“my first time in a mosque”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Istiqlal Mosque

Ranked #2 of 263 things to do in Jakarta
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Indonesia's largest mosque is a sacred place of worship as well as a center for conferences, lectures and seminars.
rome
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“my first time in a mosque”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

I've never went to a place and visit a mosque if we avoid mentioning Istanbul ;)
In Jakarta i was somehow forced to visit it due to the lack of activities :-P Anyway it was quite interesting, i had a guide for the entire stay ( probably cause my trust is different from Muslim) but he did explain me a lot of the history of the place and he was kind to take some pictures of me!
If you can have the same great treatment i had( a guide from the mosque itself) then is really worth it!! The place is huge but the visit is covered in less than 1 hour!
(march 2013)
P.s. i had to pay a little fee... or better and offer was a small ammount but is better to mention it

Visited May 2013

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 666 helpful votes
“Huge Mosque.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

I think the mosque deserve one visit,is huge building with some very big pillars down to the golden color dome.To be there is just an unique experience.

Sri Kembangan, Malaysia
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Biggest mosque in SEA, you literally could get lost in it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

nice setting but the ablution area is only available at the ground level which takes me a while and some asking around before i can get to it.
Big solat area and there's baggage counter (for a small fee) where you can leave your baggage for you to focus on your prayer.

New York City, New York
322 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 147 helpful votes
“Huge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

This is the third largest mosque in the world, and it is really pretty neat! There is a church right across the street, which to me symbolizes the tolerance Indonesia has for multiple religions even though they are a Muslim country.

There is a lot of symbolism in the mosque, so it is very worthwhile to get a tour guide.

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“I was given 5 minutes for non-mouslim tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

After entering the building during praying time I was approached by staff asking me if I'm mouslim and answer being negative I was told that I would have only 5 minutes to look around. Staff took me to a balcony and inner yard for a quick look up to 10 minutes. Architecture is very 70's Soviet-style which I like a lot. Get your camera ready if you want to enjoy some amazing photoshooting..unfortunately I was not prepared.