“Wonderful stay”
Review of ViaVia Guesthouse

ViaVia Guesthouse
Ranked #8 of 504 Yogyakarta B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed in ViaVia Guesthouse from 15th April to 24th April 2013 and had a wonderful stay there. My 8 nights there was filled with the best staff (Dani, Pandi, Sami, Wawan & Anton) and I could chat with them for hours. There's only 7 rooms here and the staff could remember each one of the guest name.

Location: Jalan Prawirotaman, located on a quiet street. Minimart, money changer, restaurants were all walking distance from the guesthouse. 15-20 mins from the airport if traffic is good. Cost IDR 55k for a coupon taxi in the airport.

Papua Room: Big, with AC and private indoor toilet (Hot/cold shower). Room was clean and bedsheet & towel smell nice. No insects/creatures was found during my stay in the room. Cost IDR 200k per night and I get a free 1 night after staying more than 7 days. Disadvantage is, the room has limited place to hang my clothes with only 2 hangers and no cupboard. Hope they can look into this.

Staff: Dani, Pandi, Sami, Wawan & Anton (night shift staff) was so friendly. They will chat with you and asked how's my day and so on. No matter how tired I am and even after my torturing hike to Mount Merapi, I can just sit with them and shared my experience to the summit for hours. You won't get that if you stayed in a big hotels. Mbak Dani did help me find a cheap and good driver for my trip to Borubudur & Prambanan, and not forget my weekend trip to the beach with a very good price quote from the driver. Dani also help me find a good masseur (cheap!) after knwing my whole body sore after the trip. I feel like a family after staying for more than a week there.

Breakfast: Simple yet nice breakfast was served everyday at the garden. Menu changed daily.

Overall, I would recommend this guesthouse to anyone who want to stay cheap and not really fussy about the basic necessities. Keep up the good work guys!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
viaviaj0gja, Manager at ViaVia Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Thank you very much for this excellent review!! And, thank you for mentioning our wonderful staff by name! I agree, they are great!

Hope to see you again!!

There are newer reviews for ViaVia Guesthouse

Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed after a recommendation from friends and didn't regret it at all. The staff were lovely and friendly, the rooms though basic were clean and comfy and the tours operated through the cafe were all great. We did the village cycle which was good fun and interesting though hot! Definitely do the sunrise Borobudur temple, very early start but you have the temple practically to yourselves for a few hours and the sun coming up over the hills are beautiful and shouldn't be missed! Also prambanan is good on the motorbikes, and the batik class is great fun and you get to keep your painting which is a nice touch.
Would recommend to all

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Dave,

Thank you very much! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and our tours!!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We are backpackers and found this guesthouse good for us.
The room was basic and simple and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
Good-The room was large, it was cleaned everyday, breakfast was really good, seating area was pretty and nice for having breakfast or drinks in the evening, the showershad really nice hot water, the location is quiet and off the main road so you always got a good night sleep.
Bad- The Sulewesi room had an open roof bathroom with a tree in it so there were quite a lot of ants and bugs, the room also needed a lick of paint and had very large ants running around the floor and ants on the walls, the toilet didn't flush very well, only fan in the room and there was a lack of furniture to rest your bag on or unpack, everything had to be on the floor with the ants.

If you are on a budget this is a good place to stay to visit all the site of Yogya. The surrounding area is good for tourist because there are lovely restaurants and eateries in close proximity to the guesthouse. There are lots of tour operators also who you can book with to take you by car in a group of privately to Borbodur and Pramanan which are a must see when visiting Central Java.

We paid IDR 180,000 per night for the Sulewesi room (double bed with fan only and hot water, with breakfast included in the price) This is a good price for the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ellie G

Dear Ellie,

Thank you for your review! I am happy you enjoyed your stay!

Thank you also for your inputs! I personally love the out door bathroom, but yes, ants have a will of their own that requires management! We are looking into how we can improve!

Note to readers: we also have rooms with AC.

Enjoy the rest of your travels and welcome back!

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We had a good stay in ViaVia guest house few days ago: rooms were rather basic, but clean; bedding looked quite old, if replaced would probably give a room fresher feel; we did had occasional visitors in form of ants and some other insects but they didn't bother us, and probably were inevitable considering our bathroom was outside (Kalimantan room). But all of the above was compensated with very friendly and welcoming staff members.

However, we ended up buying tour for Mt. Bromo and Ijen from ViaVia staff member with their partner agency- Nomad Tours. Receptionist recommended this company as one of the most reliable tour agencies in Jogia. Unfortunately for us the trip turn out to be very unpleasant experience: 13 hours (11 advertised) under Indonesian heat we spent in minivan without air-con, with fan only.But the worst part was hotel near Ijen - Catimor home stay: rooms were terrible and dirty, shower needed to be fixed, hotel staff tried to charge us double price for entrance to Ijen and driver representing Nomad tours refused to drive until we paid the fee to hotel member.Moreover, at the end after we left - we realized that someone during our stay in this hotel went through our belongings when we were out of the room and stole some of our cash, in the way that it was hard to notice immediately.

Dear, ViaVia guest house management, we would strongly recommend you not to advertise and sell tours for scam companies.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank OMandri
viaviaj0gja, Manager at ViaVia Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear OMandri,

Thank you for your review! I am happy that you enjoyed your stay in the Guesthouse.

About your experience traveling to Bromo: I have to clarify the tour operator you used is NOT a partner of ViaVia. We do not sell these tours, nor do we officially recommend these tours to our guests. The receptionist of ViaVia Guesthouse did also not sell this tour to you, and did not receive any commission from your choice to travel with them.

Nomad is a good neighbor in Jalan Prawirotaman, and our receptionist mentioned their name as one of several travel agencies in the street, which offer such tours to Bromo using the mentioned minivan services and hotel packages. In the defense of Nomad and other neighbors, this package is actually run by a third party company.

ViaVia Travel, which is located in the ViaVia Restaurant, stopped offering this tour package that you opted for to our guests already a long time ago because of feedback from our guests. Instead, ViaVia offers an overland trip across East Java, which includes a visit to the Bromo volcano, Kalibaru hill town and Meru Betiri nature reserve. This is typically a 5 day tour, which has become very popular with our guests. If we remember correctly this was not an option for you as it did not fit your travel schedule.

Because of your inputs, we have organized a meeting with our staff to discuss what you experienced so that we can become better at informing our guests.

Again, we are sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy the trip to Bromo. However, I do hope that the stunning views that nature offers there were a consolation.

Welcome back to ViaVia!

With best regards.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed in the Sulawesi room at the ViaVia Guesthouse for a few nights and we're quite pleased. The setting was quite lovely, on one of the side streets so it was quiet but close enough to all the restaurants in the area. The staff were incredibly warm and welcoming the minute we walked in, and really made our stay as pleasant as possible. The breakfasts were fantastic, changing every day, and the garden we ate them in was quite picturesque.

However I think we were let down slightly by the room. Although it was spacious there was only a bed and a stool, so it was slightly difficult to put things anywhere (we just left it in our suitcase). A chair and/or a wardrobe would have made it much better. Nevertheless the shower made up for this: outdoors and surrounded by bamboo (with a tree in the middle) really made it feel you were in a jungle!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Alex,

Thank you very much for this review! I am happy you enjoyed your stay, our staff and the jungle in the bathroom! :) I personally just want to hang out and read books in that bathroom!

About furniture to put things on, yes, agreed - we try to maximize on the space by providing boxes under the beds etc. Based on your review, this is not sufficient, so we will change this! Thank you for helping us improve!!

Cheers.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I loved the Via Via Guesthouse and look forward to staying at other Via Via Hotels in the future.

The Via Via Guesthouse is off the main streets of Prawirotaman so is a little quieter than most of the other hotels. There are a few spacious, clean rooms and a backyard dining area for breakfasts. The staff is friendly and will help arrange activities for you in Yogyakarta.

The only thing missing at the Via Via is a computer. If you want to check the internet you will have to go to an internet cafe.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi there,

Thank you for this excellent review!

We do provide free wifi for our guests who bring their own computers and devices.

I hope you can visit other ViaVias around the world, some of which offer accommodation too. You will find that all ViaVias are very different because we maximize on the local potential where ever we are - in Jogja we focus on contemporary art, for example, in honor of our city's thriving art scene, whereas you can enjoy Tango lessons in ViaVia Buenos Aires!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

A nice, quiet place in a leafy neighbourhood. The staff was extremely friendly and nice - we feeled like being at somebody's place at home. The breakfast was good and it varied every day. The room was big (we had the Sulawesi room) and very clean with a wonderful bamboo bathroom.
The only thing that the room lacked was some kind of a table and a chair maybe, and, if you stayed for more than one day or two, a place where you could put your clothes - there was no wardrobe or even shelves.....so we kept everything in our backpacks. It's near the good restaurant Via Via Café and there are bars, shops, markets and tourist agencies nearby. A highly recommended place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple