“Well done and highly informative tour!”

Jakarta Hidden Tours
Ranked #2 of 45 Tours in Jakarta
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A lifetime social humanity tours and cultural and city nation state orientation.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Well done and highly informative tour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

I did this tour in October 2013. Ronnie is an excellent guide who is doing a fantastic job of educating foreign travelers and helping those most in need in Jakarta. I did this tour as a solo female traveler and would highly recommend this tour to anyone who is interested in meeting the warm and friendly residents of Jakarta's impoverished areas.

As a comment to those who mentioned that they did not receive prompt replies to emails, I had a similar experience when looking to book the tour. Only once I took the tour did I realise how strained their resources are. In addition to giving tours, they are very busy helping the impoverished people that tourists may meet on the tour. I would encourage those looking to book this tour to be patient when waiting for a reply. I believe that Jakarta Hidden Tours are really doing their best to raise awareness and funding through the tours and help those in need.

I HIGHLY recommend this tour.

Visited October 2013
7 Thank Travvvvler

• Indonesian first
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“The other side of Jakarta tourists don't see”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

When I heard about this tour I was very eager to go. I found it hard to organise. No one returned emails and my questions were not answered. Once on the tour we were shown the rich Jakarta and given a short history lesson. This was very informative and set you up for the rest of the tour. Traveling by local transport was beneficial to see how middle class and slightly lower class travel. We were taken to an area of severe poverty. Seeing how the families live and where the children play and lack of food, clean water and education was an eye opener. These people need help and to be recognised. They should let you know what you can bring to help. Should you bring note books, pens, pencils, food?

I found the tour very political with the main focus on how much the government hates these tours and how much the media love them. It was all about the tour operator and very little about the hidden part of Jakarta. When asked what the donation went to I was given the vague answer of 50% went to administration and 50% to the community. When asked how the community benefitted from the money I didn't receive an answer. I was given a motto and not much more.

Through family connections in Jakarta I met some university students who took me to schools they have set up in areas of Jakarta that are just as poor with problems of drugs and crime. The schools are supported by volunteer university students that teach and help the community to help themselves. They gave me a tour of the community and explained how the families scrape together just enough to get by each day. The children I met, some as young as 4 work in construction and on the streets. I learnt how they are helping with no funding and no donations from tourists. They are on their own. I learnt more from these students than I did on the hidden tour.

The tour is worth doing but they need to lift their game, work on organisation, tell those who come on the tour what the plight of these people is and how your money is helping, where your money going and what is it going to do. Help is to help them! Don't talk politics and media

Visited January 2014
11 Thank Milly Molly M
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Unique opportunity to see the real Jakarta with lovely guides.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

What a day! 10am-5pm. Met by Ronny and Anneke in the centre of Jakarta and taken around the city on all modes of transport available - Bus, Train, TukTuk, Bike Cart round the local village, Bicycle Ride with a local through the colossal traffic - brilliant experience. Having Ronny and Anneke with us opened the door to Jakarta, we couldn't have begun to do it on our own. Pleasant day with breaks for drinks and lunch. Great insight into local cuisine, history and culture throughout.

The goal of the tour is to help the local people who live in the poverty stricken 'villages' (slums). Anneke and Ronny donate copious amounts of time and money to these communities. Teaching the children English and paying for doctor/school fees amongst other things.

A nominal donation is made at the end of the tour, no pressure is placed upon you to 'empty your pockets' but instead you feel good to be helping out a great cause.

Having been in Jakarta 2 days we had seen very little due to an inability to get places easily and a reluctance to wander the streets alone. We were glad we took this tour on our final day as it allowed us to leave Jakarta having gained a proper insight into the city.

Well done Ronny and Anneke - keep up the good work! Greig and Lynsey from Scotland :)

Visited December 2013
8 Thank GMat7
Australia
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“A moving experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

In all my travels through Asia so far, I have found the Indonesian people to be the nicest - polite, smiling and always friendly and welcoming. Even in the poorer parts of Jakarta that are visited by Ronny's tour this is the case, which makes the plight of these beautiful people all the more tragic.

Ronny's tour raises a social consciousness, which I hope will somehow filter through to the Indonesian Government, and encourage the Government to offer some assistance to these people, who deserve much, much more.

The tour operators themselves could be a bit more organised (which they will happily admit to). Being short staffed and busy at work within the community leaves them with not enough time to spend on their tours and responding to communications, which made actually getting onto the tour a bit of a haphazard experience for me. It would also have been good if some toilet stops were built into the tour (noting that we were out for quite a few hours).

Visited September 2013
3 Thank Braziltraveller2010
San Francisco, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Authentic, genuine tour of life in Jakarta”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Initially I was very skeptical of this trip because I was worried that it was a tour that commoditized the people living in the slums. However, I was gladly wrong.

The people leading and organizing the tour kind, genuine, knew the people in the slum, cared about their welfare, and wanted to show a different aspect of Jakarta to people so action can be made to improve the living conditions in the slums.

I've seen quite a few poor areas, but was shocked to see people living without a roof over their head, next to the train tracks, where every 10 minutes a train would run through. The people living in the slums were very friendly, resilient, and seemed to make the best out of the situation they were in, which was inspirational.

I would HIGHLY recommend everyone to go on this tour.

Visited November 2013