“Wonderful Choice”

Ranked #51 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Wonderful Choice”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My friend put me at this hotel. Stayed here for 2 nights. About 30 - 40 mins from airport. depending on the famous Jakarta traffic. Lovely view, room spacious enough, modern facilities. Free Wi-fi in rooms and lobby. Friendly staff. Centrally Located.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
H8535GM, General Manager at Grand Mercure Jakarta Harmoni, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Mr. Kenneth,

Warm Greetings from Grand Mercure Jakarta Harmoni.

Thank you for your feedback which posted and shared to the TripAdvisor readers.

It is a pleasure for us to hear that our guests are satisfied with our products and our service levels.

We look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel.

Christophe B. Keramaris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bogor, Indonesia
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I visited this hotel by curiosity as I knew it just open several weeks ago and offer very attractive rates even on the week-end.

The hotel is easily accessible, few hundred meters from the Monas, which makes it not far from business area (Jl Thamrin), shopping malls (Grand Indonesia, Plaza Indonesia), Museums, old city and hot nightlife venues of north Jakarta.
The staff is smiling and welcoming. The service is on overall good but there is still space for improvement which is usual for a just open hotel.

Public areas and rooms are very spacious, clean and fresh.

The room is big and offer all we can expect: quiet, comfortable bed, big closet, desk, sofa chair, big bathroom with many amenities + minibar, safety box, wifi etc.. The big window gives a nice few on the city.
The decor is very minimalist: walls, ground and furnitures white / cream / light grey, not event a picture on the wall or a touch of color . Some people may feel a bit "cold".

On overall I was very satisfied with my stay and will certainly recommend this hotel which is an excellent value for money.
I haven't yet tested the F&B but will do during my next visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank antoine-w-81
H8535GM, General Manager at Grand Mercure Jakarta Harmoni, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Mr. Antoine-W-81,

Warm greetings from Grand Mercure Jakarta Harmoni

Thank you very much for your positive review. It’s a great pleasure to welcoming you at the hotel, when we just opened a few months. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed to spend your time during your stay in Jakarta.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Best regards,
London
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I was relieved to see this hotel being built, as it is a few seconds' walk from the office complex I am usually visiting (in Jakarta, being able to walk anywhere is quite rare). I stayed for three nights here on a business trip, and despite the shortcomings, will probably return just because of the location.

The entrance and lobby are smart and modern. Finally the bar now has a license, so you can have a drink or coffee down here, although it can't really be called a "cosy" bar. The interior deco of the entire hotel is a sort of brindled marble, light grey with various patterns on it. Nice and light - a contrast to the tired wood panelling of the standard 90s Hilton look-and-feel, but also a little bit cold in places.

As some other reviewers have said, check-in is still not smooth. An awful lot of typing and clicking needs to go on. I was also told that my credit card could not be used for guarantee as it was "not a credit card". it is a credit card, just a combined cash card and visa like many banks supply; I only ever use this card for guarantee at hotels. I didn't have time to argue so paid the room up-front. Later, the first time I needed to pay for room service, they asked me for a guarantee card over the phone...and then they accepted the same card just fine.

It seems that staff have been trained to look for certain details about something, but are reluctant to exercise any common sense or discretion when something doesn't fit with the expected flow of the check-in process.

Room-wise: This hotel is essentially a Novotel, minus one star. The "superior" (basic) room is almost identical to a new Novotel template; very large bathroom (a third of the size of the bedroom area) with a monsoon shower, well-designed open-plan section with a full length mirror, mini-bar, tea and coffee, small casual table, armchair. Novotel features you don't get: Designer branded toiletries, Espresso maker, or electronic shower screen. The birch furniture and decor is a little cheap-feeling.

One thing missing was an iron and ironing board, or any press. No problem for them not to be in every room, that I completely understand. But to not have them *on request*? I don't think I have ever stayed in a business hotel, let alone one claiming to be five star, that does not keep at least one ironing board on the premises. I thought this was quite unacceptable.

I did not have breakfast in the restaurant this time, but in-room, and it was decent and delivered on time. Most of the other times I used room service, although it was prompt, the staff coming to the door either did not understand how to deal with many common questions, or had a poor command of English, or both. I can speak some Indonesian which is the only way I could manage to converse with one of the housekeeping staff about the time it would take to return laundry.

The Grand Mercure isn't particularly cheap in its segment, and to keep the prices they are asking, I hope the service levels continue improving.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank YourLocalGP
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I had booked this hotel in October 2012 (not opened yet at that time) for my stay in January 2013.

I booked the Family suite since according to the reservation personnel (I booked through phone), I am entitled to all of the extra perks e.g. breakfast at the Executive Lounge, complimentary cocktails etc. This was also specifically mentioned in the hotel brochures!!!

FYI, I am not a difficult person to please, but when someone promised me things like this, and I decided to go ahead with the booking with this hotel based on all these, I expect all of that to be included, right? I am not asking too much (for the price I have paid)!!!

But to my DISAPPOINTMENT, when I checked in, there was NO personalized check in, and to my HORROR, I was told that the Executive Lounge is NOT ready yet???!!!!

How could this be??!!! Did the reservation officer/manager was not informed at all about the Exec Lounge that is NON-EXISTENT!!!!

Although I have to give credit to the room which was in good condition and satisfactory, I just couldn't accept the fact that they 'lied' to me on that particular 'perks'!!!!

I might as well stayed at a lesser hotel nearby for a cheaper price.

And I don't even want to talk about the breakfast, if you know what I mean...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank eelza72
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 17, 2013

The hotel is new and located in the busy Kota area. I moved to this hotel after cancelling my rooms in Mercure Kota (read my review of that hotel!). The rooms are clean, new and has a nice minimalist design. The bathroom is also large, and well equipped. The bed is comfortable. Generally the hotel has great rooms. But that's about all they have.

The service is inconsistent at best. Perhaps because they were new. The staff were generally friendly and smiled a lot. But were obviously not very well trained - questions were not well answered. A case in point is the restaurant. There were mosquitoes at my table and when I told the servers about it, they gave me a nice, genuine smile, walked away and never came back!

As an LeClub Platinum member, I requested for an upgrade at checkin and was told that I would have to pay the price difference to do so. At check out I called to ask if I can keep the room till 3pm as I had a night flight to catch. Again, after waiting for the receptionist to consult the duty manager, I was told that the hotel do not have such facilities for LeClub members. For that, I was told, I would have to stay in a Sofitel and Pullman.

Ultimately, Grand Mercure Harmoni could have been a better product, if only service is more consistent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank WilliamNg111
H8535GM, General Manager at Grand Mercure Jakarta Harmoni, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Mr. William,

Thank you for your comment.

Customer satisfaction is our priority set of the team Grand Mercure Jakarta Harmoni.

In regards to the LeClub Platinum member, we already brief it personally to the Department concern and make sure the guest get the benefit of it.

Thank you very much for taking time to write a comment.

Looking forward to welcoming you in the near future in Grand Mercure Jakarta Harmoni.

Bandung
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Staff reception was kindly respond my coming, and had good knowledge about Accor Adv. Plus Benefit, but unfortunately i was bit disappointed with their reservation staff with their knowledge that stated room upgrade only available from superior room to deluxe. meanwhile as long as i know upgrade possible to the room category and subject to availability, but their reception staff solved this issue well.

the deluxe room was great, spacious, clean, fresh, amenities provided were great, and nice design. need improvement for water heater that did not work well in the morning, and the tap water was slightly turbid.

breakfast also need improvement for their level, not too many selection of foods. but the quality of food itself were good, and meet expectation.

sure, will back again to stay here and hopefully will have some improvement in missing area as i stated for my next staying.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Adhiegunadharma
Dear Mr. Adhiegunadarma,

Greetings from Grand Mercure Jakarta Harmoni....

Please accept our apologize concerning your inconvenience experience as an advantage plus member. We will make sure that it will not happen again in the future. We take a note and review with every element related.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had good experiences with our staff!

Looking forward to having you with us again in the nearest future.

Malaysia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed 1 night in the superior room and my reviews as follows:

1) Hotel Location:
Quite good. With Plaza Gajah Madah (Matahari) opposite the hotel and 24 hrs mcd next to the hotel. Hotel is about 15 minutes taxi ride to central part of jakarta (only USD3/IDR24,000 taxi fare to get to Plaza Indonesia). So overall, quite a good location.

2) Hotel Lobby & Check In:
Lobby looks ok, spacious and have a lot of seating area for guest. However, the check in queue and speed is very poor even though there is a staff placed at every counter. Staff have a lot of things to key in which is very unusual considering i have prepaid and did my booking online. Need to improve on the check in speed especially if the hotel is fully booked.

3) Superior Room:
Very nice and very comfortable bed. Nice rainshower bath. Love the bathroom which is quite spacious for superior room. Overall, very nice. Does look like a 5 star room. No complains at all.

4) Buffet Breakfast:
- Very poor selection. Even 4 star novotel breakfast is so much better than this 5 star hotel. Such a let down.
-Lack of service staff during crowded period. Really need to improve on food replenishment. The hotel need to hire more service staff. Doesnt make sense to only have 2 waiter/waitress walking around the huge area to clean up tables.
- We were also asked to have our breakfast on level 2 as the buffet on ground floor is full. It was terrible on level 2. With food not being replenish for more than 30 minutes. Juices are empty, milk are empty. They only replenish water and coffee and tea. Food are also not replenish for more than 20 minutes. Very very poor service and food selection at level 2.
Overall, for the price they are charging and also for a 5 star hotel, the breakfast is not acceptable even for a 3 star hotel. The whole team and management have to reorganise the breakfast to be on par with other 5 star hotel in town. Such a big let down.

5) Swimming Pool, Gym & Jacuzzi
- very small pool. definitely dont look like a 5 star hotel pool - also considering the hotel has so many rooms and guest. Bad planning.
-Gym looks ok and clean.
-Jacuzzi area is spacious but the hotel staffs on level 5 do not speak good english. We had problems understanding them especially when we were asked to place our belonging in the locker at the gym instead of the locker at the jacuzzi area when we have told them that we are using the jacuzzi and not the gym. Again, all this is not acceptable to an international hotel chain.

Overall, i am only happy with the room and the location. I hated the hotel facilities, check in and the breakfast especially.

Room Tip: High floors rooms are better.