“Come here if you want a simple meal” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe Gitane jkt - CLOSED

Cafe Gitane jkt
Cuisines: French, European, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Pasar Minggu
Paris, France
“Come here if you want a simple meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Read about this place and thought I'd give it a try. Their menu isn't extensive bit it there's something for everyone eventually. I like places with short and simple selections as it usually indicates that they're not trying to be a 'jack of all trades and a master of none,.

They're known for their roast chicken but it does not quite live up to my expectations. They use local free range chickens, and these things are lean and tiny. If you're used to plump and juicy roasts, this will dissapoint. My roast was rather dry and a little small, and I should have expected it. Nevertheless, it was seasoned decently. Many places tend to over-season their roasts, so I was quite pleased that Gitane didn't.

I had a mixed salad and gratin potatoes on the side. The salad was well selected wth contrasting flavours from different greens. I don't always use dressing for my salads as I often prefer the natural flavours of my food, so this went well with me.

The gratin potatoes was a little dissapointing - too much cheese, not enough creme fraiche, and the potatoes were sliced to thin - tasted far too American than French, and that's a big no-no with gratin dauphinois.

Prices are fairly reasonable. Mid-range, without complaint on the service.

I've just moved to this city from Paris and I need to build a list of restaurants and cafes. Gitane will certainly be on this list.

They've a lst of cocktails too.

• Visited January 2014

“Underrated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

This place has a lot to offer with its simplicity. Unlike other french place i have been to, Gitane has a fair price for their excellent food. really focus on their food quality and complimented it with simple, yet charming ambiance. It's also a cool place to hang out.

• Visited December 2013
“Good food, good price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Their chicken are awesome! my son (he's 10) is a fussy eater, so when I introduce him to French food for the 1st time am a bit scared, but he fall in love with gitane's chicken straight away, me on the other side love their yummy dessert and their drinks. My husband in love with the food (the freshness quality of their food is superb) and the service, the two brothers will introduce them self and they remember their customer, needles to say we're a regular in Gitane, it's a nice place for family dining and sweet place to share a drinks and a meal with your +1

Avignon, France
“Quality nice bar and restaurant with good original food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Very good ambience in this area in jakarta, good food, good persons attentives at the service quality, French touch, vintage, I support this restauant and bar for a good experience
Enjoy it !
Boris from France

Visited January 2014
Hong Kong, China
“So Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

It's so great to discover this little French restaurant in Jakarta. The food is great and it feels like some small cafe brasserie in Paris, New York or Hong kong. I was there while visiting friends in Jakarta for the Holidays and I would recommend anyone a stop over to this great place. Service and atmosphere is just excellent.

• Visited December 2013