“Clean, safe freindly hotel”
Review of Hotel Kristal

Hotel Kristal
Ranked #61 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Illminster
“Clean, safe freindly hotel”
Reviewed September 11, 2010

I stay here every month as a offshore worker I use it one night per month, did stay for a week earlier this year and I can say it is clean and well run, the food is ok no more than that, it has an excellent bar which is popular with lots of expats.
As for security who needs it! in any case where ever you go in Jakarta there is a big show of security but it's only for show a real terrorist could get past any of it.
I rate it as just about 4 stars but its food lets it down.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank btmeng94

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2010

I used to work in Jakarta and we returned to visit friends and family for most of the month of July, staying mostly at the Kristal.

We have stayed here before and know the place well. We also know Jakarta well, unlike the last reviewer!

We stayed in the three bedroom apartment, which is big, roomy, great ac and very comfortable. Considering the 100 per night price, I felt we got a bargain. Admittedly the first five days we stayed in tower 2 where the apartment felt a little run down, with old inefficient AC (which I note they are upgrading at the moment), when we came back from Bali, we moved to tower one which was great.

The Kristal has excellent security on entrance, scanning all vehicles for bombs and suchlike, there are manned security portals at the doors and as a parent of a 10 and 12 year old I felt that the place was super safe for the boys to meander about in safely.

The pool is first call, large with a bar, clean toilets and even diving classes. There is also a large play park for the kids. We spent many happy days at the pool and my boys loved the facilities.

We ate at Kafe Pinang one night, there is a buffet which is fine for the £12-15 a head they charge. We used the Satu Lagi Bar for food and drinks, with prices a little cheaper than the UK for western bar food and a beer is around £3 a bottle, half that in happy hour 5 til 7 daily.

The Kristal in in South Jakarta and as others have pointed out, the whole city is a log jam of cars, buses, taxis and motorbikes. Always budget plenty time to get anywhere by car or taxi. There is a Hero Supermarket two minutes walk away, which sells at UK prices, so it aint cheap for Indonesia. However, a 15 minute taxi ride (Rp 15000 - £1.20) takes you to Carrefour at Lebak Lulus, which has a great selection of groceries at decent price.

Another great place for eating out is Citos (Cheetos), a mall type complex in Cilandak which is packed with various bars, cafes and restaurants and is a 10 minute ride away. We ate their a dozen times during our stay.

Other malls in easy commute of the Kristal include, Pondon Indah Mall, where you can eat great noodles at Bakmi Gajah Mada (a personal favourite), D'Best and ITC on Jalan Fatmawati, for a more Indonesian department store shopping experience, Blok M Plaza for a large Matahari store and good foodcourt. Avoid Pasaraya though, its pants, super expensive.

All in all, we had a great stay, would recommend the Kristal to all, its clean, safe, well serviced by the staff and once you get your bearings, its a pretty good place to stay in the Big Durian.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Mark1875
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 16, 2010

01. PRIVATE DRIVER. You must absolutely know someone in Jakarta. So get on facebook, add random Indonesian friends and become their best friend. In return for your friendship, they will provide you with great local knowledge. Such as recommending me to hire a private local driver. We tried two drivers, one guy's car was stinky & was an average driver and the other guy's car was clean and awesome & I believe he is the Indonesian Champion king of drivers. I remember that we paid around AUD70 a day... meaning he would drop us at a shopping mall like Block M, WAIT til we had enough and drove us to another shopping mall. We had him drive us like 6am to 12 midnight. So this is a must.

02. TRAFFIC. I've been to Thailand and Malaysia and I thought the traffic jams were horrendous but I changed my mind once I stepped out the airport in Indonesia. Every time we left for a destination, we'd get stuck in traffic for 2-3 hours. No joke. I advise to bring a big 2L wide-mouth empty plastic bottle with a cap.

03. MASSAGE CENTERS. I say, one must definitely get a massage in Jakarta. It's completely different than getting a massage in Thailand. It's softer (less painful) and I reckon focused more on aromatherapy. Anyways, its just different and a must experience.

04. SPEAK INDONESIAN ONLY. Fortunately for me, I lived in Malaysia for a year and so I could speak the Malay language which is similar to the Indonesian language. No one here speaks English (same as with Thailand)

HOTEL KRISTAL
First things first is that I didn't plan this trip to Indonesia, and just went with the flow with the person who orgnised this trip. So unlike my well-planned Bangkok trip, I will try to be as detailed as possible.

On the way to the hotel, we passed by a suburb called Pondok Indah. Lots of mega wealthy people live here. The houses shouldn't be classified as mansions but empires.

We finally arrived at the hotel, with the driver weaving about the crazy traffic. At the entrance to hotel, there is tight security. Guard dogs, under-car mirrors to check for bombs, bullet-proof vests, the works. After that, passed the hotel car park. The hotel looks very clean and nice and gives a good impression. At the lobby, there is another security check. The lobby looked very grand.

There is a massage center - not recommended at all, it was expensive and was not happy with my service.

There is a gym - never seen hotel gyms so packed before. As if I was at a local gym. I do weight training at my local gym in Melbourne and I can say the hotel gym makes the grade. There are personal instructors too.

Nice huge swimming pool and a hot pool too. There was a bar at the swimming pool. Didnt get a chance to visit it. The pool area was big and spacious and very clean. Lots of other guests were relaxing and having fun.

Unfortunately, didn't get a chance to sample the hotel's restaurant food - no free complimentary anything! Poor form.

Since I was travelling with a big group, we stayed in the 3 bedroom apartment. As we made our way to the room, the corridor reminded me of the corridors of condominium or high rise flats back in Malaysia. Rather weird observation but I didn't feel like I was in a hotel.

Upon entering the room, the living room was HUGE and clean. There was a big dinning table, sofas, big lcd TV and the TV unit. The balcony looked out to the road which we came in from. There was split unit air-conditioning in every room.

The kitchen area had a electric hot plate, microwave, fridge, kettle and a water cooler (staff would come and refill the water - smart people dont drink tap water over here!).

There was a master bedroom (queen size), a double bedroom and a single bedroom. The master bedroom had a nice big bathroom while the other bathroom was small and cramped. The shower cubicle was unfortunately not clean. There was hot water every time someone had a shower though.

There are absolutely no shops in walking distance. There is only one supermarket, shoe shop and a pharmacy - which is adequate for most travelers. However the supermarket, HERO is overpriced and I bought 'fresh chicken' from the meat department which turns out to be tainted and had the world's worst food poisoning ever. You can see my name in the Guinness book of records for achieving this feat. If I was still there, I'd complain to every possible authority known to all Indonesian men!

Whenever we wanted to go out to the big shopping malls, as I said we had to deal with the traffic jam. It is just ridiculous how long we were stuck in traffic. Again.. always travel with a big empty plastic bottle and sit at the back of the van.

I am on the fence about recommending this hotel.
The room rates at this hotel is ***not cheap*** (for me personally anyways),
the location was not great (I know there is always a car or taxi to takes us to the shopping malls)- but what I mean is that, for me personally, I also like to walk out of my hotel and be able to go to nearby shops and restaurants.... not only just the same one and only supermarket.
*But please note that there were lots of other tourists that were staying at this hotel*

Because I am required to give a recommendation, for now, I would say YES to the hotel. But with regards to its location... until I plan (and research) my own trip to Indonesia again in the near future, I cannot give a recommendation if its the most convenient located hotel.

I cant be bothered as usual to upload more photos so if you are interested for pictures of my hotel room please visit http://gundamhotel.blogspot.com/2010/07/review-10-kristal-hotel-pondok-indah.html

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank limucat
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 9, 2010

Have stayed in the Kristal a couple of times this year.

The security coming into the hotel area is good, but once you are thru the main check point it all falls apart, with limited checks on anything brought into the hotel.

The rooms are basic, and are definitely showing wear and tear. Both times I stayed I had trouble with air conditioing units. The first time I stayed a colleague had trouble with bed bugs - not the sort of thing you want to have to deal with.

Breakfast and lunch buffetts where OK, nothing spectacular, but did the job.

In hotel entertainment is limited to the Satu Lagi bar - which appeared to be a gathering place for just after work, but then went relatively quiet. Snack food and the overall environment in there was good.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank IainDM
UK
Reviewed February 27, 2010

If you are visiting, just arrived and waiting to find a house, or working in south Jakarta, this is the place to be.

rooms are big, even the single room has a small kitchen with stove fridge and water cooler. The decor is fine, dark wood and beige, big LCD TV and 50+ channels. Internet connection is by cable, fast enough for emails and light surfing,,, but skype overwhelms it in the busy early evening time.

The breakfast is fine, good selection of Asian and European, Satu Lagi (one more) bar has a distinctly Aussie feel. The fitness spa is great, the pool, lovely.

The place is as clean as a whistle, bathroom is a bit dated, but absolutely fine.

On your first visit, be prepared for a rather annoying check in process, where they sign u up for membership. It's not a scam,, it give decent discount on meals and drinks, spa treatments etc, plus drastically cuts hotel costs with "buy three get one free" type offers abounding. The whole process is a bit of a pain, especially if you are jet lagged, stinking and just want a drink a shower and a sleep.

Apart from that, no complaints, will be returning year on year, and will not be looking at anywhere else

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank UpintheairAsia
India
Reviewed January 22, 2010

Homely hospitality, Happy hours in Satulagi Bar, Effort to provide food to suit Indians, Humble staff

• Liked — Staff behaviour
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pune, India
Reviewed December 11, 2009

I stayed in Kristal from June 2008- Oct 2008, 5 months. I had stayed in single as well as 3BHK room. The rooms are ok. 3BHK is better. Bathroom are ok. Very good gym and swimming pool. Food is ok. In single room Kitchen is small. Staff is friendly.
Pondak indah mall is near. next to hotel is multipurpose store where you can get all the stuff of daily need. Its far from all the good action like bars and pubs.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)