“Great service!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #143 of 453 Hotels in Jakarta
Singapore
“Great service!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

Our host booked us in Sahid Jaya. No sitting facitlities at the lobby/reception area.Check in no hassle.Room 798 has a pool view!Nice! As it is a standard room everything in it is standard! The room is clean. Breakfast is ok There is a decent selection of pastries. And a few fruit juices which caught my immediate attention.We had an early breakfast for an early check out. Service throughout our one nite stay was superb!We thanked our host for his kind hospitality and letting us expereinced the Sahid Jaya.

Room Tip: If you are picky about rooms, try elsewhere! If you are not then the Sahid Jaya is ok if you put int...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jamrah
atillatilla, Konuk İlişkileri Müdürü at Grand Sahid Jaya Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2012
Hello; I traveled to jakarta and stayed Grand sahid jaya hotel for 4nights in march - 19 -2012
In my opinion ,nice hotel and great location. If you face any problem related with hotel you have to find Mr yudhi_rama and tell the situation . he will do his best to solve and make you happy. I , thank you again from here. If you sit down in solo lounge the responsibilty lady will show you indoneasion traditional respect and attitude I thank her from here. YOU can read rewievs which is not good , at the conclusion I advise you to stay hotel Grand sahid jaya hotel have a good travel have a good days
ATİLLA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Dakota City, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2011

when I visited Jakarta in my brief tour with the family. I chose this hotel, friendly service that makes me comfortable. large rooms with adequate lighting quality. view of the room that leads to Jl. General Sudirman also made my thoughts on Indonesia more memorable. My breakfast was in filled with a varied culinary with a satisfying taste. maybe later when I returned to Indonesia I would choose this hotel again with my family ^ _ ^

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JesicaMoury
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

Very rude manager at the frontdesk, Ms Nita (the only name I noted), who is the manager, puts the level of this hotel down. Very nice exterior but words coming out of her mouth will put this hotel to shame. She will try to excuse the hotel's very low level of service. NOT RECOMMENDED. If you want to stay for the location try Le Meridien next door.

• Stayed September 2011
8 Thank localjktresident

Travelers are raving about these Jakarta hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

Room was okay, spacious but with old furnitures. Service was decent. The location is probably the best 'feature' of this hotel, right in Jl. Jenderal Sudirman, one of the main road and business district in Jakarta.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andy W
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed one Friday night in a no smoking double room at the Grand Sahid Jaya. I had lived at the Sahid for about a month in 1984. We heard it was recently renovated, and I wanted to see how it had changed. We booked a room on booking.com at about $150. I would advise travelers not to pay more than $50 a night. Inefficiencies chewed up our time waiting for things that should have been provided with the room.

Location
In 1978, the Sahid was the queen of South Jakarta hotels. Since then, other hotels have moved in to compete, most notably Le Meridien which is within walking distance of the Sahid (and provider of a much better deal for on a Friday night).

Room
Our room was at the end of a long walk from the elevators past a leaking overhead pipe. It had not yet been fixed, and a clever system was set up whereby one bucket was used to catch the dripping water and a second bucket was to be used when the first bucket filled up, requiring fewer trips to empty the bucket. The surface of the sink bowl was peeling. It was unsightly, but the sink remained functional. We found that there was only one towel in the bathroom. I phoned housekeeping and asked them to bring a towel. There were no washcloths, and we had called housekeeping so often that we didn't even bother to ask for any. The brochure of services on the desk was a three-ring binder with some of the pages falling out because the holes were torn and not replaced. At times the room smelled of cigarette smoke from the hall, we assume. Small LCD clock. Magazines, including Newsweek, were provided in the room. No spare toilet paper. When we ran out, we called our old friends at housekeeping. Two small 230 ml water bottles were provided (compared to 600 ml at Sari Pan Pacific and Le Meridien). The next day, we wheeled our suitcases to Le Meridien, next door to the Sahid, and got a much better deal.

Entertainment
Wide screen TV, Cinemas, HBO, Star World. One channel had wavy lines, the others were good.

Internet
Internet was free. When I arrived at the room, I tried wi-fi (there was none) because I had to send a message urgently, and I looked for a LAN cable, but there was none. I went to the reception area, and they called housekeeping and told them to bring a cable for the room. After a decent wait and a call from me to housekeeping (yes, yes, they said, they'll bring one), I went again to reception, stood in the queue while guests checked in, and the lady at reception phoned housekeeping and scolded them, saying a cable was promised 15 minutes ago. Housekeeping never brought a cable, but the next time I went to reception and asked if housekeeping even had LAN cables, the lady phoned IT. I think it was the IT man who finally brought a cable 45 minutes later, and everything worked fine. He told me to leave the cable in the room when I checked out.

Restaurants
There were no descriptions of hotel restaurants in information provided in the room. We felt that if the hotel wasn't proud enough of their restaurants, we should walk over to Le Meridien for dinner. We asked at the desk about rooms on the weekends.

Breakfast
The buffet breakfast was a C+ by Indonesian standards (Indonesian hotels usually have good breakfasts). When guests left tables, napkins were replaced, but often coffee cups/spoons and utensils were not. There was an egg station, fresh fruit, choices of cereal, and pastries. 90% of the guests were Indonesians, probably enjoying weekend discount rates for residents of Jakarta.

Quiet enjoyment
Our room was in the back of the hotel facing the parking area for the meeting hall. The car call came though so loudly in the room that we could discern quite clearly the name of each driver who was being called. Window glass must not have been very thick.

We can't figure out if we experienced a chain of coincidences. It looks like the hotel is trying to operate on a budget that is insufficient for proper training and maintenance. Would we recommend this hotel to a friend? Not to a good friend.

Room Tip: Try Le Meridien next door
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Staidthere
GM-GSJH, General Manager at Grand Sahid Jaya Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
Dear Staidthere,

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent experience at the Grand Sahid Jaya Jakarta.

As fulfilling guests’ emotional and physical needs is our hotel’s ultimate goal. We appreciate customer feedback so that we may listen, understand and respond in a competent, accurate and timely fashion.

When you were staying at Grand Sahid Jaya Jakarta, the hotel was running a very high occupancy in rooms and catering, which has resulted in our staff not been the quickest were they should have been, as you mentioned in your comment. This is not an excuse but an explanation as to why we were a bit slow in following up guest requests.

As for the dripping, there was a breach in one water pipe in the corridor and it took a bit of time to get it fixed properly.

The Grand Sahid Jaya has started to renovate the hotel and I am sure you have seen all the improvements but the renovation project is not finished yet and has still a lot of work ahead in the room areas.

Dear Staidthere, your stay with us resulted in a series of irritations, marring what should have been an otherwise memorable stay. Once again, I must apologize for our lack of overall guest satisfaction, naturally, hotels want their guests to receive the best possible stay and we thank you for your comments.

Without your input, we would not better our understanding of our guest’s fulfillment or disappointment in our hotels services.

Should you wish to return, I would appreciate hearing from you.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2011

Room was okay. Breakfast was okay. It had all I needed but as expected for what I paid. Its main advantage was its location in Jl. Jendral Sudirman.

• Stayed May 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GM-GSJH, General Manager at Grand Sahid Jaya Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Dear simpledel,

Sincere thanks for choosing the Grand Sahid Jaya Hotel as your preferred hotel destination in Jakarta.

Comments and suggestions are of extreme value to us and we thank you for them.

We are pleased to note that you have enjoyed most of our amenities, services, rate and location; along with your recommendations for improvement.

On behalf of the Grand Sahid Jaya Jakarta, I thank you for drawing attention to our successes and disappointments.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

DO NOT stay at this hotel. The price for what you get is not at all reasonable, there are plenty of other hotels in Jakarta that charge the same price, e.g. nikko, ambassador that are much, much better! The toilets were, so ridiculously filthy, there was hair all over the bathtub and there was crusted on excrement on the toilet. Seriously disgusting. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT stay at this hotel. the only saving grace is the central location.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lolainlondon
GM-GSJH, General Manager at Grand Sahid Jaya Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
Dear Mrs. Lolainlondon,

First, thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I must admit, your comments come as a shock to me. This could only be possible if you would have been checked into a dirty room. Unfortunately I cannot find out more without knowing more details about the room you stayed in.

Regards the room’s cleanliness, if such a mistake happened, the room could be exchanged for another room of the same designation. If there is such a serious problem, the matter can be bought to the front desk manager, duty manager or General Manager for further explanation, if the guest remains dissatisfied.

We apologize for your inconvenience and disappointment; naturally, hotels want their guests to receive the best possible stay and we thank you for your comments. Without your input, we would not better our understanding of our guest’s satisfaction or disappointments.

I sincerely hope you could send me more details about your stay for my follow up.