“Spacious, Neat, and Modern”
Review of Kemang Icon Hotel

Kemang Icon Hotel
Ranked #137 of 465 Hotels in Jakarta
Tengger
“Spacious, Neat, and Modern”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I don't usually write reviews on Trip Advisor...I'm more of a lurker...but I had such a nice time at the Kemang Icon that I really thought I should give them a bit of credit.

This sleek hotel is located in the Kemang district of South Jakarta, an area complete with any western amenity one can ask for.

Just out the door are lines of fun cafes and restaurants, but If you feel like staying in, the Kemang Icon has their own beautiful restaurant on the roof overlooking the city serving the delicious food. I especially enjoyed breakfast (included with your room), try the Scrambled Eggs and Sauteed Garlic Mushrooms! Feel free to "do it yourself" as well because the rooms come equipped with a small kitchenette. The grocery outlet Kem Chicks just down the street imports any food from the West you might be missing, as well as carrying the regular Indonesian variety.

The staff is very pleasant and friendly, always willing to give advice and usually supplying what you need before you even know what you were missing. The owner is quite friendly as well, and takes his time to get to know the guests.

The price is certainly steep if you're travelling on a budge, but I'd consider it a bargain for the caliber of excellence and comfort you'll find at the Kemang Icon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have been wanting to stay at Alila Kemang Icon for many years as I love small boutique hotels, and my 1 night short stay there was not disappointed. The suite is super spacious equipped with iShuffle. The people in Jakarta are very nice, so that goes without saying the staff at Icon are nice. too bad the shop units on second floor are left empty , such a waste !.
You have to bear in mind the traffic in Kemang is probably one of the worse i have seen, and the noise from the road !

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed November 13, 2012

As a regular business traveller to Asia, I like to find a bit of home from home.
Kemang Icon is a very special boutique hotel situated in Kemang with many attractions on your doorstep.
Compared to 5 star hotels, Kemang Icon offers a unique personal touch with an avant garde approach to large designer rooms and a unique rooftop restaurant and pool area.
The food continues to get better at every visit under the passionate guidance of  the head chef, who strives to tantalize the senses with his innovative approach to almost every item on the menu.
There's always space for improvement. Some investment in CAPEX to ensure air-conditioning and the internet are available in all areas, including reception and passages, would make a huge difference to the overall experience when you often use the hotel as your base between meetings. The little things matter and everything must work to keep guests in a relaxed frame of mind.
Management and staff are friendly and helpfull at all times and the combination of cool music compilations in rooms and dining areas set the tone for a very relaxing experience.
I’ll be coming back for more.

Room Tip: Every room is different. Nothing predictable.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Torquay, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

What an incredible boutique hotel! We booked the Kemang Icon hotel because we wanted to stay in a trendy area and in an interesting hotel. After doing some research online about the top boutique hotels in Jakarta the Kemang Icon was obviously the top choice. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left everything was perfect! Check in was a breeze, our key was ready to go and we were in our room within minutes. Our room was nice and cool when we walked in, that was a nice touch as it was hot outside so we didn't need to wait for the room to cool down for us to be comfortable. Music was playing in the room and the ambience was great.

The room had funky touches all over from a soft throw blanket, ipod dock, cool art on the walls, great mirrored closets to luxurious shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion. I love the wooden slats in the shower stall, everything was very well thought out in the room.

The vibe was so great. The hotel is such a unique property. I have stayed all over the world and this hotel was so unique. When we checked in the GM, Carter, introduced himself to us and gave us some great tips of things to do in Jakarta, he was super friendly and made us feel so welcome. We headed up to the amazing rooftop pool and restaurant for a drink . WOW!!! What a view! Its just incredible. We were tired from travelling all day so we ordered room service for dinner and we were just blown away by the quality, taste and presentation of the food. It was absolutely gourmet. Nothing like 5 star dining in the comfort of your funky, unique and luxurious room! The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in, lots of soft pillows and blankets made for one of the best nights sleeps I have had in a very long time The black out shades made for sleeping in very easy.

In the morning we headed up for the complimentary breakfast, I was expecting a buffet but it was a sit down breakfast where you could order anything you wanted off the menu. Everything we ordered was once again delicious and the presentation was flawless. Carter the GM stopped by to say hello again and made sure that we were having a great stay and that we had everything we needed, such a great touch making us feel so welcome, we were surprised when he remembered our names he went above and beyond helping us plan our day with suggestions and information about the area.

That night we went back up to the rooftop lounge for some drinks and we met the executive chef Brandon, we told him that we had ordered room service 3 times and thanked him for such incredible food. I have never stayed to another hotel that you personally meet the GM and Executive Chef multiple times, it seems like they really go out of their way to talk to guests and make sure all of your expectations and needs are met.

I absolutely loved everything about this hotel, the staff, the rooms, the bed, the amenities, especially the food, the rooftop restaurant and pool and the Kemang area. I highly recommend the Kemang Icon if you are looking for a very cool place to stay where you will be really well taken care of. I will be back the next time I am in Jakarta for sure!

Room Tip: If you can get an outside courtyard do it. We stayed in the room named Illumina - it was AMAZING...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed at Kemang Icon for five nights when I first moved to Jakarta in August / September 2012 and absolutely loved my stay.

The rooms were fantastic, with all of the little details covered (including individual mac airports for each room). The space was incredibly well utilized, with plenty of room to get work done and plenty of space to kick back. The bathroom was huge and the amenities were top notch.

The location is great - it's a short walk to a number of quality restaurants and bars in the Kemang area and there is a really good day spa directly across the road.

The highlight of my stay at the Icon was probably the rooftop restaurant. Having breakfast and dinner up there each day was an awesome escape from the hectic city. The views and decor are absolutely stunning and the staff were incredible, snagging me a cab when I needed one, making great recommendations on places to check out in the area and generally making me feel at home in a new city.

A testament to the quality of the hotel, I've been back half a dozen times since for a glass of wine or meal on the rooftop. I would be more than happy to recommend Kemang Icon to anyone looking for a fantastic hotel experience in Jakarta and will undoubtedly be back myself.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Nik W
Singapore
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I was in Jakarta for a work trip and required a hotel in South Jakarta with a good internet access, and from Tripadvisor's ratings I decided on Kemang Icon.

My personal comments on the hotel:
- not many taxis know the hotel or is willing to drive to the congested Kemang area so do take note. I ended up having to use my phone map app to guide the taxi driver.
- spacious rooms with surround sound and an ipod filled with delectable playlist.
- equally spacious bathroom area with iron and board in wardrobe. Shoe shine included.
- only 2 hangers in wardrobe
- the "high speed" internet did not work and I could not access my business and work emails. The IT guy came to room to try to fix it and after failing to do so, assured me it will be looked into. He did not follow up. This issue happened for the entire duration of my stay and is the most disappointing part of the stay. Manager was informed but he wasn't able to resolve the issue either.
- cable channels like CNN but they go fuzzy once every minute. Bad reception?
- breakfast was by a la carte order
- @@@ there was a terrible thumping sound that went on day and night. I suspect this to be the water pump. It affected my rest and sleep and I complained and had my room changed. But the thumping continued.
- the toilet choked after usage.....

Kemang Icon is a beautiful hotel with a potential, but given a chance I doubt I will stay here again. Due to the above-mentioned reasons. Esp the thumping sound that is unlikely to be easily resolved.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank WildyWee
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed in a suite, very spacious - almost too spacious. Nice sitting area, work space and bedroom and huge bathroom. Took us a while to work out the kitchen area which is cleverly hidden in the room! Funky modern room design, but felt very relaxing. Nice upstairs pool terrace where breakfast is served. Breakfast OK. Staff very friendly and all questions sorted quickly. Internet set up means only one pc per room, shame as we had 2 ipads! Overall, lovley hotel and as one of the other reviewers ssaid, do not be put off by the exterior.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple