“An experience as much as a shopping destination”
Review of Hamzah Batik

Hamzah Batik
Ranked #2 of 72 Shopping in Yogyakarta
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed March 4, 2013

$70 (give or take, based on the exchange rate) yielded me 4 incredible batik tops the likes of which would be hard to find in the US and will be memorable souvenirs, 12 scarves for gifts for friends (and me), a darling toddler dress, and a couple of cheesy, but cute, doorstops. I could have spent another hour searching for sarongs, tableware, etc., but didn't want to abuse dear hubby who is not a shopper. Not really sure how you try things on here: I slipped them on over my t-shirt and hubby served as my 'mirror' to ensure fit + attractiveness. Definitely helps to go with a friend. And don't be afraid to ask the staff (pantomime works) if you want to find something: I wanted to find scarves and never would have found them without asking. If you want a more upscale experience (slightly pricer and definitely less junk to wade through), stop at Batik Keris up the street beforehand to browse and stop back afterwards to pick up anything you didn't find at Mirota. PS: if you can handle shopping for clothes at Marshalls/TJMaxx, you can handle sifting through the racks of batik here. Plus -- it's a Yogja institution!

1  Thank VAis4luvers

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I don't know why they named it 'Cabaret', since there only drag queens singing popular songs with no stories at all. Very entertaining and the ticket is too cheap for that spectacular show.

You can take pictures with those queens after the show by the way...

2  Thank Chicko S
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I was so enjoying the atmosphere, it's so ethnic with the dupa smell (traditional aroma therapy) all around the shop and the gending jawa song (Javanese traditional song). We were so enjoying the moment for we didn't realize we had spent quiet long times searching for batik at the shop. It was almost 9 pm, the officer had announced all the customers through the microphone that the shop was going to close at 9 pm. Knowing that the shop was going to close soon, we decided to come again here tomorrow night, because we still needed to buy some batiks for oleh-oleh (gift).

Reviewed January 16, 2013

there is a lot of junk to wade through, but also lots of gems at very good prices and different levels of quality to cover the range of my needs. the kitsch factor is also fun. i bought all my souvenirs for jogja from this one spot in an hour. clear fixed prices and paid by credit card.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Looking for batik for ladies and kids, don't bother going there! The quality or model are limited with poor quality. Much difference from 3 year ago when i went there. But the chocolate Monggo is still there and still taste amazing