“A little hidden treasure! Absolutely love it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sala Kitchen - CLOSED

Sala Kitchen
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Sala is the first restaurant in Indonesia with a focus on serving mussels in a variety of preparations. Mandira Isman’s culinary smarts have brought his own idea behind the menu at Sala. Moreover, our menu features over 50 dishes as well as specials—a savoury blend of fresh ingredients, and of course, special mussels that pay homage to Belgian cuisine. Our mussels are sourced from the local fishermen in the finest mussel farms of Ambon. This mussels experience is complemented by a wide selection of beer and wine.The 65-seat intimate restaurant is situated in a narrow building space that calls to mind the atmosphere of a New York cafe of the 1970s. The decor is unique, featuring a classic chandelier, hardwood floors, wall-to-wall large rustic mirrors, alongside banquette-style seating on every floor. Two of the most novel aspects of the restaurant is a pretend outdoor garden covered in lush and a basement bar with comfy sofas as well as a state of the art Italian sound system playing Sala’s eclectic music to put you at ease.Simply put, we have something to say.
Jakarta, Indonesia
“A little hidden treasure! Absolutely love it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

It's a great place with great service and excellent food! You really can't go wrong. Such a unique and dreamy place in hectic jakarta. Will definitely come back to try more!

• Visited April 2013

• Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Worth The Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Been to Sala twice and in both occasions the food was fabulous and the atmosphere was terrific. The taste is unbelievable and the menu has a wide variety. I went with my friends for dinner and we tried the pasta, muscles, lamb, steak and many others. None of them was disappointed. The food is excellent, the place is nice, the service is amazing, and by combining those, what more could a customer ask. This is a must place to come. I believe no one would be disappointed by the food.

If you have tried the food in other fancy or western restaurants, believe me, Sala's food would conquer them all.

• Visited March 2013
SalaKitchen, Owner at Sala Kitchen, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Omar-OMM and pjanusik,

Thanks so much for your wonderful review. We really appreciate it. We hope to maintain our food quality, service, and ambiance.

Cheers,
The Sala Kitchen Team.
Melbourne, Australia
“Surprising good food and value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

New restaurants pop up all the time in Jakarta. Often, after the first month, the rot sets in and they revert to being mediocre at best. My wife had tried Sala with some friends a month or so ago, and we thought we'd give it another shot.

Decor is interesting - a little "modern rustic". It is not a big space but they have done ok to get as many tables in. The food menu was interesting - I tried Escargot, followed by a steak, while my wife had an excellent barramundi. Their chunky fries were really delicious!! The wine list was good and well priced. Service wasn't fast, but that isn't a bad thing as often the food comes too quickly.

Hopefully, they can keep up the good standards - Kemang needs to higher quality restaurants and Sala could be a real winner.

• Visited March 2013
Jakarta
“I'd like to try more from the menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I went to Sala for Boxing day's lunch with a friend. We were interested in the Christmas menu, but unfortunately, it wasn't available. It would be great if during the holiday season, special menu was made available throughout the season.

I ordered pan friend barramundi with pumpkin risotto and zucchini. The fish and risotto were perfectly cooked. The fish skin was still crunchy, while the flesh was moist. The review I read in a newspaper some time ago said that the cheese in the risotto dominated the flavour, but I found the risotto was well seasoned. I guess they took the review seriously and made some improvements.

My friend ordered pasta cooked in oil with shrimps, olive and dried tomato. The taste is clean and balanced, although I'd prefer more olive oil in the pasta. If you're a big eater or very hungry, the portion might be too small, but it was fine by us who tried to implement portion control. For drinks, I finally ordered soda water after the waiter told me that the lime they used in their lime squash was syrup, not fresh lime. My friend ordered lychee ice tea.

The restaurant was quiet, so everything went reasonably well. Service was fine and relatively quick, the waiters seemed to be knowledgeable of what's in the menu. Overall, it was a good dining experience and I'd come back again.

• Visited December 2012
SalaKitchen, Owner at Sala Kitchen, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Hello lowkeytravler54 and Tiwa!

First and foremost, thank you for your wonderful postings. We truly appreciate them. Truthfully, we at Sala use the Anglo-American calendar in which the holiday season is comprised of Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's. Now, however, we realize that most tourists and expats here are from the Commonwealth. Thus, next year we will definitely have a holiday lunch special for Boxing Day as well.

Happy holidays,
Sala Kitchen.
Portland, Oregon
“Superb cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I went here for a Friday night date and have so many good things to say about Sala. First, the wine selection looks very good and the have several options by the glass. The wine is served at the right temperature and in the right glass which can't be taken for granted in Jakarta. The service was perfect with the waitress finding the right balance between letting us enjoy our meal while never wanting for anything.

The food quality and preparation really set them apart. I had the poached salmon while my husband opted for the tomato, rocket, mozzarella pizza. My salmon was perfectly cooked and very moist. It came with 2 sauces that were so delicious. There was not a scrap of food left on my plate. The pizza was also very tasty. The one minor suggestion would be to make the crust a bit crispier towards the middle. Draining the tomatos and using a pizza stone might help. Dessert (waffle w/hazelnut ice cream and sorbet) was also thoroughly enjoyed and devoured. We will definitely be back again.

• Visited October 2012