“Sunday Lunch Superb!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I've never written a review for a subsequent visit as there hasn't been a need to but our 2nd visit (1st was for dinner) for lunch yesterday was so good I just have to share. I also still can't believe this restaurant continues to be ranked low (# 116 of 3,003) after 33 reviews with a 90% recommendation rate, while some top 25 restaurants have fewer reviews & lower recommendation rates simultaneously; something doesn't seem right.

Anyways, the restaurant was quieter than usual as I suppose most of its patrons are out-of-town for Christmas vacation but the team was surprisingly complete (including the 2 Italian chefs & manager). I loved the olives & tomato served with the bread basket opening; even though they were simple, they tasted fresh & delicious. The organic minestrone soup was again good, as were the cheesy but tasty "La Luce" Pizza, boar, ravioli with 3 flavors, juices & scallops (ranks as 1 of the best)! Even the complimentary salmon on carrot/pumpkin was also good; after 2 visits, everything served (whether ordered or not) were tasty; there hasn't been anything not good.

We complained about a misunderstanding & the Italian manager prepared complimentary dessert, which topped off a superb & filling Sunday lunch! Service continued to be good & this is a place where you get what you pay for.

By the way, the restaurant is located in an office building after the car wash on your left, if you're heading from Pacific Place towards Jl. Senopati, & before Pad @ 28 on your right.

There are newer reviews for La Luce

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Went there for a birthday dinner for the curiosity, my colleague highly recommend this restaurant.

I not a really big fan of Italian,but I'm thinking to give this one a try.

We order 2 appetizer (mushroom soup and calamari), 2 main (truffle risotto and veal ravioli) and 1 dessert (Tiramisu). For me who don't favour Italian, the food here exceed my expectation, the calamari is good, combination of battered squid and eggplant is a great opening to our dinner.

The main course, truffle risotto and veal ravioli is delicious, I personally love the ravioli better than the risotto but my girlfriend thing the opposite. The filling they put inside the ravioli is just at the correct amount. The pasta itself is home-made and well cooked. I will be back for this ravioli.

other than the food, the ambience there is nice, and the staff is friendly and well trained

Reviewed December 22, 2013

It's been over two months since we went and the memory is a bit faded but what I can recall is that we went with so much expectation but left very disappointed.

The ambience is very pleasant - although around the table it's a bit cold for my taste I do recall liking the design of the semi-open kitchen at one end and the bar at the other.

Service started off very well too. Well, the sommelier did manage to break the cork but removing an older cork requires attention (it was a '99) and in Jakarta not all restaurant staff appreciate this - and silly me for not supervising. So no criticism there and they did prepare two very correct G&Ts.

First course - pasta. Superb. It's too long ago to remember all the detail so I'll hold back from attempting - but we're both very demanding with pasta and both plates were excellent.

But here's where it went wrong. Somehow they misunderstood the order. In Jakarta the waiters normally read back the order just to make sure there is no confusion. Lamentably, on this night there was no read-back. Alas, my wife's pasta came out with, ta daaaa, my Wagyu level 9 beef! At the time, it didn't bother me as I simply dispatched the beef back to the kitlchen and we shared my wife's pasta and then when my pasta finally came out, we shared that as well. We like sharing so this wasn't an issue.

But, as time passed, doubt started creeping in. Were they going to let that $90 steak sit there in the kitchen and re-warm it to be served later? I called a waiter over and tried to explain that this wouldn't be a good idea but I don't think the message was understood and, sure enough, when the main courses were served again, my Wagyu failed to convince. I didn't want to make an issue out of it (after a horrible week at the office I was trying to relax on a Friday night with the wife...) so I stayed quiet but it's not a great feeling feeling like maybe, just maybe, that $90 steak isn't prepared the way it should be. My wife's beef was good but not exceptional so for the main courses I'd have to say the experience was mixed.

For dessert, we ordered, to share, crepe suzette. I don't recall what drove me to do that (it's hardly an Italian dish!) but I recall seeing tiramisu and thinking how fed up I am that every Italian restaurant must offer tiramisu. Of course, for years crepe suzette suffered exactly the same fate in French restaurants...

Anyway, crepe suzette it was. Or more correctly, crepe suzette it wasn't! The grated rind was so thick and so little cooked that it was raw and crunchy! Ouch!! There was absolutely no taste of the Grand Marnier and I don't recall any flambee either. All I recall is an orange buttery juice mixed with crunchy orange zest over a rubbery crepe. What a disappointment!!.

I went there because of Trip Advisor reviews - mostly good. So maybe it was just bad luck on our part. And yes, I'm happy to confirm the pasta was great. But I can't see myself ever going back - there's too many other places on offer in Jakarta to risk spending that much money for mediocrity.

2  Thank Kangourou_itinerant
Reviewed December 21, 2013

La luce is one of the best italian in town. Love the breadsticks. We ordered pizza and pasta, and liquid nitrogen sorbet for dessert. The food is great, both taste and ingredients. The service was good but a bit overbearing sometimes.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

I have been to La Luce twice now, the first being a Chaine dinner, which of course created high expectations, which were not let down. The second time, I got to choose from the menu, which is extensive - sometimes that can be a concern, but we were not disappointed at all. We all settled for white asparagus wrapped in parma ham - which can be risky outside of the season, but in this case, very nice. My fellow diners chose a ravioli, and I had a grilled lamb cutlet. All were very much enjoyed.

The wine list is not extensive, but has a good selection of lower cost through to more expensive wines

Staff were very friendly and well trained

We really enjoyed La Luce and would recommend it.