“Not bad”

Ranked #109 of 202 Hotels in Yogyakarta
Hong Kong, China
“Not bad”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We are a group of nine visiting from Semarang. The hotel is a little hard to find because it is not really on any the main roads. But once we arrived, everything looks good. The hotel has spacious grounds, it gave us free parking and the rooms are big.

The rooms include breakfast in the main dining room which is pretty good. I think all of us enjoyed the breakfast quite well.

The hotel has a swimming pool but it is a bit out of the way and there is work going on nearby.

Another problem is that the hotel has no elevators. If you stay on second floor then you will have to use the stairs. Not very good for seniors or people with heavy baggage.

Overall although it is nice,I have been told that it is not actually cheap and I really would not mind paying a little extra to stay at a better place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank angsa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I really love the hommy atmosphere of the hotel. The location, could not ask for better, so close to Malioboro yet not get the hectic and busy sound from it.
All the furniture is new, the bed so comfy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Serpong, Jawa Barat, Indonesia
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We are staying in Gowongan Inn from December 28th to January 1st. That's right, our planned was to enjoy the new year eve with the family.

We reserved the hotel using GoIndonesia.com a new online reservation owned by KAHA Group, with quite a good price.

Before we booked the hotel, we have reviewed the hotel thru it's website www.gowonganinn.com and I have to say that I was a bit amazed with the pictures. But with past experiences not to 100% trust the photos, we drove to Jogja with confidence and also prepared for the unexpected.

The first day we arrived, we were quite happy with the service given. The reception staff were nice and kind. Since we arrive at 8am in the morning (after 10 hours driving from Jakarta), we couldn't check in yet to the room but they offered the storage for our luggage while we are out for washing-up our car. They even offered us to stay in a room that have easiest access to the pool. They offered us this because we traveled with 2 boys (2yo and 4yo boys).
We said, "nice!"

We stayed in the superior room on the same floor as the swimming pool, although the view is not quite recommended for a 3 stars hotel, the room was ok. The housekeeping didn't do their job well. The floor still oily, there were still a lot of dirty spot around the corners.

Since we brought our 2yo son, we have to move the bed closed to the wall so he didn't fell out of bed. Once we did this, the truth underneath the bed 'revealed'. It was obvious that the underneath bed has not been touch for cleaning. we even found a used toothpick and a waste of snack wrap. Not to mention the dirt! Very dirty.

That was not even the worse.
The next morning we woke up, we found out that the floor was wet! There was a leak in the ceiling! I almost fell over once I went to the bathroom. We know that the night before there was a hard rain, but hotel room shouldn't be leaking!!!
We talked about this to the front office and urge them to fix this problem while we gone throughout the day.

Once we came back to the room the maintenance team has informed us that the leak has been fixed. But what could you say... it was still leaking on the second night!!!
So run out of patient, we asked to transfer to another room.

So on the third day, we did get transferred to another room. this time the room located in the top of the reception / lobby with balcony that over viewing the parking lot. It was a smaller room but I thought it was better then a leaking room.

However, we had a confession from the next room (the fellow Jakartan too) that the night before during the hard rain, the balcony was flooding, and the water ran into the room and wet everything!!! What a nightmare!

During our stay in the new room, we also found the same prob with the cleanness of the room.

The Breakfast.
The breakfasts was awful. The first breakfast we took, the buffet didn't accommodate menu for children.. all meals are spicy and the rice was as hard as a rock! so we have to order ala carte menu for our boys.
The eggs from the egg station was no taste at all.
The sitting arrangement in the restaurant was too tight, and it's very hard to get in or get off from our chair.

The "OK" breakfast came on the 3rd day which we think also something got to do with the increasing rate during the New Year season.

Room Service itself were ok, though. I remembered I ordered fried rice and pisang goreng.. both menu I can say that were ok. Banana fried (pisang goreng) was delicious!
But I didn't recommend the pasta.. it just taste like something that I ordered in Instant noodle stand.

Beside the location that was very closed to train station and Malioboro street, I would definitely recommend this hotel for short stay only. Although, I am sure there are plenty of choice to pick for a better 3 stars hotel in the area.

Room Tip: If you stay in this hotel and would like to take Becak to go around, please use the one that was sta...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I made a reservation by phone one day before my arrival at the hotel; it was confirmed.. but when I came to check in, an attendant at reception desk could not find my name. Fortunately the room I wanted was still available.

Generally this property is good, but I thought the hotel must really improve its services especially on the reservation system as I read there are so many complaints about that on this website.

The shared shower room for studio type also needs improvement; more frequent cleaning, rusty shower head, no hanger, no liquid hand soap, no foot mat

Room Tip: location is pretty good, in walking distance to malioboro
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Yogyakarta hotels

Reviewed August 27, 2012

i stay for a month, the hotel is good, has variety, friendly staff, very clean and satisfied. hopley more improving for better future and more facilities. tv channel need to be improved.
will recommended to others to stay here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

Just a day before my stay at this hotel, I read 2 bad reviews about Gowongan Inn, but mostly aboutthe manager. Oh well, let's hope I dont have to deal at all with him. My three nights there was just perfect. The room was nice (although there was a waste of soace, the deluxe room was too large), a beautiful garden, well-lit at night, and lots of space to sit down and relax. I was there to facilitate a two- day workshop and the meeting room was also nice and convenient. Breakfast was pretty standard, so was the food, but I have no complaints about Gowongan Inn at all. The staff wer nice, friendly, and helpful. The front office staff didnt even mind when I asked for her assistance to take group pictures of the workshop participants.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Danny-Yatim
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My arrival was appalling - I got there at 19.30 after travelling all day, handed over the printed Booking.com form dated 10 June (this was the 6th July) which clearly stated "We hereby confirm your reservation". The hotel informed me that they had no trace of this reservation, the manager informed me that as I had not booked directly with the hotel and that it was full, there was nothing he could do and that it was my fault. I refused to leave and insisted that he find me a room. I was kept standing for 40 minutes before he reluctantly decided to "upgrade" me to a room which miraculously was empty! However, the upgrade was on the ground floor giving on to the garden, with large glass windows which did not open and where everyone walked past and the children played at all hours so I had to keep the curtains closed all throughout my stay. I had reserved a superior on the first floor and my booking requested a room as high as possible. Not the most auspicious start. However, the room - although as I had been upgraded to a larger room the flat-screen TV was now so far away from the bed that I could barely watch it -was clean and the staff pleasant although I would strongly suggest that the manager be replaced as he was really rude.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo