“Genuine Bistrot Parisien, very good food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe Gitane jkt - CLOSED

Cafe Gitane jkt
Cuisines: French, European, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Pasar Minggu
Paris, France
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Genuine Bistrot Parisien, very good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

I spent some holidays in Indonesia and just had the opportunity to try this little peace of French place: kind and funny owners and waiters, very good home made French fries, zen atmosphere, good music. Cherry on the cake, chicken is just like the one of my mother: simple, with a touch of "je ne sais quoi" that makes it just perfect.

• Visited February 2014

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Rare find in Jakarta”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Went there on a friday in January and when we arrived the restaurant was empty. Sadly it stayed this way for the whole evening and we were the only two patrons, which is not why you go out on a weekend.
Apart from the forlorn-factor it was a very pleasant experience. The place is small but tastefully decorated - no design-overkill and nothing like the wannabe-European-style places you will usually find in Jakarta, where just about everything is fake and superficial. This place feels right and authentic french with it's row of small tables and bistrot-benches. The place has a casual feel and is very inviting.
We had onion soup as starters, followed by red tuna steak and a poulet aux olives, no dessert but a decent espresso instead and all was very good. I asked to have the poulet with gratin instead of rice and it was lovely, although I found it a tad overpriced ( a small portion of potato gratin as a side dish at 39.000... hmm...). Otherweise the prices are moderate, especially considered the quality of the food (they serve free range chickens, for example).
This is the kind of down-to-earth-food you would find in France in a family run restaurant and Cafe Gitane is a more than needed addition to the Jakarta restaurant landscape and a relief from all the presumptious allegedly french fine dining venues.
On the downside: they had run out of wine, which we considered a bit weird, but after all we're in Jakarta and not in Paris. There was only one red wine left, which we ordered for lack of a choice. Unfortunately it was served freezing cold from the fridge in a caraffe but since we had nothing else to do this nigth, we just waited it out and watched it get warmer. Service staff was a bit clumsy (but lovely) but I guess that happens on a very slow night at a restaurant. Overall we were very happy with what we got and we will certainly be back. The restaurant is a tad out of the way, next to the french carpenter Saglio, and we found it difficult to catch a cab at night to get back home.

2 Thank Kudalaut
Hong Kong, China
“Great Find In Jakarta”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Passing through Jakarta on my way back from bali. i spent a few days with friends in Jk. What a find. They took me to a piece of Paris in Jaklarta. The night i was there the atmosphere was alive and electric. The Food perfect. The homemade frites to die for. Crispy on the outside soft and steamy hot on the inside. The rotisserie chicken was exactly as i remember from my local shop in paris. Seasoned to perfection. Worth the stop for dinner or just a glass of pastis and a bit of atmosphere. Great for the price!!

Paris, France
“Come here if you want a simple meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Read about this place and thought I'd give it a try. Their menu isn't extensive bit it there's something for everyone eventually. I like places with short and simple selections as it usually indicates that they're not trying to be a 'jack of all trades and a master of none,.

They're known for their roast chicken but it does not quite live up to my expectations. They use local free range chickens, and these things are lean and tiny. If you're used to plump and juicy roasts, this will dissapoint. My roast was rather dry and a little small, and I should have expected it. Nevertheless, it was seasoned decently. Many places tend to over-season their roasts, so I was quite pleased that Gitane didn't.

I had a mixed salad and gratin potatoes on the side. The salad was well selected wth contrasting flavours from different greens. I don't always use dressing for my salads as I often prefer the natural flavours of my food, so this went well with me.

The gratin potatoes was a little dissapointing - too much cheese, not enough creme fraiche, and the potatoes were sliced to thin - tasted far too American than French, and that's a big no-no with gratin dauphinois.

Prices are fairly reasonable. Mid-range, without complaint on the service.

I've just moved to this city from Paris and I need to build a list of restaurants and cafes. Gitane will certainly be on this list.

They've a lst of cocktails too.

“Underrated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

This place has a lot to offer with its simplicity. Unlike other french place i have been to, Gitane has a fair price for their excellent food. really focus on their food quality and complimented it with simple, yet charming ambiance. It's also a cool place to hang out.

• Visited December 2013