“Majestic Mosque”

Ranked #2 of 285 things to do in Jakarta
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Indonesia's largest mosque is a sacred place of worship as well as a center for conferences, lectures and seminars.
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Since it was time for prayers, was unable to go in to see the structure from within but outside it looks majestic and peaceful.

1  Thank rengaray
Write a ReviewReviews (2,009)

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I went here with a friend who is also blonde. The staff were helpful in showing us around and it's quite well organised, however there were lots of men just hanging around and not praying, and a few of them were staring and winking at us etc. It's huge but I've seen much nicer, smaller mosques.

1  Thank ElaineMcGrory
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Allahu Akbar, this is one of the beautiful Mosque in the world. Me and family do the Tarawih Pray at Istiqlal Jakarta when Ramadhan. Or sometimes we just pray Ashar and sightseeing. The location is near Passer Baroe and National Monument.

When I was a kid, my parents took me to Istiqlal to see the Festival : I saw the biggest Al-Qur'an in the world (at that time), and there were so many culinary and bazaar. Sometimes, they asked me to see Qurotal Quran from Syeikh around the world until late night. the competition of Reading Al-Qur'an, and many others. But when I grow up, there is no more festival like this again.

I hope we can see again the festivals like those again, those were good to educated our generation in Islam.

1  Thank GameGyu K
Reviewed December 12, 2013

This is the third largest Mosque in the world after Mecca and Medina, with a maximum capacity of 200,000 persons. It is a very impressive building, as a non Muslim I was not allowed onto the floor of the main hall, but everything can be seen from the surrounding balcony. There was a guide available to explain everything for which he expected quite reasonably a tip.

3  Thank eastcoastdave199Uk
Reviewed December 7, 2013

It is the largest mosque in Southeast Asia and was built to commemorate Indonesian independence. The mosque is positioned next to Merdeka Square and the Jakarta Cathedral.

How to go there: from Monas you can ride bajaj which only costs 10,000 rupiah

There’s no entrance fee and there’s also available tour guide for foreigners.

1  Thank Juvy R