“Beatiful scenery but place is dirty and dusty.”

Sunda Kelapa Harbour
Ranked #39 of 274 things to do in Jakarta
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Once known as Pasar Ikan (Fish Market), Sunda Kelapa was the early 16th-century trading post from which the Dutch domination of Indonesia began and flourished.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Beatiful scenery but place is dirty and dusty.”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

There was a guy there who tried to offer his service to bring us around the area. You don't need his service as there is nothing much to see. Bring an umbrella or wear a hat would be good. The road is very dusty.

Visited September 2012

• Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Very picturesque, neat wooden boats”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

First of all, be careful when asking a taxi or ojek/motorcycle taxi to take you here: it's pelabuhan (port) sunda kelapa, NOT the mosque with the same name! Anyway, like others here, a tour guide "found" me and gave me a neat tour for only 100 000 Rp. He took me onto a boat, took a picture of me at the helm (very touristy, but still neat!), told me about the lives of the sailors and the functions of the boats, and found a water taxi to take us to a nearby kampung (labyrinth-esque residential complex).

Anyway, other than transportation fees, sunda kelapa can be a free attraction, and it offers some great photo opportunities and a glimpse into a very different life from most travellers.

Visited August 2012
Denpasar, Indonesia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“tempo doeloe port”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

it was famous in colonial era ... kinda sad now in greyish sky of bali ... but still can make pretty good pictures and somehow i still can feel the old days when ship like this is the only transportation mode to cruise the ocean

United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Classic old wooden ships”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

These old ships are a must see while visiting Jakarta. The port has a wonderful feel to it and its a facinating look at a way of life rapidly disappearing. These old wooden ships will be gone in another generation. We found a local "guide" ( I should say he found us ) and he explained the ships distant ports, their cargo, etc. He took us aboard one of the ships for a tour. These are real mariners, no radar, no GPS, no radios, etc. These sailors are guided by their compasses only. He mentioned that tourists occationaly take a voyage on these ships to distant ports ( Sumatra, Sulawesi, etc). What an adventure! We found everyone friendly . Dont miss this port !

Visited March 2012
Jakarta, Indonesia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“A living historical port.”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I went to several ports before coming here actually and I chose the wrong timing too to get in here. I imagine that this port would be like one at Seaside Park at Nagasaki, or Vivo City at Singapore, but it turned out, it's none of those port. This one...is one like you see in old movies. Really. Imagine the hustle bustle, dirtiness, people carrying loads on their shoulders, children taking turns jumping from the boat to the water, ...sounds like port during world war. but it is. Sunda Kelapa really poles apart with the port nowadays I've seen abroad.

Sunda Kelapa is an old port that even until now is still used. The boat being parked are also the ancient wooden boat. Can you imagine, while other countries have a very clean port with magnificent ships, Sunda Kelapa is still here with boats which age is probably older than me, and still in operational mode.

I went there at noon, without umbrella, mask, or UV lotion. I took BAJAJ and didn't even got off from the bajaj because I was so shocked with the scene I saw. It's too polluted with the cement dust coming down from the boats. So yeah, I kinda missed the excitement. However, I still think It's pretty dangerous place for a tourist site, because there's never really a path for tourists to stroll. Containers and heavy machineries are everywhere.

This place will be amazing, if only tourists can get a safe place pr path to take pictures and enjoy the ambience.

Visited February 2012