“Michelin Star quality”

Rosso
Ranked #100 of 8,207 Restaurants in Jakarta
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Meaning "red" in Italian, Rosso represents passion, warmth and elegance. The restaurant offers sensational yet authentic Italian cuisine, a combination designed to stimulate the well-known Italian passion for vibrant lifestyle and food.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I think this is the best Italian mean I have had in Asia and actually better than many in Italy. You have got to go and try it out. It is Michelin Star quality. The starter is a buffet selection of anti pasta. This alone is outstanding.

I then had a first rate soup which came with perfect bread.

For the main I had the Tenderloin. Subtle flavours, excellently balanced. This was the centre of the meal and it had real star quality.

It is a place to delight you and remind you of what a chef can do with the simplest ingredients. Its all in the art of cooking by someone who really knows about Italian food.

I will certainly go back there at the first opportunity. Many congratulations to the chef.

The price was amazingly cheap at only about £24 for a three course meal.

SLJDMM, General Manager at Rosso, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Nemo149,

First and foremost I would like to thank you very much for your patronage at Rosso and for taking your precious time to share your experience here. It is through valuable feedback such as yours that we are able to continuously improve our standards.

It is thoroughly appreciated that you found the food served at Rosso excellent. I am more than glad to share your compliments with our chef and team members who will be delighted to be recognized in such friendly manner.

It is our privilege to be of service to you and we are looking forward to welcoming you back at Rosso and Shangri-La Hotel, Jakarta in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,
Juergen Doerr

Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is an Italian restaurant.

Porcini mushroom soup cappuccino with truffle oil and Tuscan cantucinni

Mushroom soup + cappuccino (!) + truffle oil + served in a coffee cup (with a layer of foam on top) = AMAZING!!! INDESCRIBABLE!!! I really don’t know to describe it but it is out of this world. I don’t think I have ever this enthralled by food before. I think the chef must be quite, quite genius. AMAZING!!! INDESCRIBABLE!!!

Crispy suckling pig “rustico” with roasted potatoes, bell peppers, stewed tomatoes and a garlic and rosemary sauce

The protein fills you up very well but it is a little too oily for my taste. I recommend you get wine to go with this. The roasted potatoes are perfect though.

Semifreddo al torroncino

There were rough chips of ice in the middle of it. Seriously??? Seriously???!!! I would encounter this in Shangri-la???

Rosso’s décor is nice. I think it’s worth it to come in, have a cup of coffee/ wine and enjoy the ambience. I think that can be an enjoyment in itself, all the more so if it’s raining a storm outside.

For full review and complete set of photos, please visit http://travelrestauranthotel.com/blog/20130530-rosso-shangri-la-jakarta-jakarta-indonesia/#comments

4  Thank The_TRH_Website
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Given the troubled traffic jams in Jakarta, and the lack of nearby walking-distance centers (malls, shopping areas), as a hotel guest with no biz dinner commitment I usually have dinner here.
Throughout the years - four in total - I learnt what to order and what to skip.
Rest assure that, besides for ordering, you won't be much stressed by the staff: in fact, there might be even four people asking you to order whilst you've just started to check the menu, but once ordered, it will be difficult to grab one to ask something extra - you'd better take the chance when they collect the empty plate.
In general seafood is ok albeit the portions are quite small. Pasta is fine albeit they tend to cover it too much with liquid sauce, which tends to soften too much the pasta.
Tiramisu is simply to be avoided.
I come from the city that invented tiramisu, and I had it in 2010, 2011 and 2012.
This time, I am honest, I didn't dare order it.
It is just too heavy, little proper mascarpone not blending with savoiardi, and too much cocoa on top of it. I wonder if they actually use the mascarpone.
Usually they do not greet when you leave the restaurant, which strikes with the Italian warmth that one expects to find in an Italian restaurant.
Maybe because I was on my own, yet it does not justify this lack of manners.
I do hope they can improve it overall, as the venue is nice and it is ideal both for business meals and a casual one, especially after a long working day.

1  Thank Diabolik77
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We have always liked Italian food. The food here is simply great and, above all also reasonably priced. The staff are corteous and very helpfull. We would certainly come back

Reviewed May 21, 2013

One of the best restaurants in jakarta. I would love to come back and eat in this restaurant for more.