“A stylish oasis of luxury with extremely spacious suites”
Review of Kemang Icon Hotel

Kemang Icon Hotel
Ranked #150 of 468 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stepping into the Intima Suite at the Kemang Icon by Alila is best described as a luxurious experience as the spacious 85 sqm suite features mood lighting and soft music coming from every corner of the room. It's décor was very tastefully done with a keen eye for design and attention-to-detail whilst the bathroom was far beyond everywhere else in Indonesia. The quality of the fittings, furniture and linen were far superior to the other places I'd stayed at within Indonesia.

Only downside to the Intima Suite (not sure about others) is that the lighting is quite dim at its highest setting. It's great for setting a mood but terrible if you need light for any purpose.

Outside the suites the pool area is exquisite and it's hard not to want to spend the entire day just lulling by the pool and its cabanas. Similarly, the dining area (which is also the pool area) has pretty nice food - one of the few places that offers a complimentary a la carte breakfast. However, if the elevator breaks (as it did a few times during our stay) you will soon notice there are other parts of the building that are unfinished and unused.

Location-wise the Kemang Icon is in a convenient location with easy access to restaurants, bars and even a little shopping. As mentioned in other reviews, taking a taxi in Jakarta is fairly cheap so location is not worth quite as much as it would be in countries with a higher cost of living.

Although the stay at the Kemang Icon by Alila was very enjoyable and luxurious I have mixed feelings. It's a really lovely place to stay but as an international visitor I'm not too sure how wise it is to book a hotel that makes you never want to venture outside to absorb the culture of the city!

Room Tip: If you view the booking page on the Kemang Icon Alila website you can get an idea of the décor of ea...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank YozYYZ
Carter C, General Manager at Kemang Icon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear YozYYZ -

Thank you for taking the time to let others know about your Kemang Icon experience. I'm glad you enjoyed our Suites and food. Just to let you know that Exec. Chef Brandon has put together a new menu with new offerings and new touches on the old favorites. I'm sure you will be pleased should you find yourself at Kemang Icon again soon.

Just to touch on a few of your points, we have added more lighting to most of the rooms and can always bring in some of our newly designed lamps should you find your room too dark. I'm sorry to hear that you were in-house when we experienced the issue with the elevator. I assure you that it was quickly remedied.

Many of our guests are return guests who come back to Kemang Icon because of its home away from home feel here in the midst of the hustle and bustle of Jakarta. While we are right in the middle of Bohemian Kemang, some guests just enjoy the peace that our Suites offer and I'm pleased to hear you were one of them.

We hope to welcome you back soon (to taste our exquisite new menu!).

Carter

Reviewed January 4, 2013

i had 2 wonderful weeks at kemang icon by alila and i wish i can stay here forever!

from the moment i checked in, it was sensational. the edge restaurant at 5th floor with infinity pool is very well designed - with the cabana that you can spend your whole day there, the service was excellent, the food are awesome, and the suite exceeded my expectation.

all of concierge experience were always top notch to make recommendations on everything you ask for. shopping, spa, etc.
doorman/security guy, also did a fine job. they always look very happy and had really really genuine smile. open your car door and ask hows ur day. somewhat that's sweet.

overall, what can i say? i extremely impressed with their level of service (thoroughly attentive and responsive in all levels of management) and the incredible quality of the suite. Heck, even their shampoo was pretty nice.

Carter, the General Manager is a refreshing person to meet with, he will assure that you had an unforgettable experience there. the executive chef himself, chef Brandon, make me a nice soup when im not feel well, and all the restaurant staff there are really really nice gorgeous peoples. i wish i can say their name one by one but i wish i good at remember names. oh but i remember Johnny the bartender - he made a REAL good booze. trust me.. i love alcohol lol

and Diza the lovely lady - she just like friend to me, this hotel makes you really feel at home. and that's what i looking for when i travel - oh and they're not too much. all of them are really happy and treat you in a professional way. they just know what each guest wants. and for me, that was amazing.
not like oh-so-called-private-butler....

kemang icon are just.. just different and amazing

anyway, everything about the this hotel was over the top. Great job, Carter!!
i will definitely come back in the near future

Room Tip: honestly? if i travel myself i wld love imperia suite. but if youre travel as couple, choose infini...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank surpisinglycomplex

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. I'm so happy you got to experience the full Kemang Icon experience, from food and drink in our new cabanas to the Alila Living Products that we are so proud of!

We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Jakarta!

Carter Crites

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I can't quite imagine why none of these reviews on here haven't pointed out the most obvious fact about this place. The elephant in the room.

This isn't a hotel.

This is a failed office building that decided to take one floor and decorate un-leased office space into 10 rooms for sleeping.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

As reviewed, no, there isn't a lobby (probably because this isn't a hotel). You check in at a temporary-looking desk on the G/F of an office building in between a camera shop and an art gallery. About 80% of the building is vacant. Then you take a lift to the 4/F where the rooms are. Long imposing corridor with brooding drapes and oversized Asian objets d' art. 10 rooms with cutesy names each.

There didn't appear to be any management. Everything is taken care of by 3 or 4 young guys who serve as bellboys, room service, management, reception, etc. They reminded me of homeys, hanging out.

The rooms are all different (ad-hoc transformation of vacant office space into sleeping rooms for hire) in size and decor. The first room we had was directly under the swimming pool on the roof and the pool pump whined and banged all night. Obviously this was a very common complaint because when we asked (at 6 am the next morning) to move, they immediately acquiesced and sent someone to help move us into another room down the hall.

The toilet is in the middle of the room. There are no walls or doors around it, or the bathroom. Anyone sitting on the sofa or lying in the bed can stare right at you taking a dump. So you would want to avoid staying here with anyone you weren't rather familiar with. The shower is right next to the toilet and there is no divider of any kind. Its all very avant-garde.

Typically I avoid "boutique" hotels because "boutique" is usually code for "lousy, amateurish and low budget - dressed up as trendy". Which is precisely this.

The swimming pool on the roof is lovely, it has to be said. Really really nice. Great views and a total oasis from maddening Jakarta and Kemang. Since it will almost certainly be about 50 degrees out, with brooding humidity and pollution, being able to literally rise above the motorbikes, dust and mie bakso carts and relax in chilled water with a nice Bintang is a dream. The slick paving stones around the pool and on the steps are a death trap when they get wet, but nevermind.

Prices here are ruinous - a glass of cheap white wine is US$20. The food is largely inedible. The wifi comes and goes.

Next to the "hotel" is a mosque that will conveniently wake you at 5 am, and if it doesn't, plenty of roosters and geese will.

The location is indeed perfect, and of course this is why we stayed here. There are 2 other hotels in Kemang (grandkemang and bellhotel) and you can't seriously consider staying at either one of them...I have tried and wouldn't repeat. So we gave the "icon" a go. If you have any experience at all with Jakarta, you know that the primary objective is to avoid getting into a car at all costs, so if your business takes you into Kemang, then this place will suit. Tons of bars and restaurants, convenience store, etc. within walking distance.

Strangely enough, I might stay here again. It's the best of the 3 offers in Kemang, and the price isn't crazy for what it is. The nearest proper chain hotels are an hour away in traffic. The pool is an oasis, and there's a decent Irish pub next door. All the effusive reviews here are nonsense, but if you aren't expecting anything more than a basic room in a converted vacant office building for a reasonable price - with a lovely swimming pool - then you will do just fine.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank HKguy
Carter C, General Manager at Kemang Icon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Dear HKguy -

Firstly I would like to apologize for the experience you had at Kemang Icon and can assure you that that is not the norm (in fact all the other recent TripAdvisor reviews convey a completely different experience). I would love to have the opportunity to show you what we are known for - great personalized service in a unique, high-end yet hip setting. Please contact me directly at cjcrites@alilahotels.com and hopefully we can arrange that opportunity.

I would like to clarify a few of the items you mentioned. We in fact have 12 suites (not 10 rooms) that are all unique and spacious which house an impressive collection of Asian art. Our suites have often been lauded as the best in Jakarta! I was very surprised to hear your statements about The Edge, our rooftop/poolside dining venue. Our new expat Executive Chef's efforts have assured us a position of some of the most consistently quality dishes in all of Jakarta and our wine by the glass is very moderately priced. Regarding the wireless internet issues you mentioned, I am pleased to tell you that just this week we have bumped up the bandwidth at Kemang Icon. Up until last week our service speed was 2 Mbps and we are currently on 6 Mbps with plans to bump it up to 18 Mbps before the end of the year.

So, again, I was shocked to read your comments and wholeheartedly apologize for your experience. Please do drop me a line should you like to take me up on my offer.

Carter

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I don't usually write reviews on Trip Advisor...I'm more of a lurker...but I had such a nice time at the Kemang Icon that I really thought I should give them a bit of credit.

This sleek hotel is located in the Kemang district of South Jakarta, an area complete with any western amenity one can ask for.

Just out the door are lines of fun cafes and restaurants, but If you feel like staying in, the Kemang Icon has their own beautiful restaurant on the roof overlooking the city serving the delicious food. I especially enjoyed breakfast (included with your room), try the Scrambled Eggs and Sauteed Garlic Mushrooms! Feel free to "do it yourself" as well because the rooms come equipped with a small kitchenette. The grocery outlet Kem Chicks just down the street imports any food from the West you might be missing, as well as carrying the regular Indonesian variety.

The staff is very pleasant and friendly, always willing to give advice and usually supplying what you need before you even know what you were missing. The owner is quite friendly as well, and takes his time to get to know the guests.

The price is certainly steep if you're travelling on a budge, but I'd consider it a bargain for the caliber of excellence and comfort you'll find at the Kemang Icon.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have been wanting to stay at Alila Kemang Icon for many years as I love small boutique hotels, and my 1 night short stay there was not disappointed. The suite is super spacious equipped with iShuffle. The people in Jakarta are very nice, so that goes without saying the staff at Icon are nice. too bad the shop units on second floor are left empty , such a waste !.
You have to bear in mind the traffic in Kemang is probably one of the worse i have seen, and the noise from the road !

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 13, 2012

As a regular business traveller to Asia, I like to find a bit of home from home.
Kemang Icon is a very special boutique hotel situated in Kemang with many attractions on your doorstep.
Compared to 5 star hotels, Kemang Icon offers a unique personal touch with an avant garde approach to large designer rooms and a unique rooftop restaurant and pool area.
The food continues to get better at every visit under the passionate guidance of  the head chef, who strives to tantalize the senses with his innovative approach to almost every item on the menu.
There's always space for improvement. Some investment in CAPEX to ensure air-conditioning and the internet are available in all areas, including reception and passages, would make a huge difference to the overall experience when you often use the hotel as your base between meetings. The little things matter and everything must work to keep guests in a relaxed frame of mind.
Management and staff are friendly and helpfull at all times and the combination of cool music compilations in rooms and dining areas set the tone for a very relaxing experience.
I’ll be coming back for more.

Room Tip: Every room is different. Nothing predictable.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

What an incredible boutique hotel! We booked the Kemang Icon hotel because we wanted to stay in a trendy area and in an interesting hotel. After doing some research online about the top boutique hotels in Jakarta the Kemang Icon was obviously the top choice. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left everything was perfect! Check in was a breeze, our key was ready to go and we were in our room within minutes. Our room was nice and cool when we walked in, that was a nice touch as it was hot outside so we didn't need to wait for the room to cool down for us to be comfortable. Music was playing in the room and the ambience was great.

The room had funky touches all over from a soft throw blanket, ipod dock, cool art on the walls, great mirrored closets to luxurious shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion. I love the wooden slats in the shower stall, everything was very well thought out in the room.

The vibe was so great. The hotel is such a unique property. I have stayed all over the world and this hotel was so unique. When we checked in the GM, Carter, introduced himself to us and gave us some great tips of things to do in Jakarta, he was super friendly and made us feel so welcome. We headed up to the amazing rooftop pool and restaurant for a drink . WOW!!! What a view! Its just incredible. We were tired from travelling all day so we ordered room service for dinner and we were just blown away by the quality, taste and presentation of the food. It was absolutely gourmet. Nothing like 5 star dining in the comfort of your funky, unique and luxurious room! The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in, lots of soft pillows and blankets made for one of the best nights sleeps I have had in a very long time The black out shades made for sleeping in very easy.

In the morning we headed up for the complimentary breakfast, I was expecting a buffet but it was a sit down breakfast where you could order anything you wanted off the menu. Everything we ordered was once again delicious and the presentation was flawless. Carter the GM stopped by to say hello again and made sure that we were having a great stay and that we had everything we needed, such a great touch making us feel so welcome, we were surprised when he remembered our names he went above and beyond helping us plan our day with suggestions and information about the area.

That night we went back up to the rooftop lounge for some drinks and we met the executive chef Brandon, we told him that we had ordered room service 3 times and thanked him for such incredible food. I have never stayed to another hotel that you personally meet the GM and Executive Chef multiple times, it seems like they really go out of their way to talk to guests and make sure all of your expectations and needs are met.

I absolutely loved everything about this hotel, the staff, the rooms, the bed, the amenities, especially the food, the rooftop restaurant and pool and the Kemang area. I highly recommend the Kemang Icon if you are looking for a very cool place to stay where you will be really well taken care of. I will be back the next time I am in Jakarta for sure!

Room Tip: If you can get an outside courtyard do it. We stayed in the room named Illumina - it was AMAZING...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple