“Stunning Kemang Sanctuary”

Ranked #146 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Ottawa, Canada
“Stunning Kemang Sanctuary”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have had the great pleasure to spend over three weeks at the Kemang Icon over the past nine months. The Kemang Icon is truly a sanctuary in the noisy metropolis of Jakarta. The KI is cool in both style—a tasteful pastiche of Euro-modern and Southeast Asian art— and (gratefully) temperature. The rooms are huge, well maintained, and uniquely designed with comfortable furnishings, and stocked excellent Allila amenities. Importantly, the staff demonstrates neither the disdain for the less-than-trendy guests, an attitude that seems all too common in some über-hip establishments, nor do they exhibit the faux obsequiousness that can be equally disturbing. Instead, they offer genuine warmth and professionalism that makes you feel like a singular guest whose needs and desires are of utmost concern. From Slamet and Evy at the reception, Benjamin, Hari, Ardo and Mifta in the restaurant, and Joko in the kitchen to the excellent housekeeping staff, everyone is there to ensure that your stay is memorable. Truly nothing seems to be too much to ask. My Indonesian friends were shocked when I told them that the hotel allowed me to take some cash out on my credit card to pay for a long distance taxi a day when no ATM would take my cards, as they were certain no other establishment in Jakarta would provide that kind of service! In addition, when I mentioned to the genial General Manager, Carter Crites, that I was a vegetarian, he called Brandon, the highly skilled Chef of their restaurant, the Edge, to discuss what kind of additional food they could have on hand for me. In all my travels, I have never had such personal attention from people in their positions before, but I sensed that getting to know their guests and ensuring they had a great stay seemed to be a part of their jobs that they truly enjoyed. Furthermore, I can attest that dining on Chef’s inspired Southeast Asian tofu curry while seated on one of the rooftop cabanas overlooking the candlelit tiers of tables and fireworks in the distance was a highlight of my last visit. Even without the special dish, the selection, quality and presentation of the food at the Edge is superlative with something for every taste. There is also a wonderful, innovative selection of Western and Indonesian selections at breakfast, delicious, freshly prepared and artfully presented offering a welcome respite from the bland offerings that one finds at so many hotel buffets. The only thing that I could suggest that could improve the KI experience, is to include some better reading lights, but that’s a small matter when one considers the fabulous comfort and hospitality at the Kemang Icon. I am looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Carter C, General Manager at Kemang Icon Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear TravelingProfessor,

You are missed at Kemang Icon! I passed along all your praise to the team members and they were greatly appreciative of your kind words. Your feedback is key and has led to the installation of some more lighting in our Suites. We hope to see you return soon and safe travels!

C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Great discovery in Kemang! This precious boutique hotel is a very comfortable and home-like place where I healed my business headaches! If you move from a hotel to another you will definitely appreciate an hotel like this one where you can really feel like that's your place! One of the things that striked me the most was the atmosphere that the whole staff would be able to recreate every day and the attention for details. Music selection was the result of the staff mood: don't be surprised if, while having breakfast next to the inifity pool, you hear one of them playing the piano! Also the attention for details, the exquisite taste of each plate of the A la carte menu. Finally the thought that I could get a drink and nice chat with the GM at the end of my hectic day just helped finding my peace of mind.

Room Tip: Each room has different design and special touch! All equipped with great sound system easily connec...
Dear SolounaCucuzza,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write your thoughts on Kemang Icon. Please do keep us in mind should your work bring you back to Jakarta.

Jakarta
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is great hotel in a very hip and fun part of town. Jakarta can be very overwhelming from time to time and it was great to come back to this boutique hotel. Only 12 rooms and each room is unique. Mine was called Intrigue and I had my own balcony, it was very spacious also and comes with a great little coffee maker.

Breakfast was great (try the egg florentine) and the pool on level 5 was really nice. A very relaxing hotel. Kemang is a cool part of town and very fun especially at the week-ends. Lots of small and medium sized restaurants and bars and the crown is young and fashionable.

Highly recommend this hotel.

Ollie543 -

Many thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts on Kemang Icon. We hope to see you again soon!

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have stayed at Kemang Icon many times, tried different suites. I love all the suites I've stayed at (insigni, illusion, imperia, icare, intrigue). In kemang area, there are not many hotels to choose from, and Kemang Icon offers luxury suites with very good customer service, good menu to choose from for breakfast and dinner. I am looking forward to trying their new brunch menu.

Their suites have very unique style, each suite has different theme and layout. The room service and The Edge restaurant upstairs provide excellent service. The Edge is also a nice area to relax and sunbathe. You rarely find this kind of hotel in Jakarta.

Can not wait to try other suites at Icon :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Carter C, General Manager at Kemang Icon Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Ms. Sara S -

Thank you kindly for taking the time to review us here on TripAdvisor. We hope to see you soon at Kemang Icon. Please let us know when you are coming in next and we will make sure your next stay is as pleasurable as your last!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

As one of the other reviewers has mentioned, this hotel is clearly in what is/used to be an office block which means that when you go up to the third floor which is the start of the hotel rooms, you go past empty floors of office space. The rooms are very large due to the fact that it used to be an office, so there is no shortage of space, but there is just something lacking here. The staff are all very friendly and helpful, but the accommodation is just a bit...odd. We had the same trouble as other reviewers with a room underneath pool which meant hearing the pump going all night. Had we been staying more than one night we would have asked to move rooms, but it wasn't worth it for the amount of time that we were there.

The location is the main selling point of this hotel as it's in the centre of the Kemang area of Jakarta near many good restaurants and bars and also near the office where my husband was doing business so it suited our needs fine. The price was also reasonable.

The rooftop pool is nice, although I didn't use it as the day when we were there they were shooting a documentary piece up there and I didn't really fancy being in the background splashing about!

I can't comment on the food as we didn't get a chance to try it.

Would I come back? Probably, but only if we had a different room without the noise.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear naylajab,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Kemang Icon! Guest feedback is a great tool we always use here to improve our product and service levels.

Regarding our property/structure, the building of Kemang Icon was in fact built to house our boutique hotel. The architect of the building designed the space especially for the all-suite concept. Each room is unique from the others and houses in terms of space, art, decor, etc. So you mentioned odd whereas I would say unique, and that it is. The space on the second floor you mentioned is not empty, it was just getting refitted during March so might have looked barren.

Please do come back and this time try a dip in our infinity edge pool and a bite at our restaurant both on our roof and both highlights of the Kemang Icon experience!

BURLINGTON. VT
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I agree with many of the other reviewers that this hotel is a welcome respite from busy, hot Jakarta. The restaurant was very good, and the pool setting just stunning. The rooms were very well appointed and very spacious- this hotel was looking to be the highlight of my 16 day 11 city Asia trip... until.... bed bugs. So disappointed. There were 4 of us travelling, in 4 different rooms and two of us ended up with bed bug bites. My neck and shoulder are covered with probably 25-30 bites.
This just ruined what would have been a perfect stay for me.
Any other hotel I would rate as "Terrible" based on this alone, but because everything else was so nice, I give it an "average".

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear VTtraveler -

Oh dear! I was shocked to read your comments. This is the first I have ever heard of any guest mentioning bed bugs during my tenure here. As soon as I initially read this we had our pest control specialist survey all Suites in the hotel. His testing results came back negative but we retreated every room accordingly. I am so sorry that you feel as though this was the culprit. However, I'd like to suggest that those were probably mosquito bites as you were here in Jakarta at the tail end of the rainy season. Perhaps you were the one in the Vermont group that was wearing the low cut Mexican sun dress? We do offer Alila Living's mosquito repellent for guests in need at our rooftop restaurant, The Edge.

We truly hope to have you back at Kemang. I understand that the VT group might be coming back regularly so please contact me directly if planning a trip back (cjccrites@alilahotels.com)

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was my second trip to Indonesia, but my first stay at Kemang Icon, which I found via the new Wallpaper* City Guide Jakarta. The reception did not disappoint, providing a cool, quiet welcome after a chaotic journey. It's a small hotel with quirks, but the important boxes are ticked - eager staff sorted out any problems that cropped up, even sending someone out to buy me a glue stick when I needed one; room decor is in line with most design hotels I've stayed in in Asia, with sleek dark wood and neutral fabrics; the rooftop restaurant and pool area were an absolute godsend. Chatting with the hotel's American chef and general manager while watching the sun set over the skyline was a highlight of a month of business travel. I'd heard that the area's full of great restaurants, but I never left the rooftop, even arranging client meetings there. I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Fourth floor suites, as far from the next-door mosque as possible (unless you are okay being woken b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ms. Amy -

I too enjoyed our sunset chat about literature and music! We hope to welcome you back next time you are in Jakarta. We at Kemang Icon really enjoyed having you as a guest and appreciate your taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

Hope to see you soon.