes. I expected the service to be slower, so that's OK.

My potato wedges were piping hot. That's good. My meat was cold. Definitely not OK. My favorite part of steak is usually the fat, especially when it's fresh off the grill. The fat on our dish were not translucent, they were white and hard, proof that that they cooked the meat at least 5-10 minutes ago, but did not serve it yet as the potatoes were not ready.

Called the waitress, raised our concern. Without a word of apology, she took our plates back to be reheated. Another 20 minutes, and our plates were not back. Called the manager, raised our concern. No word of apology. But she went inside, and 5 minutes later our meat arrived.

Boyfriend was missing a piece of lamb chop (returned 3, got back 2). Called the manager, raised our concern. She went into the kitchen and miraculously came out with one piece of lamb chop on a small plate. No apologies. She smiled, as though as this level of unprofessionalism is something that happens often at their restaurant.

To summarize. We waited about 45 minutes to get our meat. And after 45 minutes, they did get the temperature right. But it was well done instead of the medium rare we ordered.

Didn't bother to tell manager about this. Seriously, stay away from R&B Grill when it's packed. Not even worth your time and money. They need to re-train their staff.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank cintasejati
Yogyakarta, Indonesia
“Average and poor service”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I came to eat dinner with a friend, the burger portion came small with the high price :(
And when we got our food, the waiter forgot to bring the cutlery for the small salad side dish.
We need to ask after 10 minutes waiting. Terrible! Should we ate the salad with our finger?

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Vanilla H
Tangerang, Jawa Barat, Indonesia
“best steak in town”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

was here. . .and have a juicy steak .. in town. .love it. .better at dinner time..good ambience n homey ..try for d wine also. .

• Visited August 2012