“Good coffee, nice ambience”

Warung Koffie Batavia
Ranked #22 of 371 Coffee & Tea in Jakarta
Cuisines: Cafe, Indonesian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Waitstaff
“Good coffee, nice ambience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

I really like the cappuccino, as it's strong (a cup of it had successfully kept me awake until 3 am) and tastes really good. They serve the coffee unsweetened, and give a sachet of white sugar and brown sugar. That made me even happier because I can make sure that it's not too sweet. At around 50K for a large cup, I found the price reasonable.

The food, however, is pricey. The fried rice is 50K-ish and tasted mediocre, as well as the famous kue cubit (who is modernized and, in my opinion, too salty). They also serve the famous martabak (with fancy toppings that we can choose: nutella, ovamaltine, or even ferraro rocher). I tried the nutella martabak, but unfortunately I think it's too sweet and overpriced. I like the poffertjes, though, as they're not very sweet the texture is very light. Nevertheless, I think my judgment is clouded because I don't really fancy something too-sweet.

Overall, it's a comfortable place to gather, even in large group (up to 8 people). The food are too pricey, but the place ambiance and the coffee quality make it tolerable. Will definitely visit again.

OPCO_Indonesia, Manager at Warung Koffie Batavia, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Farraas,

We're very glad that you had a good experience while visiting Koffie Warung Tinggi. We highly appreciate your feedback and we are committed to provide a great experience for all of our customers.

Thank you for your review and looking forward to have you back

Warm regards,

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
“Excellent Peranakan Coffee”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

Most old Peranakan Coffee in Jakarta was known only to old generations as they traditionally never moved to new places, neither opened new outlets. Koffie Warung Tinggi was established in 1878 as Tek Soen Hoo coffee shop. After several generations, the current owner opened a new coffee shop, Koffie Warung Tinggi, and choose a location inside a mall/ shopping center.

The coffee served is a special blend. However they also sell coffee beans of Luwak, Arabica dan Robusta in packages for you to take home. I wasn't impressed with the special blend, but it was a matter of taste. Peranakan coffee was never in my list. For those who are not familiar, Peranakan is a term of Chinese immigrants who lived in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore for generations. Its culture blended with Malay traditions. Not just food and beverages, but also clothes, designs, architecture, etc. It's difficult to describe Peranakan coffee in words. But in short, it is black coffee. Sugar or milk is added upon request.

This Warung Tinggi coffee shop is decorated with art deco design and wooden furniture. Some couch also. It has a nice atmosphere, and most people love to stay long. The latter is a problem during peak hours as many couples love to chit chat.

They also served food. Main course and light meals. I didn't try its main course, but the light meals was ok. Most of them were traditional (and Peranakan) light food and snacks. Cookies, rice-flour cookies, martabak (there are two kinds: flour based and egg based), pinch cake (made of flour and egg, with thick milk topping), etc. Again, difficult for me to describe as most of them have no English names. Most in the menu is affordable.

Attached is a picture of the coffee bean in package. The cup and the coffee filter are my collection at home. Not related to the Koffie Warung Tinggi. Just look at the brown package.

• Visited May 2014
OPCO_Indonesia, Manager at Warung Koffie Batavia, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Dear Pak Surjorimba,

Your feedback is valuable to us to improve our product and service and to provide the best experience for all of our customers.

Thanks for your visit and we are looking to have you back

Thanks and regards,

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A hip coffee joint that serves Indonesian traditional coffee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

Visited Koffie Warung Tinggi for an afternoon meeting and had their infamous coffee; Kopi Peranakan (an Indonesian traditional black coffee mixed with condensed milk) and Martabak Ovomaltine. Both blew my mind as they mixed very well together. To add up, Koffie Warung Tinggi's ambiance is very comfortable and also enjoyable thus making us want to they stay the whole day. A must visit coffee joint if you're visiting Grand Indonesia :)

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Dio S
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Authentic Indonesian Koffie in the Mall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Went in the afternoon for the coffee. Ordered hot Cappucino and Kopi Tubruk (Local style of black coffee) price is IDR 20k-35k. Ordered a Mini Martabak (IDR 15k) with Dark Toblerone topping (IDR 30k) All are delicious and authentic Indonesia taste of old warung.

• Visited March 2014
OPCO_Indonesia, Manager at Warung Koffie Batavia, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Intangege,

Thank you for visiting our Koffie Warung Tinggi, We're delighted that you like our coffee and martabak.

Appreciated your feedback and we're looking to have you back

Warm regards,