“Great tempura” 4 of 5 bubbles

Marugame Udon and Tempura
Ranked #29 of 7,653 Restaurants in Jakarta
Cuisines: Japanese, Fast Food, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Great tempura”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

We had lunch at the Kota Kasablanka's outlet. I had the niku udon with 3 types of tempura: shrimp, squid and chicken-stuffed chili. Everything is fresh and cooked in front of you. I must admit I personally dont prefer udon, but I like the broth and I'm in love with the tempura. The squid tempura is crunchy yet soft in the middle, not chewy at all. I'll recommend this place to anyone up for a quick, tasty japanese meals.

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
“Best Udon outside of Japan for me”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

While visitnig Gandaria mall in jakarta, I stopped at Marugame Udon for lunch based on my friend's recommendation.It was a visit which pleasantly surprised me, as udon served there was as good as those I have tried in Japan! Although a fast food setting, there were plenty of seats and overall ambience was great. Great value for money.

Worth going if you are in the vicinity - must try!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank csh68
Jakarta, Indonesia
“A good alternative casual Japanese dining place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Marugame Udon and Tempura opened an outlet in Gandaria City shopping mall not long ago and every time I go there I was intrigued to try them because they are always crowded. However, for the same reason, I was also turned off as I did not like the idea of queuing for food unless my life depended on it. This time I decided to get in line at my wife's urging (yes, wives have this special power over their husbands). It turns out it wasn't a bad experience at all as the line moved along rather quick.

As the name suggest, they serve mostly udon dishes but they also offer rice dishes and fried snacks for side dishes. Most of the key components have been cooked (an simultaneously cooked to make sure there's always enough to serve) so they were able to serve you quickly. Because of the crowd you can expect the food served there are always fresh.

I ordered the Beef Curry Udon while my wife ordered Niku Udon, which is one of the recommended dish. I love Japanese curry and it is one of my go-to dish when I'm dining in a Japanese restaurant. The curry taste very much like the curry paste you can buy over the counter in any decent or Japanese supermarkets. The good thing about it is I love that taste but the down side is there is nothing particular that stood out for me. Moreover, I think creating a great udon dish does not require the same sophisticated process, skill or effort like a good ramen dish, so I expect any decent Japanese restaurant to be able to pull it off. I also tasted the Niku Udon they were very good. The soup taste is similar to the dipping sauce of a tempura dish.

The highlight of this place for me is actually the fried snacks. They offered what seemed like snacks that you would find in Japan's street food variety and I don't think there are many Japanese restaurants in Jakarta that serve fried snacks like they do here. Keep in mind not to be fooled by the serving portion of their udon as you will find they make take up a lot of space in your tummy before you know it. I will definitely try to eat less udon and more fried snacks the next time I dine here.

Overall, I think this is a decent Japanese restaurant specializing in udon and tempura that offers delicious dining options at reasonable prices. Just don't expect udon to replace your ramen craving any time soon. The place is comfortable with decent space between tables and the decor has a good balance of Japanese and modern touches.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank sayajoris
“Good udon place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Unlike the recent trend of ramen shop, this restaurant serve udon (soup, dipping, hot and cold) with side various tempura dish. The udon is good, slightly chewy. Good variation of tempura, I tried broccoly tempura, pepper filled chicken meat as well as sweet potato. Ocha both hot and cold is refillable. I had zaru udon, cold udon. Dipping sauce slightly salty but still eatable. My wife had niku udon, and the soup tasted OK. Overall, it is a nice place for udon and tempura; and I will go again.

1 Thank stefanus_a88
Jakarta
“Combination of Authentic Japanese & Local Flavors”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

The noodles were quite good & noodle soups tasted close to what you'll find in Japan; the decor was also pretty well done, as were the menu options.

However, the tempura tasted much closer to Indonesia than Japan; while the tempura pieces (whether the broccoli, egg or sweet potato tempura) were large, the taste was more Indonesian than Japanese, as was the tempura sauce & various other supplementary sauces (i.e. chili).

The line was long so we recommend 1 person to look for seats while the other waits in line & orders as food ordering was in traditional canteen style of ordering & then placing the dishes on a food tray. In traditional Japanese style, the green tea was free-flow self-service.