“top notch hotel with a friendly touch”

The Ritz-Carlton Jakarta, Mega Kuningan
Ranked #2 of 471 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed January 27, 2014

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Location is a bit unfortunate if one wants to walk around - there is a construction site just next to the hotel, and you need to walk a bit (or get the hotel shuttle) to get outside. However, there are a few nice and good restaurants and bars in the walking distance. Rooms are very spacious and well furnished. Views are amazing (big windows in the room and the bathroom). The ambiance is great. Breakfasts are excellent (we didn't enjoy it very much, as we all got sick during our stay in Jakarta though), with excellent choice of food and drinks. The staff is amazing - very friendly, efficient, and helpful. I stopped at the reception desk to ask for some language hints on my way to a pharmacy (wanted to have phrases like "I want this medicine for a child" in Bahasa Indonesia, just in case), and they offer to get the medicines for us, brought some tea and treats for our daughter (making sure first that she's not asleep) etc. All the staff we interacted speaks good English. Definitely a good place to stay in Jakarta.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,745)

Reviewed January 16, 2014

A stunning colonial type hotel and the hospitality was exceptional. The staff are genuinely enthusiastic to please and made us feel very welcome. I was visiting Jakarta for business and had bought my mother for company - so location wise, it was less than brilliant if you have meetings in South Jakarta (the main business district), The breakfast buffet was the largest and best quality I have ever witnessed!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 15, 2014

One of the best experiences I have had ever, location is not that perfect, but yes the staff's are so courteous and friendly, Rooms are very spacious and huge when compared to other hotels of same level. Amazing Service levels and good top quality facilities.

I would recommend this @ Jakarta. Hotel Manager had contacted me well in advance and she took my personal preferences and booked a room as per my convenience and requirements. She gave attention to every small detail I have mentioned. Must try out.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank FuriousJo
Reviewed January 15, 2014

As I travel alone they put me in a room with extra bed, and when I asked them to remove it, their answer is;.."It is OK .. its free, we dont charge you for extra bed". Come on.. I do not even need extra bed in my room. They asked me what kind of fruit I would like to have in my room, but until I checked out ( I stay for 2 days) nothing has been delivered. Asia restaurant for breakfast is crowded with a lot a seminar participants.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank rhamdan
Rachmalia N, Public Relations Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Jakarta, Mega Kuningan, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay, We apologize for the inconvenience that you had during your stay. We will ensure that your next visit is even more memorable one.

Your feedback is always important to us in order to improve our services here and we look forward to welcoming you back home at The Ritz-Carlton Jakarta, Mega Kuningan

Please feel free to contact us via email at rc.jktrz.pr@ritzcarlton.com or call us at +62-21-2551 8888 if you need further assistance or inquiry regarding your future stay.

The Management
The Ritz-Carlton Jakarta, Mega Kuningan

Reviewed December 31, 2013

This is a great luxury hotel with excellent service and extensive amenities. Water pressure in the showers is amazing! Nice gym and pool area. Rooms are huge! All marble bathrooms and a nice dressing area. No complaints about this place. Walk out and there is a Starbucks around the corner (though you should try more Indonesian stuff while you're here).

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 25, 2013

***Summary***
I stayed 3 nights to purposefully test this hotel. All in all I am very pleased and can confirm this was a really good experience. The Ritz-Carlton Mega Kunigan Jakarta is featuring attention to smallest detail while being a colossus of a hotel at the same time. Even after a few years of busy operation, it is likely still the best hotel in town, and it is anyway the best in town for high-rise fanatics.

***General thoughts***
In 2005 I stayed in a neighboring area of the hotel, always wondering about the huge twin skyscraper complex. So when I finally returned to Jakarta after 8 years, I just had to book a room and find out for myself what about the mystical interior.
Prices are a bit steep for the standard traveler's wallet, but you can get relatively fair prices if booking online and last minute, saving up to 40% of the normal standard rate, or so. After the Bombing in 2009 the security levels were raised so now you get checked twice, at the driveway and at the lobby entrance. No problem, especially once they know your face, which happens very quickly.

***The welcome***
When I arrived, the suitcase was quickly taken out of my hands (I only saw it again after I had arrived at the hotel room). They had a list of guest names against which I identified, and even asked how I preferred to be addressed (by first or last name). I was then taken to the reception desk (nice: with welcome drink and face towel) and quickly a room was made available. Overall, the whole arrival process didn't last any longer than 5 minutes, despite the quite high security routine resembling airport security style.

*** The room ***
In a hotel stay obviously the most important element is the actual hotel room. This is the "heart" of your stay, and makes the main difference.
And, boy, I was really amazed with the room. I was also a bit lucky because I scored a corner room in the 20th floor, which is both a little extra advantage (high floor, corner windows) for the "standard section" of the hotel. Upon entering the room a hallway opens, extending into a very big room with large windows featuring a great view of the surrounding skyscraper area and into further distance.
The bathroom is also very large, both with a shower and bathtub (the latter right next to a panoramic window), an automatic fan, two sinks and so on.
Back to the actual hotel room: it features all kinds of amenities, like a master control panel that allows for controlling all lights from the bedside, including electronic "don't disturb" or "make up the room" signals that are displayed outside. The TV is large and offers a wealthy selection of all important news and entertainment channels.
Here I discovered two minor disadvantages: no HD television seems to be available, and, the TV is mounted to the wall in a fixed position without possibility to tilt the angle. Depending on where you are seated in the room (bed, sofa, desk) this would enhance the experience.
In other reviews the rooms were criticized for the gloomy light. I took this to a test and measured the actual brightness, which turned out on a fairly dark level of only 20 Lux, with all light sources active and at night time (measured at the desk position). This seems like a little low (a normal living room usually has 50 Lux), but in my subjective experience it felt comfortable and was still bright enough to do some reading without problems.
Next, I measured the ambient noise level. When entering the room the air conditioning was turned on which is a necessity in Jakarta. You can of course turn it off, but then the ambient swooshing noise of the ventilation system still persists. I sat down in the middle of the room (at the desk) and pulled out my sound measuring device, which turned out at an average sound level of 50 Sone. Granted, this adds in some slight traffic noise you could still very faintly notice from up there. But still, I guess 50 Sone (which is the equal noise level as a calm conversation) is a bit much. However, after half an hour of adjustment time this noise wasn't noticeable any more. It gives you somehow the sensation of being in a huge space ship, where you always also have some background engine noise.
By the way, Internet was included in the room rate and it worked perfectly well. I only had one mobile device on me so I'm not sure if it works for more devices. The net speed was perfectly adequate. Nothing super fast but better than most you get in Indonesia.

*** Tempus Bar ***
With not much more to do that evening I decided to take a peek down to the "Mystère" Club which used to have a good vibe back in the 0ies. I was surprised that it had closed down, to be replaced with a seemingly much smaller place called "Tempus Bar" that featured a lot of Karaoke and some Salsa Dancing. I quickly was then approached by a female individual, who after a few sentences of conversation (obviously being quite a few shots ahead of me) suggested: "after drink we go you". After 3 pints I decided to somehow (needs some tactic skills) evade the situation and returned to the room alone. Over all I miss the spacious vibe of the old "Mystère". I might have been down there on the wrong night, though. Either way, I liked the live band and the beer was refreshing indeed.

*** The breakfast ***
Breakfast was likewise included in the rate. I was there Thursday to Sunday, so I enjoyed breakfast on Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning. On both Friday and Saturday I was able to make it quite early (breakfast is open 6-10). It was a huge buffet with lots of different things to choose from. I was seated and served with some coffee, placed my newspaper on my table to "reserve" it, while inspecting the buffet. Special compliments to the chef in the Korean food corner. He is not just and excellent cook, but also a very fun and friendly person. There was a brief moment of confusion when they brought me the bill for the breakfast, because I thought this was not necessary when the breakfast was included. I guess this is due to some financial organization between the hotel and its caterers.
On the last morning I got up a bit later because I had been going out the night before. It was already after 9 and the buffet area was very busy. I was seated somewhere far away from the buffet, but no waiter came to bring coffee or the bill. I then decided to go get some breakfast, again using the newspaper to “hog” my seat. I did get some fine food, but when I returned to my seat, it was “hogged” by two other guests. I tried some brief conversation but they were clearly not up for it and wanted to keep among themselves. Well, their loss.
I then changed seat, finally the waiter discovered me and handed me a napkin (but nothing else). I never got nor signed the breakfast bill that day.
Summary: Mostly a flawless breakfast experience with dangerously huge amount of delicacies to choose from. It almost leaves you sorry you can’t try all of them. Only the last day was a bit disorganized. I guess it’s a good idea to get an early breakfast and then go back to sleep some more, or just get the day started.

***The Spa***
One of the highlights clearly was the spa. It was not very busy when I went there (Friday Morning), and I had some nice chat with two other guests (Indonesians) in the Sauna. The pool is vast; it has some nice and comfortable resting equipment to relax on. The actual spa zone is indoors, with Sauna, a steam bath, plenty of showers and some whirlpool and cold tub. There are plenty of amenities, also drinks are readily available to simply grab and refresh with. All of this was also included in the room rate. Only a massage wouldn’t have been free, but I didn’t get around to trying it out.

***Getting around***
Everything works only by taxi. If you do take a walk on foot it's not really anywhere much you can get comfortably, except maybe the Lotte shopping center and one of the other hotel bars in the same Mega Kunigan complex.

***Checking out***
I managed to get a slight extension of my stay for 2 hours, so I didn’t have to go to the Airport way too early. I had arranged the in-house Limousine service, which picked me up right on time without any waiting whatsoever. In the Limousine there were two bottles of cold water waiting and a face towel: a small but very welcome attention. The checkout itself was likewise without any waiting and no problems whatsoever.

***In Sum***
The stay was superb. The few critical remarks I had are on so minor points that they couldn’t spoil the experience whatsoever. I give my highest recommendations to this fabulous hotel, and their friendly and helpful staff.

Room Tip: It's a skyscraper, so the higher the better.