“One dissapointing night”

Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood
Neighborhood: Kebayoran Baru
Neighborhood: Kebayoran Baru
Reviewed December 24, 2018 via mobile

24th December was a good time, having a short road trip back from Bandung, joy ride and we decided to choose Mandala for our dinner. Besides good food and great taste, this place is a childhood memory. So, every joyful time, this place is one of my family favourite.

But tonite they really dissapointed me. Things were fine at the beginning, but when I realised that my order came out plate by plate, it showed me that there's something wrong at the back. The joint was not packed, but yes I saw lots of take away orders. But I told myself, those take aways shouldn't be a problem as they are well experienced for big orders like that. So I had to ask many times, repeatedly, for my orders, i.e. a simple plate of rice, a simple boiled shrimp and a simple chicken nanking. The rice came last after askinh them 4 times, "where is my rice?" 4 times asking for a simple rice showed that you are not focusing on your order!

Lastly, when we asked for the bill. It showed up 10 minutes later. And when I told him I would use Debit Card, he just impolitely said and left us straight away, saying "can't do Debit Card, Cash only". Wtf? That manner is unacceptable. No signage, no warning at the beginning "Cash only" and you didn't even bother say sorry? And how on earth did you dare to operate without having online payment in place? What year are you living in? With those average amount of bills amd pay it in cash, it's a disaster!
It really ruined my time. Please don't forget that we chose you and we NEVER ask or beg for a food there, we pay! The owner should fix that kind of attitude ASAP, it's really unacceptable.

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed August 18, 2018

This restaurant has been our family's favorite ever since I can remember. We always come here at least once a month. They serve homey chinese food. Every dish never fails to satisfied our taste buds. From Frog Leg with Butter Sauce, Shrimp Roll, Udang Wotiap (Shrimp Ball with Chicken Liver), Fish in Black Bean Sauce, Chicken Nanking, even a simple dish like Omelette with Bitter Gourd and many more. Of course our all-time favorite is their Sop Tahu Mandala (Mandala Tofu Soup) and their Fried Noodle. Not a fan of their Nasi Tim though.

If you still have room in your stomach after you finish the meal, you should to try their durian juice.

Come an hour earlier before lunch or dinner time since the place is not too big and it may be difficult to find a parking space.

Reviewed July 23, 2018 via mobile

Mandala is a place that serves food that are best to share. They don’t joke around with the portion here! The taste is good and well seasoned.

Date of visit: February 2018
1  Thank mayadecraene
Reviewed July 23, 2018

By the time we entered this restaurant, we could feel the ambience from the old days...a small restaurant with a fully decorated room...

The best of all are the foods - they are all very tasty and delicious...they are all like home-cooked meals...

There are a couple issues here...first, the parking lot which is very limited...and you can only pay cash (in this era of digitisation)...

Reviewed July 7, 2018 via mobile

Usually if you are looking for Chiense food, you will go to North or West Jakarta. South Jakarta has little to offer in term of papa mama restaurants that serve classic Chinese Food.

Mandala is one of the place when people come only for the food. Located in the busy street that now has flyover that devided the street, the restaurant façade is obscured and hidden between the crowded signboard and what-not.

When you enter the restaurant, it seems like you are transported to early 80s with the crowded tables like how chinese restaurant is presented in US or Europe.

We order Burung dara goreng mentega, nasi goreng kepiting and tomiau cah polos.

Burung dara goreng mentega is 2.5pcs of bird, and the bird is smaller than those in Renderzvous Jakarta Pusat.

Nasi goreng kepiting served with generous portion of crab meats and they are freshly peeled too (takes a while to serve).

Tomiau is cooked till soft but still crunchy. The minus part is that they don't separate the leaves and the stem, sometimes the stem is tough to eat.

Will come again to try another dish.

Be prepare to share table with stranger if you seat at the long table in the middle. And forget privacy as you can eavesdroping your neighbors conversation.

They accept payment with GoPay. Just scan the QR code.