“A must see?”

Ranked #9 of 284 things to do in Jakarta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Built to commemorate Indonesia's independence, National Monument dominates Medan Merdeka.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I guess this monument is a must see if you have a day to spare in Jakarta. But be prepared to be disappointed. There is a general air of decay and lack of maintenance is evident all around. The dioramas illustrating key events in Indonesia's history also needs some work with many spelling mistakes in the English text. Most people probably come here for the trip to the top of the tower and the vista of Jakarta it allows. Sadly I never made it to the top because the ticket office staff never told me that a separate ticket was required...

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Visited MONAS mid-morning mid-week. Note the entrance is across the road and through an underpass. There is a ticket box to enter the museum part which goes through the history of Indonesia's independence. Walk up the stairs and be sure to purchase a ticket to go up to the viewing platform (separate ticket required). We had to wait in the line for 20-30 minutes as the lift only carries 11 people (+ the lift operator and his chair). Views at the top depend on the smog on the day. Then wait in the line at the top to come down. Probably worth doing once but don't plan to revisit again.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Went there walked a lot to reach the monument, paid the entrance fee, wandered the "museum" in th ebottom and then tried to go to the top (puncak) but the queue was too long I waited around 20 min and didn't seem to move, I aske one of ht e attendants (very few) how long will it take to reach the lift to go up and said about 2 hrs. Not sure if it was because it was close to their independence day or what but so many people there that I decided to go back to my hotel, took photos only from outside and to the crowd... not from the top

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I've never been to Monas until early this year when my brother came to Jakarta for a visit. We went there with my fiancé on Monday, taking a day off since my brother will return home at the evening.

The spacious lawn surrounding the monument was lusher than before, I guess the city government did a pretty good job fixing all those dying trees and plants. Don't go there at night though, lots of vagrants use it as their sleeping ground, as well as some naughty couples who wanted to "have a good time".

Anyways, the monument itself have a basement entrance and corridor leading to a museum hall. I forgot how much the entry fee were, but it's no more than 20 thousand rupiah, and even cheaper if you have your student card with you. Inside, you can see several dioramas depicting Indonesian history up until Independence Day. It was alright, but for someone who hates the moldy smell of closed space like me, it was not fun. We climbed the stairs towards the elevator to the top of the monument and we had to pay again to go up (so typical). The elevator was so outdated and smelly, I was praying the whole trip upstairs so that we won't crash down. At the top of the monument, it's a bit similar to Empire State Building, I think. But here, the telescopes were mostly broken and the deck was dirty.

It's a shame to let this jewel of Jakarta go to waste without proper handling from the government.

1  Thank DevilAngelique
Reviewed September 5, 2013

One of a must visit Jakarta attraction. the only things lacking is the lift service to top of the monument which are old and the maximum capacity is only 11 person and way too slow. You can get a nice review of Indonesia since the beginning of time from the museum below. try not to visit during weekend or public holiday... there will be jammed with visitor!