“Good place for special occasions”

Tugu Kunstkring Paleis
Ranked #15 of 7,985 Restaurants in Jakarta
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The grand historical building originally housed the Fine Arts Circle of the Dutch East Indies and was opened in 1914.In April 2013, this legendary building of Bataviasche Kunstkring has been reopened under the name TUGU KUNSTKRING PALEIS, and brought back to life by Tugu Hotels & Restaurants Group. Without changing the beautiful palatial architecture.
Reviewed July 17, 2014

If you have budget to eat at 5 star restaurant but don't want to eat hotel buffet and esp. want more private settings, I think this is the place. This place even cheaper than 5 star hotel buffet that nowadays cost around 300-500,000++/pax. We chose this place to celebrate my grandma's birthday but also breakfasting so we don't want to eat too much for dinner. Do come at night, I think this place looks more beautiful at night. We dined at one of the vip room (originally we want to eat at the common eating room, the pangeran diponegoro, since the room looks more beautiful than the small vip room and concerning the vip room charge but it was fully booked and the minimum charge of 2.5 mill idr for 8 is still cheaper than hotel buffet so we used the colonial rijstafel room (max 8 pax)). We order ala carte because the 2 rijstafel menu selections were not into our general liking. We ordered bitterballen and spring roll for appetizers each portion for 58,000 idr, main course of lemon chicken, fish, vegetable, rendang, inked squid. The rendang a bit too sweet for my taste, the squid was so so, overall I think they have adjusted the food for international palate. The desserts were mediocre of mixed ice (with durian flavored water), the really no comment merlion sago pudding (with santan in the mixture, not better than their chinese sago pudding counterpart, don't order this), lava chocolate cake (with lime shorbet, not a good combination, but nice try to infuse indonesian flavor in the much known dessert, good quality of chocolate, if I remember correctly the used valhorna), and the best was the profiterolles with hazelnut ice cream (can be shared since it consists of 4 quite big profiterolles).

Though the ingredients were top rated don't expect much indonesian flavor esp. If you are like me indonesians, but on the other side, the staff were very helpful in getting us ordering the suitable menu and gave us enough private time and accompanied us to the secomd floor to see the room where Vic Beckham ate (the presidential room), the art gallery, the balcony etc and provided us with brief history even without our asking. His name was Yanto if I'm not mistaken. Pls give him our credit if the management read this.

Our experience here was exceptional in term of the history that this restaurant tried to preserve esp. If you know this building before as a rundown building or alas, Buddha Bar.

PS: this restaurant has some menu starting at around 60 thousands idr such as soto or fried rice or small appetizers or desserts.

1  Thank Chickeatout
There are newer reviews for Tugu Kunstkring Paleis

Reviewed July 14, 2014

The best place for travellers who wants to enjoy Indonesia quickly! The room is decorated so well with Raden saleh's painting and all that.. This is such a great place to be! To eat, to walk around, to drink. To mesmerize! Sweet!

Reviewed July 12, 2014

This old house has been stunningly restored, as to be expected from the Tugu brand, so the surroundings are beautiful, however dinner there was a huge disappointment. It was almost half an hour after our guests' cocktails were served that our bottle of wine finally showed up at the bar - after several reminders. We ordered starters and main courses and were shown to our table only to find the kitchen apparently hadn't received our order for the starters so we never did get those. The food we were served was delicious, as were our desserts, however this was an experience we won't be repeating. We had expected more from Tugu.

tuguhotels, General Manager at Tugu Kunstkring Paleis, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2014

Dear Zojanahage, thankyou for taking the time to share your comments with us and your kind words on the building,decor and food. It is very disappointing to hear of the below standard of service you sadly received and for this i apologise on behalf of everyone at Kunstkring.
Your honesty is very much appreciated as it will be used in training purposes in customer service and to improve in this department. I sincerely hope you accept our apologies and one day will decide to return to Kunstkring and get the service you should rightly receive.

Best Regards.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

The restaurant is located in an old Dutch mansion, so you are paying for the ambience and the dining experience. We came in a group and we had Rijttafel. The food presentation was tacky but fun. They played some Indonesain traditional song and dancers came dancing while two men carried the meal in a basket on their shoulder. Food was so, so, and I have tasted much better Indonesian food else where. Overall, a good place for tourists to spend an evening.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

From the title I gave, you should know how I love eating there.
It was one of those Tugu group. They also had hotels, and other restaurants. One thing in common is that ambience... Really...

Place: a nice cultural building. Already 100 years old, if I'm not mistaken. Therefore, a bit spooky there.
Place atmosphere: spooky, but very high class, but also casual and comfortable.
They also have some special room. There is Soekarno Room, which one of our former President, Mrs. Megawati Soekarnoputri loves to dine there.

This restaurant full of historical things. Same with other Tugu places i've ever visited.
Love the services here. They sometimes held an art gallery at 2nd floor. You can ask one of the waiter to walk you there, and then walk you around the restaurant. Mind the a bit spooky thing. I mean it.
But really worth it!!

Food portion: enough. A bit big for me.
Food taste: delicious. Really.
Food price: pricey due to its level of restaurant. But okay compared to the taste and portion.

Love there. But just in case, you might want to have a reservation, esp in weekend. I was lucky when I went there in show, I still got a seat. Hahaha..

Dear Eva,
what a pleasure to read your lovely comments and to hear you fully enjoyed your time spent with us. I will gladly pass your kind words onto all staff as it is people such as yourself appreciating what we do that gives us the inspiration to continue further.
We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Best Regards.