“Affordable Ribs and Probably your best bet in Penjaringan area”
Review of Smokey Ribs

Smokey Ribs
Ranked #2,505 of 7,846 Restaurants in Jakarta
Cuisines: Barbecue
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Affordable Ribs and Probably your best bet in Penjaringan area”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Ruko Crown Golf Mediterania in Pantai Indah Kapuk has been crowded with restaurants, from the fancy Western to the casual Chinese food. There were some restaurants with good potential such as Smokey Ribs. My wife and I had some good ribs at this restaurant. Here is our review of the restaurant. there.

The restaurant is a casual hang out place. The place was almost full on a Saturday night with mostly teenagers and young people. Smokey Ribs had an outdoor and indoor seating. We chose the indoor to avoid being second-hand smokers.

We shared a Smokey Baby Back Ribs and a St. Louis Hot Spare Ribs. We ordered large size for both orders because we were pretty hungry at the time. The large size has 8 rib bones versus 4 bones in the small. The ribs were served with cole slaw and either french fries or mashed potato. Their menu advertised US meat and US pork as Smokey Ribs’ ingredients.

Smokey Baby Back Ribs (Large), Rp 195k
The baby back ribs were pork ribs that were not in "baby" size. Indeed, it was almost the same size with the spare ribs. The ribs were basted with BBQ sauce. The ribs were okay, tender and quite juicy. The BBQ sauce was sweet and tasty. The cole slaw was similar to KFC cole slaw. It had diluted ranch dressing that tasted quite sweet. The mashed potato had a dense texture and tasted a bit milky, which was okay.

St. Louis Hot Spare Ribs (Large), Rp 195k
Smokey Ribs’ spare ribs were basted with hot BBQ sauce. The ribs were a little drier compared to the baby back ribs. The sauce was a bit hotter than the regular BBQ sauce, but still kept the sweet, tasty flavor. The fries were large-cut and tasted okay. We regretted to have ordered the large size since their ribs were too big for both of us. The side dishes were filling too. We would have gotten the small portion for Rp 105k.

We spent a total of Rp 380k, and that was after 20% discount they offered on the food only.

Smokey Ribs offers a casual hang out place in PIK area with good ribs at a reasonable price.

• Visited October 2012

• Indonesian first
Wichita, Kansas
“Lots of promise, little flavor”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Disclaimer:
The following review expresses my “opinion” during one or more visits to the restaurant. My opinion is influenced by my experiences, culture and tastes. Your experience may be different.

Background, The food:
For those of you who are either new to Barbecue “BBQ” St. Louis-style barbecue refers to various pork dishes prepared in and around the city of St Louis MO. USA. These foods are often prepared in a heavily sauced fashion. St. Louis-style barbecue sauce is often described as sauce with a "very sweet, slightly acidic, sticky, tomato-based barbecue and having a "distinctive tangy flavor."

Background, The reviewer:
I am a BBQ lover, St Louis, Memphis or Kansas City styles are among those I love. Jakarta is an extremely difficult city in which to find good BBQ. Some of the ribs I have been served here in Jakarta have been of very poor quality.

My choice of BBQ restaurant in the US is a small place operated by the chef and his wife. He has won First Place in more than one category in both the Kansas City and Memphis competitions on a regular basis.
Even having had my own restaurants, I cannot come close to the quality and taste they achieve. I know it is very hard to get everything correct.

First Impression:
Needless to say I was thrilled when I opened the Menu at “Smokey Ribs” to see that these were USDA (Unites States Department of Agriculture) rated meat. That means high quality imported meat. I was even further impressed when I saw they offered “St Louis Style” BBQ and even a choice of “Honey” or “Spicy”, I love spicy so I was hooked. I ordered the large size of spicy my partner ordered the Small portion of “Honey”.

The Food:
The presentation was great, Ribs, Coleslaw and French Fries the meal looked fantastic. Unfortunately, that is where the good part of the review ends. It was NOT spicy and in fact had very little flavor. My partner ordered the “Honey” and the sauce tasted the same.

The Service:
Service was not great; we had to summon the waitress each time we wanted something, They seldom checked to see if we needed anything else and when we did it seemed to take a long time to get it.

The Price:
The meal was very expensive, and in my opinion not worth the price. In all fairness we ordered an appetizer and I had several “Peach Teas” which increased the cost. In all they came very close to perfection only to fail in my opinion on taste and service.

• Visited January 2013