“Hotel with traditional Jawa culture”
Review of Puri Artha Hotel

Puri Artha Hotel
Ranked #52 of 206 Hotels in Yogyakarta
Singapore, Singapore
“Hotel with traditional Jawa culture”
Reviewed February 8, 2012

For those travellers who would like to experience traditional Jawa culture instead of modern hotel, i think this is quite an interesting place to stay. There was traditional entertainment served during breakfast and night time. Something worth to mention is the special traditional drinks that they served during breakfast buffer. There was a special corner with a few type of traditional drinks offered to guest, somethings like our cocktail drink but with healing effect. I was told there was one type which was good for cold & flu, one was good for female complexion etc. Well, the taste?! definitely not 'my cup of coffee' but quite fun to have a good try..

My hotel massage was a bit disappointing. The room facility was a bit old but the service staff was very good.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank FairyMantra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Vatican City, Italy
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Well, I did not like it – first of all I didn’t have window, so my room was very much on the “yin” side taoisticly speaking – wet and dark,, I also did not like the food. Otherwise the lobby with all those wooden elements was nice, the part on the other side of the road where breakfast were served – less so. Nothing really to recommend.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank fobski
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed December 24, 2011

I was in Puri Artha in October 2011. I found the accommodations lack luster. The choices were very limited, the breakfast spread was so limited and not continental. There was bread, jam and eggs had to be requested. Local cuisine was plentiful, almost no choices for vegetarians and vegans. The bathroom was clean but hot water for baths have to be requested after 10 pm. It takes a long time for the water to heat up. The service was mediocre and the front desk staff were reluctant to exchange USD of lower value, i.e less than USD 50. The exchange rate at the hotel was misrable, better rates in nearby areas. They were also a little discourteous when inquiring about nearby eateries.

The location is good because it is easy to get to the main shopping areas. Mirota is a must with plenty of souvenir items available at reasonable prices. The taxi use meters and they are plentiful. Hotel staff can flag down taxis and there are many there. There are many choices for food outside the hotel. Along the main road from roadside hawkers to cosy cafes with reasonably priced coffee. There is a laundry near the hotel which is much cheaper than the internal service.

Overall my main complaints are about the food and hotel staff service.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Janarthani A
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of weeks whilst undertaking language studies at a nearby school. Staff were invariably very friendly and efficient. Andi the Manager was a stand out and particularly helpful. The rooms are clean and the hotel's surroundings are very pleasant. I strongly recommend this hotel. It is not located in the centre of Jogja but they have a good (free) shuttle service.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank David255057
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Upon arrival at Yogyakarta, I was greeted by the hotel staff at the airport (hotel offers shuttle service). Mr Kundasar (hope I got his name correct) is really friendly and nice, even helped me with my multiple luggage. The hotel is located relatively close to the airport, around 15 minutes drive.

Lovely interior, very Balinese feel around the hotel, wonderful garden/yard, nice swimming pool, and rooms have a Javanese feel to it. Staff cleaned my room daily and helped arranged my (not much of a) mess too. During my first week, the toilet's flush keep breaking down. I had to call the Front Desk at least twice/thrice a day. It was quite a hassle and I was given the suggestion to switch rooms, yet I stayed in the same room until the very last day because the staff are really attentive. Eventually they changed the rubber thing inside the flush and it was fine.

One thing I don't fancy about the room is the lack of power sockets. I only found one next to my bed and another at the pantry. I needed to work on the table, but could not find any near it except for the one connected to the television set.

The hotel is split into two sides, both across each other, with a traffic attendant assisting you at crossing the road (needed during the day). Hotel is not located on the main road so the street is really quiet at night - safe nevertheless.

My organisation was occupying their Lintang Room (conference room) above the restaurant. The electricity tripped several times a few days. Besides that glitch, everything was fine.

Food wise, the breakfast spread was so-so. But the lunch and tea breaks we had the hotel prepare for us were scrumptiously good and have a wider choice of food.

Staff, as mentioned, are super helpful. Even in wee hours in the morning, with me walking in and out the lobby, there will be someone greeting/smiling you.

Strategic location. Close to airport and Prambanan (the Hindu temple), next to a launderette (1kg for 3,500IDR - that's less than USD1), 10 minutes walk from fruit stalls (yum!), several convenience stores on the same street, a number of eatery outlets around the area - you can find almost everything within walking distance!

Malioboro is a 21,000IDR cab ride away. But, you know what, I've gone to and fro Malioboro from the hotel a handful of times, they NEVER used the same route. Was telling my friend that I would have seen the whole of Yogyakarta city if they keep giving detours. Bah! *sorry went of tangent a bit* The hotel provides shuttle service to Malioboro too, if you are in a big group.

If you are a fan of Yoga, there is a yoga studio behind the hotel (the one opposite the reception). You can get the daily yoga schedule at the reception area (black and white printed/folded paper)

Overall, I had a fantastic stay during those 2 weeks. Definitely miss everyone at the hotel, and I will stay at Puri Artha again when I head back to Yogyakarta!

Room Tip: I love the room on the other side of the hotel (not the one with the reception), where the swimming...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
genova
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We stayed at Puri with our friends during our vacation in Indonesia. The hotel is very good and the quality of service was really excellent. The style is tipical Indonesian and I appreciated it a lot, instead of having accomodation in the international hotel like Sheraton or Hilton.
For breakfas youcan enjoy a huge variety of food....I suggest this hotel which has a good value for money

Room Tip: near the pool!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sanguisa
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 25, 2011

The hotel is located away from the bustling Maliaboro commercial area which, on the one hand, allowed us to rest there away from noise and traffic, and on the other hand made it difficult to return at night if away from roaming taxis.
The staff was very helpful and experienced, we were to appreciate this when moved to the next hotel whose staff gave a lot of incorrect directions to our taxis.
The food at the Puri Artha was not delicious as I would have expected. The breakfast buffet was adequate for Indonesian standards, with lots of fresh fruit, Western and local offerings. The dinner food, however, was bland and unimaginative and left much to be desired.
Next time I will probably go to a hotel closer to the center of town, but will look for a hotel with well established staff, like this one.

Room Tip: Pay in dollars!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family