“Beautiful Javanese Heritage mirroring the Royal Palace”

nDalem Gamelan Hotel
Ranked #31 of 511 Yogyakarta B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I was recommended to stay here by an Indonesian tripadvisor forum expert. I was arriving in a car with my guide and driver and Ibu greeted me warmly. She was surprised that I was in full javanese costume. I explained that we were at Imogiri visiting the grave of Sultan Agung. She seated me in the main living room for the ultimate photo moment. It was indeed like living in the Kraton with beautiful decorations, floor tiles and antiques that mirrored the royal palace.
My room is very comfortable with A/C and a nice mirror and dresser table. The mundi is clean and easy going.
Breakfast was great with toast and egg and soursop or gauva juice. The location is superb, as it is of walking distance to my favourite shop Tjokrosuharto art and craft and antiques. Close by, my guide and driver and I had dinner at Bale Raos in the Kraton.
I showed Ibu a painting of myself in the room in front of the javanese mirror that I painted based on photos of the hotel before the trip. She immediately noticed the same tile floor in the painting and the place we are standing on. I gave her a copy of the painting and she was very happy. It is a very nice place to stay in and Ibu and Pak were most helpful in everyway.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful but suited different needs. I stayed in the one with 1 big bed, 2nd roo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank mucuna

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Beautiful stay close to the Kraton in Yogya. Maria is really helpful if you need any assistance for booking a trip, getting a taxi or just need information about the area. We booked only for one night before leaving to Bali in the evening but she let us use the the bathroom and the shower again after we came back from our trip to Prambanan before leaving to the airport. Breakfast is also nice in the garden.

Really nice stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ozelot33
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is a very nice homestay in Yogyakarta. Especially the staff is very friendly and helpfull.

Plus:
- Nice and clean rooms with airco
- Maria speaks excellent English and helps you with the planning and booking of trips and tours
- The best tea and coffee whenever you like
- They can make lunch and/or dinner for you if you ask for it

Negative:
- No muskito nets
- Maybe a little bit more expensive than other stays in the same category
- Not located in the backpackers district, so few good restaurants in the proximity (though with a becak, you can reach anything you want in a few minutes).

Global
We would surely recommend this stay. The staff was one of the nicest we met in whole our trip in Indonesia.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Maarten P
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great staff. Very nice, very accomodating. Really make u feel at home. I'll be back.
By the way...no swimming pool ( could not delete the setting ). The hotel is very small and located in the boundaries of the Keraton of Yogya. The Keraton is the home of the Sultan.

Room Tip: Any room. Only 3 rooms available.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Marc P
Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights, the manager Maria is super nice and friendly. The hotel is small only has 3 rooms but offers wonderful service and beautiful interior, we loved to sit in the lobby area in the afternoon and enjoy our time. The staff would come and ask you if you need any coffee or tea. It's home, it's a very comfortable house and I really wanna call it my home.

The staffs are very polite and helpful, Maria is very nice and she knows places to go in Jogja and she also offers you some tips when traveling in Jogja, I'm very glad my trip to Jogja was very wonderful and memorable.

I will come back again if I'm in Jogja. You won't ever find place like Ndalem Gamelan!

Love it!!

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank Cuxtony
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I love this place! So homey and friendly, it feels like I'm staying in a relative's house and it's sad for me to leave.

This hotel is located inside the keraton's compound, so everything in the keraton/palace is within walking distance. The building and decor looks like antique Javanese house, but there's nothing spooky about it. There is a big TV and karaoke set in the dining room, and an antique horse carriage in front that can be rented by the guest. No swimming pool and gym though.

There are only 3 rooms, 2 rooms in the main building and 1 room at the back. The pavilion room at the back is the largest and can accommodate 4 persons. The hotel was full so Maria put me at the pavilion room with no extra charge.

The room is nice, clean and comfortable. TV is put on the porch instead of inside the room, but it's not a problem for me because the TV only shows local TV stations which is not too interesting anyway. They also have free wifi across the hotel. Bathroom is clean although the shower is not too strong.

Breakfast is a la carte, they will ask you to choose the breakfast the night before. The portion is big enough for me and the taste is quite good. You can choose between local food such as gudeg and soto or western food such as bread, toast, and egg. You will also get a fresh fruit juice.

One thing that makes this hotel different is the top notch hospitality. Maria and Ibu Ibnu are very nice and friendly and they always try to ensure that I have a comfortable stay. They serve from the heart. I would gladly recommend this hotel to anyone who doesn't want to stay in a regular hotel rooms. This is Yogya's hospitality at its best.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank radjaff
Ndalem G, Manager at nDalem Gamelan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thank you very much for staying at our Javanese heritage house.
Look forward to welcoming you here again.

Maria

Reviewed April 11, 2012

I love everything about this place! It has a really authentic Javanese ambience (both house and interiors) and very very homey. The staff are nice and helpful too. This place is located strategically near almost all the famous sites in town such as Malioboro shopping area, Sultan Palace, Taman Sari (old spa for the royal family) and even the most famous Gudeg (Jogja's traditional food) restaurants there and all of them are in walking distance. All in all, I'll definitely go back there again next time =)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple