“Homestay away from the bustling city” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tiga Lima Homestay

Tiga Lima Homestay
Ranked #3 of 457 Yogyakarta B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Homestay away from the bustling city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Was here on my 2nd trip to the city of Gudeg.
Book a superior room and was given Lombok room which was at level 2.

Location: Jalan Affandi (Gejayan) - 15-20mins from Yogya Airport (depending on the traffic)
Located inside the street and away from the busy traffic.
Note: Standard room located at Tigalima 2 while the rest (superior/deluxe/villa) located at TigaLima. Both located within walking distance (2-5mins).

Room: Lombok
Simple and clean room. No mosquitos during my stay. Am surprised with it! Good job in keeping it mosquitos free.
With balcony but no view only bamboo tree. (I'm ok with it)
Aircon was not cold, even after I adjust it to 16°C. Told the front desk personnel about it.
One of the guy went up to check and told me that they will inform the technician. I left for dinner and return but no sight of the technician till 2100hrs. One of the personnel did offer help by offering me a standing fan and told me that there is no vacant room available if I want to change. He also there is another room at level 1 facing the same problem.
Aircon was fixed the next day and was working fine (though it not totally cold), until my last day, the aircon seem to be in cranky mood.
Water pressure was not strong, especially in the morning and late evening. I'm fine with it unless there's no water at all. All this has been brought up to the front desk and they acknowledged my feedback. This is a minor complaint from myself as I've experience worst than this during my travelling in other part of the world.
Breakfast was served to the room. Pretty nice, with fruits and orange juice apart from your choice of sandwich or nasi goring/mee goring and coffee/tea.

Staff: Was welcome by the morning shift staff (a male and female staff) with a great smile.
Helpful with my questions etc and the female staff is friendly.

Overall this homestay is in one of my list to recommend friends or family who want to visit Yogya in future. Hope the management will look into my minor feedback. Indeed, this won't be my last stay in TigaLima Homestay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Equizit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

A hidden gem in the city. Was a nice hideaway from the hustle and bustle of Yogya. About 10mins away from Jalan Malioboro but it's not difficult to get to with the cabs and other means of transport available. Our room was clean with a lovely outdoor bathroom. Decor was absolutely lovely. A nice common area outside our room with a kitchen where you can prepare your own meals. Water dispensers were provided at the kitchen area as well. Staff were friendly and helpful (shout out to Toha and Erick)! Breakfast was pretty good too. They serve it to your rooms which made it a nice touch for a homestay. Wifi connection in our rooms was superb as well.

TigaLima arranged for a driver to take us on a tour around the outskirts of Yogya (to Cave Pindul for tubing, which I recommend!, to Indrayanti beach..etc). We paid IDR 400,000 for this tour, slightly more expensive than the other tours available as we get driven out of Yogya. You basically get a local driver and a private vehicle for 12 hours and you can ask to be driven to wherever you want to go. We got Budi (https://www.facebook.com/ibnubudi.santoso.1?fref=ts), who was a fantastic guide and driver. Our only regret is not sticking with him for the Borobodur sunrise tour arranged by TigaLima on our second day (TigaLima had already made arrangements for this other tour so we didn't want to cause any inconvenience but on hindsight I think we should have! Haha). Budi was upfront and honest (no dodgy bringing us to places where he would earn commission and etc..). He also does tours to Borobodur and Prambanan and other places in and around Yogya so you can request for him if you stay at TigaLima or if you visit Yogya!

TigaLima made our stay in Yogya a great one and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who's looking for a homey, cozy place to stay at.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dezarray
California, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Me and my girlfriend ... we stayed 3 nights in tigalima and it was a great experience. We stayed in deluxe room as other cheaper room was all fully booked. And we are really satisfied with the room : it very spacious, the bathroom is very nice decorated with bamboo tree ( my girlfriend like it so much ). They bring the breakfast to the room every morning with good selection of international & continental breakfast.The staff are very helpful and they clean our room everyday. The receptionist are very friendly ( specially apri ... i think it written like that ) he helped us to organize the private tour to the temples with a very reasonable price.Eventough its not in the cty centre but its near to shops, restaurants supermarket and public transport. The receptionist can also call a taxi and its cheap..Without any doubt .... i recommend this place to everyone!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bologna
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights at Tigalima Homestay, in the delux room. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The room is big and comfortable and it's cleaned every day. Good breakfast. TigaLima is a little bit far from the city center, but I think it'better to stay away from traffic and chaos of Yogya and the taxy is very cheap!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Gaia L
Yogyakarta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Tiga Lima is a nice homestay, well positioned in the city.
You have easy access to the main roads, but it's far enough so you don't get crowded by the traffic. Also, Malioboro, the "main area" is 10-15 minutes away in motorbike.

The rooms are clean, comfortable and the service is great. Sela (owner) speaks both english and spanish, which is great, as she was able to help me with any needs I have, and direct me through the city, everything in the most friendly way possible.

I would recommend this homestay to anyone who needs to spend some time in Yogyakarta.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Patricio S
geelong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

A lovely surprise to find this tranquil, leafy accommodation in this busy city. Although it seemed to be a long way from the centre of things, we quickly found that it was $3 or $4.00 in a metered taxi to the city centre and most museums and galleries. The rooms were clean and comfortable and staff lovely. It was a short walk to great street food and a good selection of restaurants. The only thing that would have made it perfect for me would be a reading light by the bed. There was only a very bright overhead light which did not make for a cosy atmosphere in the evening. Thanks to the staff for a good stay. We will definitely book here again if we come back to Java.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mel m
Cologne, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Tiga Lima home stay was a very strange experience. I had an early check in and was helped by the friendly receptionist, liked my modest Flores room(which being on the top floor was quite hot in the afternoon) with clean bathroom(showers worked well) and no extra facilities(but at this price its a good bargain) and was pleased by the strong Wi Fi connection in my room. But the next day in spite of housekeeping services the towels were not changed and neither anything replenished. Breakfast was terrible with very spicy fried rice and pathetic coffee. It is far from kraton or Malioboro Street but on the other hand quiet and peaceful.You have to walk a bit to go to the restaurants around or order in. The worst experience however was with the Bromo Ijen group tour booked through them. It was horrible and the agents were money sucking lying frauds who gave crappy broken down mini vans(air conditioning is fictional), bad hotels and harassed us into over paying entrance fee tour. Especially at Ijen at Cariton home stay where they threatened to leave us in the wilderness if we refused to pay 55,000 Rp as entrance fee(without any receipt/ticket) instead of the 15,000Rp. The Bromo fee was forcefully extorted from us at 75,000 Rp instead of 25,000. I had already paid for Surabaya transfer after informing them about my ongoing flight from there. They did not budge till I did not pay 800,000 Rp for taxi knowing well that I had a flight to catch. This was done with another French couple to whom they did not return their voucher and forced them to pay again. DO NOT LOSE THE VOUCHER and DO NOT TRUST THEM. My worst ever experience at such organized travel mafia who even threaten tourists for extortion. I will never recommend this place unless only for stay.

Room Tip: Go for the cooler ground floor rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank svetlanabaghawan
selamirsa, Owner at Tiga Lima Homestay, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Ms Svetlana,

First of all thank you for your stay in Tigalima homestay and thank you for a good feedback about our rooms ! Herewith I’m as the owner of TigaLima Homestay apologizes for the tour operator behavior in Bromo & Ijen. It’s one of the biggest travel agent for Tour to Bromo & Ijen in Yogyakarta and it’s the first time for us to use their service. After this review you have a mentioned to us, we decided no longer using their service anymore. We are really ashamed for what they have done to you; even though we didn't have any control in the tour operation (not even take any profit for working with them) as they are independent private travel agent company and offering their services to different hotels in Yogyakarta.
And about the room services: I will take a note in the spicy fried rice… as Indonesian people are very passion about the chili sometimes they don’t recognize some amount of chili inside the food, but we have also other variation of International Breakfast with no chili . And about the Towels, We usually changed it every two days unless towels are put on the floor (means asked to be changed) other replenish is changed every day unless they aren't used. I will check with our CS dept for your case. But surely If something missing on your demands you can always ask to one of our Staff and we would love to provide it to you.

Greetings,