“Good times, GREAT service, and a very comfy hotel for work or pleasure!”
Review of Kemang Icon Hotel

Kemang Icon Hotel
Ranked #171 of 471 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

I travelled to Jakarta and work put me in a hotel down the road from Kemang Icon for two weeks. I was complaining to some colleagues over dinner about the dismal wi-fi and sterile feel of my room when one of them told me to go check out Kemang Icon. So I went and had dinner there a few nights later and met the Chef and GM, both from the US, who showed me a room. Needless to say, I was enticed by the big rooms and cool feel of the whole place so I checked out of the Grand Kemang and moved to the Icon for the rest of my time in Jakarta at my own expense. That decision really made my trip memorable. Not only was I more comfortable working out of my room but the food here is divine and the place has a certain personality that made Jakarta and the traffic more palatable. Meals were normally spent chatting with Carter and Brendan, the GM and chef, about the trials and tribulations of Jakarta - good stuff! The place is small but the staff really make you feel at home. From the funky Asian art on the walls to the great music in the restaurant and on the ipod in my room, this place feels like a hidden harbor of cool in the midst of sea of madness. I don't know if or when I will find myself in Jakarta again but when I do I will definitely be going back to the Icon.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank COLonghorn
Carter C, Manager at Kemang Icon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear COLonghorn,

It was a pleasure having you as a guest at Kemang Icon by Alila. We hope you do find yourself back in Jakarta for work and hope to have you back here! We greatly appreciate your comments.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

The Location is great, right in the heart of Kemang, where its all going on. However if you want the tranquil type stay then don't go anywhere else other than here. My wife and i spent most of our time lounging around the fab roof top pool gazing at the superb skyline, be day or night. The "Edge" (Resto) food is without doubt 5*, and the menu varied and different with style to cater all types of munchers. You have to give this hotel a try. What stood out the most for us, was the friendly staff AND managment that simply could not do enough for us. Simply a fantastic stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
Carter C, General Manager at Kemang Icon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear barbarwilliam,

Thank you for your comments on your Kemang Icon by Alila stay. We are pleased to hear that you and your wife enjoyed the rooftop restaurant and pool. We have put a lot of energy into making The Edge what it is and are grateful that the ambiance, food and drink, and service were well received.

We hope to see you back at Kemang Icon soon.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

This place is a haven. Once you get there (through the chaotic traffic, etc.) it's like the world melts away.

The Edge Restaurant has the menu down -- best in JK by a long shot thanks to Exec Chef Brandon. Also, the vibe in the place is great. Good mix on the music front, elegant and sleek but still warm.

The pool is another story. It's horizon drops off to reveal the Jakarta skyline, which is something to behold day or night.

Also of note, my room was huge, and well decorated with quirky local art that made you feel like more of a traveler than a tourist. Definitely recommended for business travel or otherwise.

Room Tip: Anything is good. Facing the skyline is best.

SquarePocket -

Thank you for your review of Kemang Icon. We very happy to hear that you enjoyed Chef Brandon's scrumptious fare. Please do keep us in mind when returning to Jakarta.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I arrived at the Kemang Icon after a smooth ride from the airport with the polite and professional Alilia drivers. I was greeted at reception by GM Carter Crites who provided exceptional customer service. He was a wealth of knowledge about Jakarta, and was able to recommend some fantastic restaurants. Never having been to Jakarta this sort of insider knowledge is invaluable. It was tempting not to eat out because the food at the Kemang Icon was of the highest quality. I recommend their sandwich selection and the garlic and chilli pasta. The rooftop pool is very glamourous and a great place to swim and enjoy breakfast. My room was exceptionally large, clean, quiet with a great bathroom. Only issue- I had trouble finding the light switches. This place was a highlight of my 5 week trip to Indonesia.

Brigid W -

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor. It was truly a pleasure having you stay with us. We only wish you could have returned to Kemang Icon on the tail end of your 5 week Indonesian odyssey. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Getting here from the airport is a disaster, at 4pm it took nearly 3 hours to get here. The lobby was nice, and the room was ok even though it was much smaller than I was expected for the price I paid.

Staff was friendly but checking in was too slow. there are a lot of cafe and restaurant nearby, getting around was easy but had to be carefull of traffic passing by as it was just a small road with people driving impatiently.

The food was below expectation and pricey. The view from the top was quite unique though.

1  Thank Hafizkarmita

Dear HafizKarmita,

I would like to thank you for your review of Kemang Icon by Alila. I was sorry to read about your Jakarta trip. Jakarta is infamous for its traffic and there isn't much as a hotelier I can do about that but I can touch on your two points about our property. I am sorry to hear your thoughts on our room size. With only 12 suites in our boutique property we are known for spacious rooms (our largest is 77 sq m). That being said, all of our suites are unique and individually decorated. My apologies that you were not pleased with the size of yours. Additionally, I assure you that your experience with the food is not the norm here. Chef Brandon's food has been getting many accolades both in the press and from guests. I am sorry to read that your experience was not to your expectations. Again, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. We hope you give Kemang Icon another try on your next trip to Jakarta.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

You'd never thought that this hotel exist in Jakarta. I have a thing for boutique hotel and Kemang Icon did impress me with the luxury. I love the contemporary design for each room and the fact that it's sooo comfortable I chose to stay inside the room all day, all night, on new years eve. Unfortunately, there's no toilet spray...I mean c'mon this is Indonesia, you should really consider this important. Anyway, looking forward to stay in a different room someday, hopefully with a discount! :)

Room Tip: Ask them for the room pictures via email. The concierge will kindly sent the attachment of all the s...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank arisha20

Dear arisha20,

Thank you for your comments! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your Kemang Icon experience. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Best.,

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Jakarta's trendiest part of town holds some really cool places to stay. My absolute favored boutique hotel, outstanding design, friendly staff it was voted by both my daughters (5 and 6 years old): "Coolest hotel ever".
Coming to Icon since 6 years it is a pleasure every-time returning.

Room Tip: They have amazing suites; let them show you the edge rooms :)
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Niki S
Carter C, General Manager at Kemang Icon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Niki S,

Many thanks for your kind words and thank you for your continued patronage for the last six years! We do pride ourselves on both the design of the property and our great team here. We hope to see you and the girls again soon. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly when you are headed back to Jakarta.

cjcrites@alilahotels.com