“Great ambience ruined by mosquitoes”
Review of Bluegrass

Bluegrass
Ranked #45 of 7,737 Restaurants in Jakarta
Cuisines: American, International, Bar, European
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Great ambience ruined by mosquitoes”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I came here with my friends because of the hype on SocMed (especially on Path). When we entered this restaurant we were politely greeted by the waiter, and we got seated immediately (which is excellent). And after we looked our surrounding, we almost conclude that this was a cosy place to hang out (and we were in for surprises).

Unfortunately, when we have decided what to eat, we were waiting for almost 15 minutes for the waiter to take our orders. Fortunately they are very polite and provide us with comprehensive information about the food. But I think nobody wants to wait that long, especially when we're hungry. And we have to wait for another 15-20 minutes for the food preparation.

The food was okay, but during our meal, we got bitten by mosquitoes a lot. And it really ruins our mood to enjoy the good ambience of the restaurant. The manager needs to address this mosquitoes issue. It might seem like a menial issue, but I think nobody could enjoy a fine meal while scratching their mosquitoes-bitten hands.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank OttoDeschanel

• Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Mosquitos' lair with a below-par service”
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Went there tonight (14 Oct '13) hoping to get a nice, fancy dinner. The place was nice, really spacious with a number of empty table when I came in around 5pm. The greeter showed me my seat where my friends already seated. I read the menu quickly, was ready to order, and looked for a waiter. There were prolly 6 waitstaff and 5 bartenders on off-peak hours but nobody seems to care that I just sit-in and would like to order. A waiter walked past and I told her I wanted to order and my friend asked for some sugar syrup. She told us to wait and so we waited and waited... and waited for someone to come and get my order and my friend's sugar syrup. Finally after 15 mins of waiting, I called one of the barista and told him I wanted to order. He called a waiter who then finally came, hastily answered my questions, and took my order. The meal came around 15 mins of waiting.
I had a beef brisket. It was ok, quite tender, but not melt in the mouth type. The portion was big though, good enough for sharing. I was eating my meal when I started getting bitten by mosquitoes. We were indoor, in this posh looking restaurant and I was having a mosquitoes' rampage.
All in all, with the so-so taste, below-par service, and that many mosquitoes I didnt get what I hoped for. Restaurant should really pay attention on their waitstaff's service and not just on their interior design and fancy looking menu.

1 Thank si_zel
Melbourne, Australia
“A great venue but mediocre food”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

One night we strolled around Kuningan and decided to try this restaurant. I was impressed to see a proper bar set-up in the middle of the restaurant. We are told that there was only one table available in the smoking area but later they moved us to non-smoking area. Alas, the enjoyment of dining without inhaling cigarette smoke was short-lived. At 9 pm, the area has turned into a little smoking room just like the one you find at the Indonesian airports. Mind you, I am a smoker but prefer to go out when I feel like a cigarette.

The food is pretty average. My friend's steak was undercooked (he ordered medium but came out rare). My pulled pork sandwich was two sweet buns filled with braised pork (there is a huge different between pulled pork and braised pork). I was expecting a baguette with pulled pork and simple coleslaw not a burger-looking sandwich that you could normally get from Hungry Jacks. My companion ordered basil smashed gin but she was served a glass of gin with some basil leaves as a garnish. They might have forgotten mortar and pestle.

However, the service was pretty good. The waitstaff was pretty attentive. If they can import some good wine from Australia (there was no Jacob's Creek on the list) why can't they put at least Australian pale ale on tap?

• Visited September 2013
“Staff , Please improve”
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

This is constructive criticism ... The place is awesome , the setting is there , food is great ... Only thing missing is the service ... If they wanna present themselves as western bistro then they have to improve alot ... Giving a main course 3 minutes after appetizer is just stupid ... 5 different waiters coming to our tables to give us the main course , no coordination whatsoever ... Horrible

• Visited October 2013
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Serves fantastic food, matched only by its hip atmosphere”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I initially thought Bluegrass would just be another upscale late night hang-out spot in the city. But it proves to be more than a place to chat and drink. Bluegrass offers very serious main menus in terms of taste and size.

Like many other acclaimed restaurants in Jakarta, Bluegrass's seats are often full. But while you are waiting to be seated, you will be asked to sit at the bar. Which is a welcome treat; I even had my appetizers at the bar.

My friends and I had steaks and roasted chicken. They tasted excellent; tender, tasty, well-seasoned, and complemented with baby potatoes and other side-dishes that looks quite distinctive and tasted nice too.

The waiters were actually proactive in recommending us several menus and side-dish choices, as well as explaining what many of the menus are; something that I find is very rare in Jakarta.

Although Bluegrass is a hip place with dimly-lit lighting, most of the patrons were in their 30s and of middle-age. Many of them expats.

In the end, I think Bluegrass has many to offer aside from its cozy ambiance. Its menus are something to have high expectations of. Go here for serious dinners, or just casual chats; the place is excellent for both occasions.

• Visited February 2013