“A hotel with lots of improvements needed”

Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang Jakarta
Ranked #178 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
“A hotel with lots of improvements needed”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Staying here one night for a quick weekend getaway in the city. Had a nice impression of the hotel at first, nice lobby, friendly staffs. Went into the elevator and somehow the floor indicator light wouldn't lit when I pressed it. There is a card slot to swipe in your room card-key but it doesn't seem to work. But I finally got to my floor. The room was okay and decent. But the towels were somehow ripped and thorn, seems like an old worn towels being used for over a decade were prepared in my bathroom. Had it replaced right away. The bed sheet was dirty and had stains all over it. And the worst part was when the toilet shower and flusher were out and didn't work in the morning. No water. Had it fixed right away but still it was not supposed to happen. Kind of ruin my morning. The plus was only on the breakfast, it has quite a variety of menu. Overall this hotel really needs a lot of improvements especially on the room cleanliness, an important aspect of all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Starting with the pluses... The staff were happy, friendly and very helpful. Even though Kemang is nowhere near the city centre or the coast (which was a 2-hour taxi ride), it has a good buzz all of its own. There are plenty of bars, restaurants and street stalls to choose from. If you like live music, there's always a band playing somewhere - and if you're a musician (or even if you can't sing at all) - they will often get you to do a number or two! I can recommend the Irish pub, which is only a couple of doors away from the hotel. There's almost nightly entertainment, the service is good, the drinks are cheap and the food there is reasonable.
On the downside, the hotel has seen better days. It looks like it was once properly cared for, but that was a long time ago. I had a suite on the very stale smelling 5th floor. Well, actually I got to know two suites, because the card lock failed on the first one. The staff couldn't fix it there and then, so I requested to change rooms. This was a shame because the first room was much better. The suite I ended-up in had no windows at all in the bedroom. It was generally dark and dingey - and more than a little creepy. It smelled entirely of old cigarettes to the point where my clean clothes ended-up smelling the same. The bed and the pillows were comfortable. There was a plentiful supply of complimentary bottled water. But there was what looked like blood spots and cigarette ash on the floor. So the room wasn't all that clean either.
On the first morning, I was looking forward to breakfast. But I needn't have. What seemed like a good and colourful buffet selection was actually of a rather poor quality - and worse still - 12 hours later, it had the urgent desire to exit my body a lot faster than it had entered. The same thing happened on the night of day two. I can vouch that it was nothing I had eaten during the day because on days one and two I'd eaten lunch at two completely different places. The only common denominator food-wise on both days had been the hotel breakfast.
On the morning of day three, I conducted my own experiment with the hotel breakfast (using myself as the lab mouse), by completely avoiding anything uncovered and - lo and behold - that night I was NOT parked for half an hour on the toilet in my hotel room, as I had been on the previous two nights. I did the same for breakfast on the 4th morning and - again - no problems. So - conclusion? Don't eat anything uncovered from that breakfast buffet. They don't replenish it. They just put it out at 6am and leave it until 10am. The balcony doors are left open for anything to fly in and indulge. Go and have an omelette from the egg station, or waffles which are pressed and heated to the point where any bacteria from anything that has visited them will get killed off. Or better still - avoid breakfast there altogether.
I think I would recommend the area, but probably not the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the corner suite on the 5th floor. The bathroom has a great view over the city, but that'...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Traveladdict42
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there on May 1st for one night. Hotel is old overall. The bed sheet is smelly.

Staff are nice and helpful. Many restaurants around the area.

I would still recommend it if you have limited budget.

• Stayed May 2013
Balikpapan
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have stayed for 4 nights in 5th floor i guess (smoking floor), this hotel located in the heart of kemang area which is great. but other than that, the room is basic, breakfast is super basic for the price u pay. But the staff are very nice and helpful. The check in process are quite long, a bit annoying specially when u just arrived from a long trip. My door was automatically locked twice time, so i have to go down to the receptionist and ask for them to open the door. again, annoying. just an advice, keep the smile in the staff face because its obviously the only reason people are a bit happy staying there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Not a bad place to stay on a business trip. It is centrally located in an area with lot's of restaurants so it is easy to eat out. The rooms are nice and comfortable. Internet was off on the first day but quickly repaired. Breakfast was good but the corridors have old carpet which smells. All in all it is a convenient place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
GMSBAK, General Manager at Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang Jakarta, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Ms. Tanja V,

Thank you for your recent stay at Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang, We are pleased to hear that you found our hotel to be a convenient place . I do apologize for the inconveniences that you have experiences , please rest assured that we are taking appropriate measures to address the problem to the department concern in order prevent future occurrence.
We hope that you will choose to stay at Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang again should you be visiting Jakarta in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Yours sincerely,
Rizal H Sultoni, General Manager, Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang Jakarta
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have stayed with my friends for 3 nights. I stayed in superior room and my friend stayed in president suite room. I was in a 4rd floor and my friend at 6st floor. eventhough the location was very great, but the service, amenities, cleaness were totally poor. on the first day, when I back to the hotel from my bussiness meeting outside from the hotel, I was amazed with my dirty bedroom. the cleaning service dont clean up my room. but on that day, I felt so tired, so I dont ask the front desk or the room service about this inconvenience. at my second day, I found also my room was very messy. they dont clean it anymore. the rubbish still everywhere. they don't pick up the rubbish. that were not in the exhaust. towels and linen aro not replaced. what a very dirty room.

I asked this problem to the customer service, and the supervisor came to me and say sorry about all of this. He offered me to his staffs to clean my room at that time. the time was 10.30 PM, and I've just come from bussiness meeting with a fully jobs and he asked me to wait 1 hour more to clean up the room ?!?!?!?. Does it make sense ?!?

the wifi also bad. I need almost 1 hour waiting for the user name and password. at the some area, the wifi access wasn't free. I have to pay if I want to use it. in the restaurant, when I breakfast, I seated outside. the menu was n't bad but there were nothing on the table. I need to came in and came out for a times if I need something. there waren't also staffs standing at the outside to help the guests if needed. I need to shout to call the staff if I want to ask for help. No spoons, forks, tissue, and other eating utensils on the table.

in my last day (3rd day), I asked the front desk to met with the general manager. I met with the GM but I was very dissapointed. he juat say "yes,yes,yes,yes,yes, sorry"... No follow up or something to do after I told him everything I felt. he even told me that I have to pay the fine because I ate Durian in the room last night. I did that, Yes I did it. I did it because there are no rules about this fruit. and the hotel didn't say to me before that The guest cannot bring that fruit to the room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mira Ichi P
GMSBAK, General Manager at Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang Jakarta, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear MirAyuPratiwi

Thank you for your recent stay at Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang , we appreciate your comments that you have experienced during stay with us. I do apologize for the inconveniences and please rest assured that we are taking appropriate measures to address the problem to the department concern in order prevent future occurrence.

Just to clarified some points that was brought up

1. You have mentioned that you have met the GM, I just like to introduce myself that my name is Rizal H. Sultoni and am the GM of the hotel. If I recalled, that I have not met you in person during your stay with us. I would be pleased that if you could stop by to the hotel if you are in our area so we could meet you in person.

2. Concerning the durian, yes it is our policy and it is may be common practice in other hotel that durian cannot be taken to the room, due to the smell.

Once again, thank you very much for your comments during your stay with us.

Yours sincerely,
Rizal H Sultoni, General Manager, Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang

Travelers are raving about these Jakarta hotels

Lucknow, India
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Nice hotel with an average surrounding. Staff are good; food spread is good though limited variety (they repeat similar cuisine almost everyday). Rooms are clean. No Smoking Rules are there but not followed strictly. I was given a room on the non smoking floor; where other guests were smoking. I got a surprising response from the hotel management; the guests do not listen, what can we do? I found this was a funny response. The conference facility was good. The hotel has stairs but meant for fire escape only which is also surprising. You can enter in the stairs but can come out only at the ground floor, can't get in. Therefore the elevators are super busy and always occupied.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jakarta
Hotel Ciputra Cibubur
Swiss-Belhotel Pondok Indah
#108 of 464 in Jakarta
favehotel Kemang
#120 of 464 in Jakarta

Been to Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang Jakarta? Share your experiences!