“Best value in the area!”

Mercury Guest House
Ranked #211 of 511 Yogyakarta B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Having stayed one night at Via Via - they were booked up the next night - I spent a couple of hours walking around all the guesthouses in the area and the Mercury was the cheapest available and much better value than any others, I stayed 2 nights here.

The staff were friendly, breakfast was fine, hot water was very hot, room was spacious and clean - plus I slept better here than anywhere else in Indonesia - didn't have any problems with the noise - I was in room 9 halfway towards the back.

The garden & breakfast area is peaceful with plenty of seating and the wifi was as good as anywhere else.

I didn't have any problems that other people seem to have had and this would be my first choice if I'm ever back in Yogyakarta

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank amckenzie

Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Javanese guest house with good value and service. The staff very helpfull and friendly. The location in backpacker area, aound traditional market and you can see Javanese atmosphere. You can try free Indonesia nasi goreng at breakfast time. Mercury is my favorite guest house in Jogja :)

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank eka p
Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is a terrible hotel. They refused me and my friend to stay even though we had a reservation through Agoda. This was at 4am after a exhausting bus journey. When we said we had a reservation the staff were dismissive and when asked if any guests would check to allow us to stay they refused to tell us. Staff need serious lessons on customer service and basic decency

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Travelling-darren
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The first night we stayed here our room was in the courtyard, had two twin beds instead of one large bed (even though we had made our reservation three months before), a small stationary fan that couldn’t really cool the room. Walls in desperate need of cleaning, grit on the floor. And because the courtyard is close to the street we heard noise all night long.

The second day we switched rooms to a room in the back. This was much better. The room had more ventilation and a rotating fan. Much quieter over night.

Breakfast is included in the price. Breakfast consisted of some kind of rice each day (the garlic rice one morning was amazing!), toast, butter, jam, coffee or tea. They would also make any kind of egg you wanted, for a small charge.

Mercury Guest House is owned by the same people who run the more expensive Wisma Gajah Guesthouse around the corner. Because of this, guests at Mercury can use the pool at Wisma. The two properties are connected through the back. The pool was a great treat after long days of temple viewing.

Great flush toilets, toilet paper supplied, towels supplied. Their “hot” water was not very hot, but it wasn’t ice cold either.

We paid 145.000 RP (about $14)/night.

We had read the reviews about guests being robbed while staying here, so we were careful not to leave anything lying around. We had no problems at all with things missing from the room or our bags. Neither did the friends we were traveling with, or the two other families we became friendly with during our time there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndyouandI
Reviewed April 28, 2012

2 years ago one of the staff had stolen my laptop. Because the police came I got my laptop back. This year somebody entered my room, opened my locked suitcase and stole my money. The owner of the guesthouse said it was my problem. He didn't want to call the police because if he did he had to pay them.
I left and will never be back.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank hans k
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Booked this hotel at the last minute through booking.com. The room including breakfast was only just over £10 a night so wasn't really expecting too much. But, the room was clean, spacious and perfectly presentable. The bed linen was freshly laundered and with clean towels on the beds. Large fan in the room which was all we needed as had laready acclimatised to the climate, having come there from Bali. Bathroom was a fair enough size with shower (which unfortunately didn't work) We didn't bother mentioning it to staff as were only staying one night. The staff however were very friendly and helpful and I have no doubt in my mind that this problem would have been rectified had we told them. Breakfast was fine and free wifi in the hotel too. Lovely pool but no sunbeds. Location is good, with bars all around the area. Not really in walking distance to Maliboro street as it's probably a good half hour walk and the temperatures when we were there were extremely hot. However, there are lots of rickshaws around eager for a fare and they are very cheap. People in Jogya are very friendly and eager to help tourists, so the location really isn't a problem. All in all a great hotel for a stop over to visit Borobudur.

Room Tip: I was told in advance from a review I had read to ask for a room at the back as it is quieter and aw...