“budget hotel in Jogja”

Amaris Hotel Diponegoro
Ranked #103 of 206 Hotels in Yogyakarta
Reviewed January 11, 2014

This would be the second Amaris Hotel, we booked after Bogor but our experience of the staffs is totally different, as we felt like that they were not too bothered about customer service.

The rooms were however good, clean, comfortable, well light up & bright; set-up in a minimalistic way and had Wi-Fi.

Overall: this is a good budget hotel with easy access to Malioboro

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Booked this room for my mom via Agoda yesterday (it said there were 5 standard rooms and some superior rooms left) and everything was confirmed. Then i called few hours later to re-confirmed the booking.

It was so disappointed when she checked in this afternoon, there was no room for her, they said it was fully booked, even I've notice them that the guest were elderly. It's so weird, right?

My mom were transferred to another hotel that was no near to Malioboro at all. She just wanted to spend a night to enjoy Malioboro and she was given a hotel that was far away from it?!?! She finally walked and searched for a hotel at Malioboro herself, it such wasting of time and money.

I called the hotel and they just apologize, mentioned that the one who's responsible for closing allotment in Agoda is sales, and will called me after discussing with the management, turned out after waiting for almost 3 hours, I'm the one who called them. The lady who answered apologize again and said that their system was under repair and the room that was prepared for my mom was leaking due to the rain last night. I personally think, it was just their excuses.

This hotel just ruin my mom's short holiday...!!

So, I will not stay at this hotel ever!! And should you need to stay here, always triple or more checking with the hotel about your booking because I've done double and still a mess.

Room Tip: Just always re-check and re-check your booking
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank laurencia_fenny
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This hotel is quite good with affordable price. The room is clean, but a little bit noisy, because room is located near the street. The toiletries are standard; you have to bring your own one. Check-in and check-out are simple and fast. The location is near from Station Tugu and there is public transportation (Trans Jogja) near the hotel.

Room Tip: Room near the street is quite noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Sufficient is the keyword here. This kind of hotel is designed with traveling business persons in mind. This is a spartan hotel, which is OK by my business trip standard. I always leave early and work until late, so why would I spent more if I only need a place to sleep? This is not a good hotel to stay if you are thinking of taking your family on a vacation to Yogyakarta. You may want to try her sister hotel Santika, which so happen is located not to far from this hotel.

I always stay in this hotel if I have to go to Yogyakarta on a business trip. As I said, this is a spartan hotel, and I recognize the concept right from the very beginning when I book the room through Agoda, therefore I do not expect too much out of this hotel. I always book the hotel through Agoda because I can get cheaper price compared to the "normal" price.
When I use Agoda, and as I already been recognized as a frequent guest, checking in is always easy for me, no more than 5 minutes, I'll already be on my way to my room. I find the receptionist helpful and polite, as any Yogyakartan would (although in one occasion I found out that one of them was my fellow Bogorese..). I always have a good night sleep in this hotel, and as I always wake up early I don't really have any problem with queuing for breakfast. The simple menu of fried rice and omelet is always filling for me, they serve bread also, but I'm not a bread person so I never touched them at all.

Not much to tell when you stay in this hotel, this really is a spartan hotel. I couldn't find any other appropriate word to describe it. Room service is OK, toiletries are OK (although I always bring my own soap bar, I don't like their liquid soap). The room are small, air conditioned and clean. And you can leave your belonging in the room when you need to go out, the security is good. The location is also good , within a walking distance from the famous Tugu Yogyakarta (Yogyakarta Monument) which is considered as the central point of Yogyakarta, therefore you may find various group (motorist, antique bicycle enthusiast etc.) gathering there and use this monument as the starting point of whatever journey they are going to in Yogyakarta. Within a becak ride from the famous Malioboro street, and the Keraton Yogyakarta (Yogyakarta Sultanate Palace) I think.. I don't really sure. Never gone to Yogyakarta for pleasure, poor me. But if I go to Yogyakarta for pleasure, I'll choose to stay at Santika Hotel which is Amaris Hotel's sister company within the Kompas Gramedia group of companies.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Don't allow this hotel fool you.
Big location map at reception area to show you places of interest and where the hotel is located.
Fast check in.
Disappointed with drinks vending machine as it was still under repair.
Self service to hot / cold water though.
Rooms clean and comfortable. :P
Again, across the street you get the banks, shops and little convenient shops.
Need to bargain though for taxis, bechaks to main shopping belt of Malioboro Street.
For a night out take the horse drawn carriage..... picture perfect moments!!! Do tip generously!!!
Too bad for room service or was too excited to zip around Jogjakarta...hahahahaha....

Room Tip: Windows "open" to side of the building - to allow light in only. Best to leave them down...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This trip was all of sudden (we planned, booked, flew and arrived on the same day) because we wanted to escape from Jakarta. My brother booked this hotel as it was the only one that got rooms left. We wanted to stay as near as possible to the city and the location is superb so we stayed here for 2 nights on a weekend during Indonesian school holiday period.

As expected, it looked busy as hell (at least 30 people standing and chatting almost all day), particularly in check-in / tiny restaurant area. Check-in took about 30 minutes, which was OK.
The room itself is very small and not clean. For the price we paid (around 70$/night) was definitely very disappointing. It is Yogyakarta (Indonesia in general), you could find better deals out there!

The nightmare came in the early morning. Everyone was quite in a rush, we could hear their footsteps so it was impossible to sleep further (after a long night it could be a huge problem). As we were ready for breakfast (around 10 a.m.), another nightmare encountered, what a huge mess! The tiny restaurant was (still) full, even with 100 of people standing in the lobby waiting for their "turn". The breakfast buffet was very unorganized! Anyway, we decided to leave and had breakfast at the stall not far from the hotel.

Yogyakarta itself is a very charming city. I would recommend anyone to go visit JOG, but stay away from this hotel (especially during Indonesian school holiday)!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Amaris hotel, great location... at the main street of Jogjakarta, near from Malioboro, Keraton and Stasiun Kereta Tugu. I came in the wrong time (holiday season), the price is not reasonable for bed & breakfast concept hotel. What can I say?
Small room but clean, small bathroom, bad toiletries, rumpled towel, flat TV with limited channel.

Hotel staff hospitality is good, except one person with dark safari dress from night shift is very annoying...when we were about to park the car, we were directed to another direction but with the attitude and expression is very annoying ... Good for him, I did not beat that time in front of all the guests .. because I brought my wife and toddler son. I think amaris need to consider hiring again in the future, especially from the attitude and service.

The breakfast is good! Summary.... if U go business trip or hanging-outs with friends this hotel are OK! But, don't bring your family here!

Room Tip: do not expect satisfactory service, make a place just for a rest!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family