“Doesn't live up to its hype”

SKYE Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 7,985 Restaurants in Jakarta
Cuisines: International
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of the city, on the 56th floor rooftop of BCA Tower - Grand Indonesia, Thamrin, SKYE is established to be a "Lifestyle Resort in The Sky" and an iconic landmark for the city, providing a unique atmosphere for a quick getaway for Jakartans from their daily hectic lives. With its unique Southern-American influence on its architecture and interior design, SKYE comprise of spacious indoor and outdoor areas where it offers its patrons a one-of-a-kind panoramic view of the city's horizons as they are invited to indulge in a sumptuous selection of signature dishes and drinks. SKYE's outdoor area is a "bistro by day, lounge by night", while the indoor area is a dining restaurant. SKYE serves international fusion cuisine. Recently, SKYE proudly welcomes Hamish Lindsay as its new Executive Chef. As the hidden prodigy from Auckland, New Zealand, Hamish had worked closely together with Australia's finest celebrity chefs, including Pete Evans and Manu Feildel from My Kitchen Rules, as well as "world champion pizza maker" John Lanzafame, to name a few. Come fly to the SKYE. NOTE: 1. Age restriction in the SKYE Lounge of 19+ years old 2. Dress Code: - Evening Wear for Ladies - Semi Formal for Men - No Shorts - No Flipflops - No Sandals - No Tanktops/Singlets
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Of course it gives you stunning view of Jakarta, but.... It's way to chilly and windy outside. Been to Sky on 57 Marina Bay Sands, and the outdoor seating wasn't as windy, I could barely feel cold, actually. So ladies, if you're visiting Jakarta's Skye, please bring a jacket with you. Also note that don't bother about getting into the rooftop bar after certain hours if you're underage!

Food - great presentation. Unfortunately it was bland. So I wasn't really happy spending so much money for not so tasty food. It looks great for the eyes, doesn't satisfy my tongue and tummy at all.

Staffs+service - They're very friendly, quite attentive and cheerful. The + thing from this place :)

However, the decoration was of course nice. Great atmosphere (It's one of Ismaya's after all!) It was very crowded at night, I don't think it's possible to get a place without a reservation (both the restaurant and rooftop bar) but luckily a friend of mine had reservation there, and I'd happily stand on the rooftop bar but it was too chilly to even bother.

Drinks - I think they need to enhance champagne or wine selections. It's a high end restaurant, after all! I did ordered the signature cocktail from Skye, the name has Lunar or something, didn't like it at all.

I don't understand the dress code of this place though. You'll see, there are expatriates and local visitors in this place. I thought you have to dress smart to get into the lounge. What I saw was lots of them didn't (shirts and jeans/shorts) And they were the expatriates, (some locals too though). I just don't get why bother making rules about dress code if the staffs are not even following it. Could it be cause of some of them were expatriates so they can get in even that they were against the dress code?

The place is worth A visit, because it's the hype of the town. Second time? Mmmm I don't think so.

There are newer reviews for SKYE Bar & Restaurant

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Nice decor, friendly staff, beautiful view of Jakarta from the height, good lounge music - not too loud that you still could hold a conversations without raising your voice. Atmosphere was okay - the place was full with those who wanted to see and be seen, not quite my personal choice of hang out place. But hay ... it's the happening place, I just got to experience it at least once!

The drinks and foods was just okay for the price, nothing really special. But then again, you probably pay more for the ambiance. Would recommend it if you want to impress your date or business partner :-)

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Ok.. 1st of all I needn't even bother talking about the venue or ambience or anything like that.. enough will agree and I will concur that this place is amazing, world class even..

But for one thing..

I just can't get over my major gripe about this type of place in Jakarta (Biblioteque, Union being among the worst, Loewy & Potato Head a bit better imo).. why spend millions upon millions of dollars developing a world class designer venue when you are going to staff it, even overstaff it, with $100 a month morons from the kampung!

Screw dress codes, house rules, whoever your clientele is, you want to make this place truly world class? Well finish the job and hire some world class staff!

My experiences here, two of them so far, have both been so woefully bad from a service perspective that I doubt I'll even bother with the place again unless it's to open a bottle or something that's going to involve the least possible need to deal with the staff.. at least for a while as apparently they need more than the few months they have had already to get their act together..

An example from last night, called beforehand to ask about a table, was told not to worry as it was only Sunday so could just show up, great. So we got there and asked about a nice table which was empty, got told no, no surprises there. So we just sat at another one which we were fine with and ordered the bottle list. When the girl brought it she asked, 'are you guys going to open a bottle', 'yes', 'oh, ok, well why don't you take this table' (the one we already asked about), 'oh we can have that one now?' 'sure she says!!'... so we moved to it and another group got our original table.. then comes someone else who tells us we can't have the table, ok thats fine we'll just go back to the other one, nope, can't have that one now it's taken!! Did we fall for a trick?!?! So we got a third table which wasn't great but we wanted to move on with the evening... which was nice enough... but for the utterly useless narrow minded staff..

Staff wise I guess you get what you pay for, in the case of Skye and many other places in Jakarta, it seems to be in spite of clearly being able to afford much better..

2  Thank Harri B
Reviewed September 12, 2012

WOW! We almost didn't go, but once we got there we were so thankful we didn’t miss it.

Perfect for a drink at sunset, dinner, and just relaxing to the chill out music, and amazing skyline of Jakarta, highly recommend.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Located on 56th floor of Menara BCA this bar and restaurant boasts an amazing view of the Jakarta skyline. Excellent waitstaff that were attentive and available at your beck and call. We stayed in the bar lounge area drinking wine and cocktails and had a few snacks (quesadilla and crabmeat sandwich - both were good) so I can't comment on the restaurant side.

This is one happening place - local woman dressed to the nines love to gave their picture taken with the city's lights in the background. This place would be hot in any place in the world: NY, LA, London - you name it. A must go if you want to experience the best Jakarta night life has to offer.