“Good connecting rooms for wheelchair traveler and companion”

Mercure Jakarta Simatupang
Ranked #32 of 459 Hotels in Jakarta
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Good connecting rooms for wheelchair traveler and companion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

In Feb 2013 I stayed in the Mercure with a friend of mine, traveling in a wheelchair. We booked connecting rooms on the third floor so I could help him out in case assistance was needed.
The connecting rooms are conveniently located close to the elevator. The bathroom is spacious and equipped with special handles near the toilet and shower. And the closet doors slide, making them easy to use for my friend. The room itself is a bit small for a wheelchair, it takes some effort to cruise between the narrow hallway, the bathroom and bedroom. We moved some furniture to make the central area a bit bigger. Beds are very comfortable. And you can conveniently order room service for food or a massage.

The public spaces in the hotel are great when you travel in a wheelchair. The restaurant, lounge and the rooftop bar and restaurant are spacious. There is a ramp at the entrance of the hotel. Please be aware that the elevator doors close quickly, before you know it you’re stuck with your wheelchair.

It is a new hotel with a lot of potential. A special thank you for the personnel, they helped us out wherever possible.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mleine
Mercure M, General Manager at Mercure Jakarta Simatupang, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Mleini,

Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay with us.
I am very pleased to read your comments and learned that you enjoy your stay at Mercure Jakarta Simatupang Hotel.
We hope that we can be of service again in the future during your next visit to Jakarta.

Gilles Tressens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Indonesian first
Hermanus, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed four nights in the hotel on a business trip in February 2013 in a "superior" room on the 4th floor located on the main entrance side. This room-type is small but sufficient provided one only needs to sleep and shower there. Although everything is relatively new and designed to look fancy "boutique" style and modern, the furniture is flimsy and not really comfortable particularly when one needs to work on a laptop. There is no carpet and I found the room rather sterile and uninviting, so I didn't really look forward to get there in the evening.

Hot water in the shower was only immediately available in the morning, whereas in the evening the shower had to run for 5-10 minutes before producing any water hot enough for a shower. My room faced a 6 lane high-level toll road with adjacent standard multi-lane roads producing correspondingly high levels of noise. I certainly wouldn't consider this a "wonderful view of the city" as advertised on the hotel website. One evening, there was also a total power failure for about 20 minutes. While my room had an emergency light, a gentleman staying in one of the neighbouring rooms told me that he had no light at all, i.e. the emergency light in his room did not work. He also reported problems with the hot water supply.

On the plus-side: My room was clean with a comfortable bed, providing satellite TV with plenty of good channels and free (only suitable for email and general web browsing) wifi. Generally, I found the staff very friendly and helpful within their capabilities. There is a restaurant on the base level serving both buffet- and reasonably priced a-la-carte meals of which I sampled some of the various burgers during my stay. I can recommend these, particularly the salmon burger. The breakfast selection and quality is average.

To get away from the hotel is not easy because of the traffic. It is located in an uninviting commercial area seemingly far away from anything of after-hour interest. I did not notice any alternative restaurants in its immediate vicinity.

In my opinion, this is not a genuine 4-Star hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the main entrance side of hotel as this is immediately next to busy toll and standard...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Peter F
Dear Mr. Peter F,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to our hotel. We have noted both your positive and negative comments and would like to assure you that we will investigate the negative comments regarding the power failure and the hot water in the shower.

I will be using your information to review our operation to identify our obvious shortcomings during your stay and hope that with this information we will be able to improve our service in the future.

Again, thank you for your comments and our apologize for the inconvenient you experienced.

Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

I didn't pick this hotel when I stayed here, my Mum booked me a room as it turned out that we couldn't stay at her house for the first few days of our stay in Jakarta. Overall, I would say this hotel isn't bad. Room was clean and spacious enough, room service, hotel staff & receptionist were friendly and helpful.

Interior of the room I stayed in was quite modern with a touch of traditional Jakarta feel - loved the illustrations behind the bed. The pool was a nice a little area, though I didn't like the smoke from smokers, would probably be a better experience for me if there was a separate smoker room/section here? I am accustomed to the 'no smoking under covered areas' policy from Melbourne so my complaint might not even be valid. Gym was small but I guess a big gym would be useless since I am guessing the guests of this hotel would be people on business trips with little time to spend on leisure.

Only downside, as with other reviewers, no views from the windows (though I would say it's a bit of a stupid request to ask for a good view from a hotel in South Jakarta.. - only stayed here because it was close to Mum's)

I also didn't try their food but prices seemed reasonable for a hotel restaurant.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the non-smoking floor if you're a non-smoker, smoke can be a bit much..
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank xandiee
Mercure M, General Manager at Mercure Jakarta Simatupang, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your review. We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Amersfoort, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is absolutely a great hotel and great value for money. Two points of criticism: 1) Location South Jakarta (not really criticism just a critical not, it only makes sense to stay here if you have business in South Jakarta, maximum up to Kemang Area....I think that is actually the reason why the hotel is located in South Jakarta) 2) Swimming pool.........it cannot really be called a Swimming pool, it is located on the 19th floor together with the rooftop bar, the pool is very small honestly and it looks more like adding nice decor to the rooftop bar.
Otherwise, great value for money and very nice and helpfull staff!

Room Tip: If you like more space, take a Superior Suite (is the room I stayed in)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ThomasEMM
Dear reviewer,

We sincerely hope to welcome you again sometime soon at Mercure Jakarta Simatupang.

Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed at the privilege room for 2 nights and get disappointed on both. I selected the hotel due to its proximity to our Indonesia office. To think that "privilege" = "pay more", I was quite shocked to enter my room and found used bathrobe thrown at the entrance of the shower room. Used soap was at the bath stand. Although the rest of the room looked cleaned, I noticed the bed cover has a slight brownish stain. I was informed that this hotel is relatively new - which make me wonder about the stain.

When the housekeeping person came, he handed me a tube of shower gel and shampoo at my door (obviously they had misunderstood my complain!). I had to point out to him all the area that require clean-up. He came in, picked up the robe and walked out leaving the room door wide open without a word to me, and not coming back for another 10mins! I was busy on my computer and was shocked to realize that my room door was wide open while the cleaner was gone... Surely he could hv informed me when he need to step-out?

Although 80% of the guests seem to be there for business, the rooms were not designed to meet such needs. There was a round table with reading light, and an armchair without wheel. The writing table is so small and without chair. I have no choice but to actually work on my laptop on the bed. I don't welcome the idea of dragging the heavy arm-chair to the tiny writing table. And the coffee machine facility provided for my room actually leaked.

To top it all up, there was no water coming out from the shower when I woke up at 6am to rush for an early meeting. Apparently there was a power trip during the night which caused some technical issue with their lights and water system. Although the issue was resolved within 20mins, I sure do not like the experience of being made to wait when I need to rush (thanks to the horrible traffic in Jakarta).

Overall, my experience in this hotel was not acceptable. Neither their facility nor their breakfast impressed me. I had stayed in various Ibis and Mercure hotels and had been generally satisfied so I will continue to book Mercure but definitely not at this branch hotel.

Room Tip: this hotel has no view because of its location so there really is no point to pay more for higher fl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Vera V
Mercure M, General Manager at Mercure Jakarta Simatupang, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Ms. Vera,

We have noted with utmost concern such incidents you are reported herein and have taken serious account on improving each and every shortfalls mentioned.

We wish to record our appreciation for providing us with the sincere comments that have helped us to improve our standard of service even further.

jakarta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

a night in this hotel, which got the lowest rate through the booking in Accorgroup for the opening rate, the staff is friendly, and the room is clean, yes since this is a new hotel. this hotel located in the busy area of south jakarta, with almost full of trafficjam infront of the hotel everytime. I like the interior which painted with a "comical scene of Jakarta"
suggestion for the management : improve the pedestrian to the nearest mall, since it very dark in the night, and not easy to walk without proper pedestrian.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Desniar B
Dear reviewer,

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel as it is always a pleasure to read constructive comments for the betterment of our operation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

The location of this hotel is horrible. It is located in front of the highway in the middle of nowhere, with nothing around. As traffic is horrible in jakarta, it takes forever to go anywhere from here. Walking distance there is only one basic mall, 10 minutes away, but the way is badly paved and dark at night, and this is not a very safe area after dusk.

The swimming pool area doubles as lounge bar, so it closes at 6 pm. It is just a small pool and a hot spa, enough to relax, but management is so poor that they failed to understand that the only people staying here are those with business in the area, and those people will come back to the hotel normally after 6, a time at which they cannot use the pool because "it may offend guests of the lounge bar". Bear in mind that the lounge bar has virtually no clients, as nobody will bother going to this location and the prices are high.

The hotel is rated and priced as 4-star but it is really a 3.5 star, a little overpriced. The staff is very nice, as is mostly the case in Jakarta.

Room Tip: Unless you have business very nearby, trust me, do not stay in this hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Mercure M, General Manager at Mercure Jakarta Simatupang, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Warmest greetings from Mercure Jakarta Simatupang!

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write this review.
The hotel is located in the south Business District next to the outer ring road. A growing numbers of international oil and gas companies surround the area, and I believe that this is relatively safe and secure environment. Concerning opening hours for the pool located on the sky bar, we try to accomodate every guest and coordinate security and disturbance by closing and opening hours.

Please accept my apologies if we did not inform you a proper way. We will take note on the concerns raised and try to improve the matters to develop an exceptional stay experience for all our guests.