“Fine guesthouse but don't book tours with them!”
Review of Wisma Ary's

Wisma Ary's
Ranked #90 of 487 Yogyakarta B&B and Inns
Siem Reap, Cambodia
“Fine guesthouse but don't book tours with them!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The guesthouse itself is okay, the first room I had smelled terrible, but luckily I could change rooms. The bathroom is...interesting. The staff was really friendly and I was invited to whiskey and coke by them. Breakfast was average, but there was free coffee and tea available throughout the day.
But the tour I booked with them was a big disappointment... I went to Bromo and Ijen. The first day was fine but the second day we got a minibus without aircon and it was so old and cramped that I have a big bruise on my leg. This was still not so bad but then instead of the aircon minibus we were put in a local bus, without windows and sharing your seat with locals. It was boiling hot, standing in full sun was actually cooler than the bus.
Luckily I had to change busses after 1 hour, when the bus office told me the agency at Bromo gave me a fake ticket and I had to pay for a local bus to my destination. And of course no name or phone number on my ticket...
Of course this is not directly the fault of the guesthouse but still I assume that they cooperate with reliable agencies. I heard a lot about these scams and that it why I booked it through the guesthouse, it was expensive but I thought then I would have a good trip. But instead other people got a lot more value for their money and didn't get ripped off!

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank LisanneDG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and our breakfast was awesome. The hotel receptionist is accommodating. Our room and bathroom is clean. In front of our balcony room there’s a free coffee. Our pillow and bed is ok. There garden is really lovely and a free Wi-Fi. From Adisucipto International Airport to our hotel by airport taxi it took us at least 20-30mins and it cost us at least Rp 50,000-60,000. The location of this hotel is safe and there’s a nearby grocery and bakery store.
I’m glad I read some of the reviews from trip advisor and I found Ukhi and emailed him(http://yogyadriver.com) as he offers driving and guide service around Yogyakarta with a couple of drivers . He gave us a reasonable price for our Prambanan, Borobodur, City tour and Dieng Plateau. Ukhi assigned Nando as our guide and driver; he was reliable, friendly and safe driver.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stay 2 nights with good breakfast. ooms are reasonable for short stay but litle bit dark because the ceiling is covered with bamboo. Nothing to complain for the price with good location and excellent service provided for touring around the city, to Borobudur, Prambanan and Merapi Volcano. Tere are good restaurants near the guesthouse.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This hotel was a fine location, nothing but a short taxi ride away from everything, the breakfast was really nice, the bathroom was insane and the beds were comfy. However there was little to no lighting in the bedrooms and the Mosque is insanely loud at about 4am, it literally felt as if there was a man in my room screaming at me, thats how loud and clear it is. Even my friends who go into the deepest of sleeps were shaken wide awake from the loud noise.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MC12491
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We booked Wisma Ary's because the place looked interesting but I wouldn't say it was anymore than ordinary. The rooms were okay but too dark and had a lot of mosquitos in them and the breakfast was very basic. The bathrooms are interesting but the bath would be hazardous for anyone with fragile bones.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Viana do Castelo, Portugal
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Stayed 6 nights. Loved the garden and staff. Room was quiet enough at night (second floor). Bed was firm and large (I'm tall). Nice communal verandas facing lovely garden with each room getting a love seat and a table of hot water, tea bags and coffee. Four dislikes with 2nd floor rooms. Bad lighting for evening reading. No ceiling fans yet the high ceiling rooms on second floor beg for them - this leaves you with choice of A/C or open to sleep (there are quite a few mosquitoes in Yogya). Owner you could save some money on A/C! Rooms have solid dark brick interior walls for about 12 feet then I think woven rattan up to the ceiling - result is you can hear your neighbors quite clearly. Artistic (?) bathroom design may be attractive to some with a taste for the different but the bathtub/shower is downright dangerous for even the agile to get in and out off when wet. Bathroom is small, awkward and unhygienic (those trippy walls are hard for the staff to keep clean!). Breakfast is passable but tiresome for longer than a couple of days - but staff will rustle you up something if you go out very early for a trip somewhere. Agus on the desk was a magician at organizing trips further afield and the prices were reasonable for Yogya. There is much to see ancient ruin-wise other than the big two sites. The Wisma Ary's location is fine for walking or bejaking to the Kraton, Water Palace and the lovely local neighborhoods that surround them. Two good restaurants (Kedai Kebun and Bu Ageng - walk to your right outside the hotel) and a Dutch owned coffee house (JL - walk to the left) are within a 5 minute stroll. The main tourist enclave with many more restaurants and shops is a 15 to 20 minute stroll to the right along a very busy street with no sidewalks (the norm in Yogya). All in all, for the price and location this is an ok place for a few nights.

Room Tip: Second floor on left faces the street which is noisy until evening but has better breeze. On right y...