“Royal Treatment”

Ranked #7 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
NYC
“Royal Treatment”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I picked this hotel because I am a Marriott Platinum member and have a 6 year old. Location is always important, I knew Jakarta presents special problems in terms of traffic and air pollution. This highly rated hotel is next to a shopping mall containing Kidzania. There's an underground route to cross the street into the mall- avoiding the pollution. (There's also a Hard Rock Cafe right outside the hotel, and I collect Hard Rock souvenirs.)
I emailed the hotel to arrange a car to pick us up at the airport, since I understand that can be a hassle and taxis only take cash. Cash is always a hassle for me, I prefer to put everything on credit card. True enough, I didn't understand the reply email, and I got aggravated and responded harshly. I told them to forget the car, I'd handle it myself.
Our first time in Indonesia, and coming from a horrid hotel experience in Bali I was on the defensive, exhausted, schlepping my son and our collection of baggage from shopping in 3 countries. As we headed towards the airport exit, there was a hotel representative holding a sign with my name. He had stopped a woman from our flight to help find us, happened to be our seat mate. She had heard the whole wretched story and was waving us to join them.
I've never had a hotel representative meet me at an airport before. I was blown away. He explained something about many hotels having representatives at Jakarta airport. So that's new to me, and very, very welcome.
I am a bit of a blur at this point, I was so overwhelmed but I know the hotel rep greeted us by name and knew our background and about the email and they had the car waiting for us- he totally took care of us. He took our bags. My experience with being cared for by hotel staff has been a lot of pomp and little circumstance... mostly just wanting to book services for us. This was actual help and actual caring.
Our car was exactly what I wanted, a nonsmoking sedan, inexpensive, (actually I think it was a Mercedes or BMW, quite nice car, but it cost very little.)
Yes, there is security at the hotel. That's usual.
Andi, who I had blasted in my email response, was there to meet the car at the hotel. He was attempting to apologize for the confusion but I was too busy thanking him for doing such an excellent job- despite my blowing my stack at him in email.
There was one and then another and another elegant individual greeting us and taking our things - lifting my load both figuratively and literally.
Check in was on the 21st floor, to the right of the elevator while the rest of the concierge lounge was to the left. This was very convenient throughout our stay, we could easily pass by the desk while stopping for a bite to eat, for any number of little tasks.
Again, the best check in process I can remember. While one lovely woman answered every question I had, and sorted out my papers, about 4 other staff members were entertaining my son. They gave him his Ritz Kid registration, and the first of his daily presents! Ritz Kid registration was adorable, he had to fill out his particulars, and play a maze game finding things in the hotel and the room. These were really productive exercises, and made him feel welcome, cherished, and more familiar with his surroundings. What a relief for me! I had to tone down his behavior, he was all too much enjoying having 4 people treating him like a little prince.
When I saw the room I fell out. We had reserved the Executive Level and were upgraded due to my Platinum status to this- Executive Suite? It was expansive and elegant without being frou-frou, every amenity at my fingertips, and without having to read a manual. The view was extraordinary. The bathroom was so wonderful I took pictures of it (I haven't downloaded them yet and don't know if I will be able to add them after I publish this review, but if I can...) The bathtub, with another fabulous view, and a tv, and an automatic drape, and the bath pillow and tray all set up beckoned me like the sirens of Odysseus. Hard to decide which first, the bath or the spacious marble shower with the handset. It's not just that I had a real dressing area, it was how it was all laid out. It didn't look like they had put together a big suite , it seemed intentional. I was particularly impressed with the universal plug adapters they had ready and waiting. I travel with my own but this was a thoughtful touch I haven't seen anywhere else.
By this point I was pretty sure I had made a mistake in my booking, I must have signed up for a much more expensive room than I thought. But I checked, and sure enough, this room was $250/$350 a night.
Less than half what I pay for the lowest rate in London or Paris!

The club level, on the 21st floor, has an insane food spread all day long. Again, I took pictures. From gluten-free goodies to exotic (to me) local fruits, omelets a la minute from morning to tea time, local fare and western fare, sushi, and- if there's anything missing they'll go get it for you! Again with the incredible view all around.
And the reception desk convenient... I had read that children were not allowed in the concierge club level, but for some reason my son and other kids were allowed. It may have been the weekend policy.

Everyone everywhere knew our names.

At check in, one of the questions I had was about Kidzania. Kidzania deserves its own review, but the point is that it can be a chore to arrange it and get tickets, especially on a weekend. I am not sure who it was, perhaps Ahmad, who advised me on it and got the tickets and made it all happen for us, but without him I think I would still be standing in line trying to get in. Instead it was handed to me. And- someone walked us all the way to Kidzania the next day, and made inquiries so we skipped the line again and walked straight in. Kidzania was one of the best experiences of my child's life, and therefore mine. I have the staff at the hotel to thank for this.

I had made them all so crazy, I gave a couple of them a small (I mean small) tip. They first tried to refuse, but when they accepted it was as if I had done something far more meaningful.

btw, I looked terrible. Having come from Bali where we were beyond informal, and lost my Mason Pearson brush when a suitcase was torn, I was ragged. But my reflection in their eyes was well dressed woman of some stature.

I didn't take time for the spa, but walked through it to get to the pool. The pool is gorgeous. Quite dramatic with the skyline and towering buildings overhead. A little strange with some sort of motor running behind the wall on one side, and a bit of worry about the air quality, with a sort of methane smell wafting by ever so often.

We had only 2 days in Jakarta, as even our local friends told us there was nothing to see or do there, but the experience in the hotel was so wonderful, we did not want to leave and plan to return.

The second day, Ahmad brought another gift for my son, a large Ritz Carlton lion stuffed doll which was adorable in itself, but moreover he had my son's name embroidered in gold thread on his cape! My son has an unusual name, and it was spelled perfectly. Additionally, he had a beautiful gift for me!
With lovely, charming hand written gift card note, which I am saving.

The third day, we had another car arranged and when we got in the car, there was yet another pile of gifts for my son, with another charming and gracious note from Ahmad, apologizing that he could not be there to see us off.

We heard from Ahmad a couple days later, he missed us, and we missed him.

I will go out of my way to go back to the RItz Carlton Pacific Place in Jakarta.

Memorable, special experience. Speaks very well of Indonesia.

Room Tip: 2517 was a fabulous room!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank SingleMomTravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed April 12, 2014

It was 3days staying at weekend. Staying there for attend seminar held in their ballroom.

Rooms :
It was nice and huge. Spacious bathroom with city view. But why the housekeeping only set up everything for 1 person while there is 2 persons in the room? I have to call the operator many times for asking this and that. And also for turndown service, was dissapointed because housekeeping only did it in my 2nd night stay (if it the standard?), they also change some position of my things. I think HK need to take note of guest preferences for any guests staying more than 1 night. I dont like somebody move the bottle of water that i put on working table to make me easier to get it while im working.

Club Lounge :
The atmosphere was nice with city view. But i have to say that the food presentation and taste not as good as other 5star hotel in Jakarta (Hyatt/Mandarin Oriental). The choices for breakfast menu or afternoon tea even the evening cocktail below my expectation. They provide "Chocolate&Cordials" at 20:00 onward, and what a surprise when i came to the lounge, they only provide limited and cheap chocolate!I dont think RItz Carlton brand serve me with local choco brand (bengbeng/top/silverqueen) at their fab club lounge?? I need your food and beverage manager should think about it. We paid high and we expect to get high quality of service and food.

Fitness Center:
Located at 8th floor, they provide small and simple fitness center. But my concern is "why u didn't have 1 person stand by at fitness center and help the guests to operate the machine or clean up the equipment used by guests. I have to ask fitness reception to clean up the towel and bottle of water used by other guest.

Overall experiences was good, but it is below my expectation. I prefer to stay at Shangrilla,Hyatt or Mandarin to get better service and food.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Xavi G, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Jakarta, Pacific Place, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear Augusteen

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us.

As discussed earlier over the phone, I'm glad to learn that your weekend was enjoyable and your impressions regarding service in the Club Lounge were exceptional. I would also like to thank you for your kind compliments on the rooms facilities and club views.

However it is dissapointing to hear that we did not meet your expectations in other areas and rest assured we will immediately follow up and prevent any future recurrence on the same.

Please do contact me personally if I may assist for your future reservation in the upcoming month of May and I would be delighted to coordinate all details to make your stay memorable

Xavi Gonzalez
Bandung, Jawa Tengah, Indonesia
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

One of the best hotel in Jakarta. Huge room , with two queen bed great for family with two kids like us . The staff is very friendly. Breakfast is excelent. If we come to Jakarta , Ritz Carlton mega kuningan ia always the first choise hotel we will pick.

Stayed March 2014
UK
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Has to be one of the very best hotels anywhere, not just in Jakarta or Indonesia. Fantastic swimming pool. Impeccable friendly service with the real personal touch. If you have the budget to stay there, you should.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Stirling1952
Reviewed March 10, 2014

It is one of the best hotel, that I have stayed in, exquisite and personalised service, friendly staffs and a comfortable stay. The best club lounge in jakarta with a magnificent view , beautiful flower arrangements in the lobby, Definitely will look forward to comeback.

• Stayed February 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I stayed at the residences but it was amazing! The 3 roomed apartment I stayed in was very comfortable! Alhough the door for the shower didn't close so well in the master bedroom and made my bathroom floors really wet, I didn't matter so much as the housekeeping people came everyday.

• Stayed January 2014
Stafford, Virginia
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We spent 2 nights at the Ritz in Jakarta and had a wonderful stay. The rooms and service were impeccable and the staff at the lounge was professional and very helpful. My thanks to Utha, Club Concierge for all of his assistance during my stay at the Ritz!

Remember to bring your work out gear, the gym is awesome!

Thank you again and see you all in a few months!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business