““Good food and service””

Riva Grill Bar & Terrace
Ranked #446 of 8,058 Restaurants in Jakarta
Cuisines: Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I went there with a group of friends for dinner. The service is really good - the Manager who came for our orders could explain menu very well. The taste of food is really delicious from the appetizer to the main courses and the desserts.
And the top at the end dont forget to ask Le souffle au Gran MArnier

1  Thank Jamestoy64
RIVAGrillnBar, Manager at Riva Grill Bar & Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Dear Jean-Claude,

Many thanks to your feed back and glad you enjoyed your dining experience
in Riva, Grill, Bar and Terrace. We look forward to welcoming you back.

With Warm Regards

Arnaud Nouvian
Manager

Reviewed April 14, 2014

To be clear this review relates to the recently reopened Rivas after being closed for the past 6-9 months (can't remember the actual date they closed) for renovations. I visited the 2nd week of April 2014 during their soft opening. The formal reopening is scheduled for late May. For those familiar with the previous Rivas you should know that the new Rivas has taken a new direction and is going more downmarket. The menu lacked originality and was your basic grilled steaks, seafood, etc., the prices are also more moderate compared to the old Rivas.

The ambiance is more casual. The hotel has closed the downstairs Styx bar/steakhouse and it's as if they combined Styx/Rivas and met somewhere in between in terms of menu and ambiance. There is a glass wall separating the dining room and bar area. During our visit there were only a few people in the bar area and it still was too loud and distracting to be a relaxing dinner. A terrace has been added on the back towards the pool which allows for alfresco dining or drinks, there is another smaller terrace on the front.

While the menu lacks imagination or anything special the foods was well prepared and tasted good. I had lamb chops which were perfectly prepared and accompanied by a nice red wine sauce. Service was generally good but not up to the standards of the old (maybe that will be improved before the formal opening). Despite going downmarket the deserts still include soufflé which they screwed up twice the second time served raw on the inside.

In final conclusion I can't recommend the new Rivas as it's just not anything special to warrant the traffic in that part of town. Management should have renamed the restaurant given its new direction. The old Rivas had a long history with a decent following and anyone visiting the new Rivas who was familiar with the old will be disappointed.

1  Thank GoingFarFarAway
RIVAGrillnBar, General Manager at Riva Grill Bar & Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Dear Mr. Deertz,

I do appreciate the comments you posted on Trip Advisor following your April visit to the new “Riva.Grill.Bar.Terrace”.

We did indeed combine Riva Bistro and Bar with Stix Steak house and Bar to create this new facility, knowing that some past Riva patrons may prefer the “old” Riva and likewise the former Stix patrons.

With worsening traffic and declining numbers, a decision was made to change the style, add the outdoor undercover terraces and promote the restaurant as Riva Grill Bar Terrace retaining the Stix steak elements rather than being known purely as a French Restaurant.

Our primary target market now is both surrounding areas and our hotel guests and therefore price point was a consideration in menu selection and beverage pricing. Comments in general, so far, have been positive to the changes and the outdoor terrace facing the pool is becoming popular in the evenings.

I’m pleased that, apart from the problem with the soufflés for which I apologize, you found your choice of food well prepared and of good taste.

We take all feedback seriously and yours will certainly help us during this initial opening period to further improve service standards whilst action has already been taken on soufflé preparation and sound levels.

Mr. Deertz, thank you once again for your feedback. I obviously hate losing a past valuable supporter but do understand from your perspective.

I would of course be delighted if you and your wife did decide at some stage to re-visit and we would be happy to create a degustation menu especially for you if you so wished.

With best regards

Yours Sincerely

The Park Lane Jakarta

Reviewed October 20, 2013

As one of the old guards of French cuisine in Jakarta, Riva prides itself as the starting point for many successful chefs such as Gilles Marx of Amuz, Renaud le Rasle of Chateau Blanc, Eric Guilbert of Bibliotheque, and now Risky Hidayat - a talented local chef. Although the latter now has joined the ranks of Chef Renaud, it is impossible to not acknowledge Riva as one of the strongest influences for the French dining scene in the city.

I can't say whether I was unfortunate to know Riva after the time of those fabulous chefs I mentioned earlier. My first time was when a young French-Vietnamese chef Mickael Dovan reigned the kitchen last year and I had several delightful time witnessing his talents. Well, Riva's style is unlike those who favor colorful presentation filled with edible flowers or the countryside style - rustic and hearty. It's somewhere in-between but it's always appeasing. One time, Chef Mickael entwined his creations with coffee as you can read here and I had also a really good experience having a romantic dinner once, but then again Riva still has plenty up its sleeves.

I was hugely entertained with its supreme presentation from the start to finish. From the finely seared scallops and the rarely seen foie gras terrine, I also enjoyed my first time having the exotic dover sole fish and a very decently prepared beef tartare with quail's egg yolk.

A really huge serving of côte de boeuf colored the mains, roasted to perfection, and served beautifully as in at a royal banquet. Of course, I had my mashed potato, buttered spinach, and the warm brioche as my sidekicks. As the ending of our wonderful lunch, we were then served with two perfectly bloomed souffles alongside a cup of coffee and the enchanting madeleines fresh from the oven.

Now, the French Riva time has come to an end as it now undergoes a serious facial lift and will return around the end of 2013 with a different concept. I always find it difficult to part with certain restaurants that already hit a soft spot inside my heart. Hopefully, I can still find a glimpse of nostalgic feeling with the new Riva but I am also really looking forward with what Riva has to offer with its fresh look.

So for now, à bientôt, Riva!

1  Thank gastroficionado
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This place has a nice selection of wine to choose, and lots of great food. My favrorite is the Grilled Sulawesi lobster with pasta & clam juice. Juicy and cooked to perfection. The service was outstnding. My only complaint is that you have to make reservations well in advanced, and the prices are really high.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Excellent service and food. A bit pricey though for local standard, but well worth it for the money.

They were able to accommodate some special request like a vegetarian main course (ask me why veg. in a French restaurant - because my wife is not one, so ...);

Allow yourself more travelling time on evenings (especially Fridays and Saturdays) as the road in front of the hotel is congested most of the time.

1  Thank luxplush