Crowne Plaza Hotel Jakarta
$159
$133
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsihg membershopping mallbusiness tripindian foodthe club loungejapanese restaurantgatot subrotopacific placerooms are bigper daycomfortable hotellate checkcomfortable staydecent hotelbusiness districthotel staffbuffet breakfast
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This hotel needs to seriously improve its training of staff and upgrade its hardware. I understand there are many reasons why a certain property is not renovating its facilities, but for an older property, staff should work seamlessly and offer top notch service.

At check-in, there were 5 to 6 people behind the desk, attending 2 guests. I don't understand why it takes multiple people to help one guest, but that's what happened the evening I checked in. After 7 minutes of wait, the bell man noticed my frustration and asked for my ID to be scanned. You would think that would speed up the check-in process, but no, I still had to wait for another 10 minutes to be checked in. I made the reservation online with my IHG Rewards Club account, yet I still have to fill out all the information that's already been provided on my Gold account.

The room, as expected, is old. That's OK in my book - bathroom is clean-ish (even though there was a big fly inside) and bed is comfortable. What's NOT acceptable is charging guests USD20 or so for 24 hour wifi, which DID NOT work. Signing in was a problem and I had to call business center twice. After logging in, speed was so slow, a single website page would not even load. Luckily I am an elite member, so the fee was waived. But imagine if you have to pay for this kind of non service?

I appreciate that management reads every review here and replies. But I would strongly hope that something is being done to the wifi service, allowing business and leisure travelers these days to connect easily and swiftly. Complimentary wifi at 0.5 mbps speed does not cut it in 2014.

I would NOT return to this hotel until I read more positive reviews of this hotel and would suggest other business travelers who rely on high speed wifi to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Crowne_Plaza_Jakarta, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear Louis W,

Thank you for your review and being detailed on the problem you encountered. Please accept my apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. We are continually improving the condition and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us. Rest assured that I have addressed your comments to the related departments for correction and improvement. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

except for the friendly staff of the breakfast restaurant, there is little else that holds this place yet compel visitors to return. Memorable for the wrong reasons like : -

- wifi is chargeable (+/-USD15) yet signal is erratic within the room.
- bathtub has cracks in some areas & if ur not careful, can graze yourself
- really old décor throughout the building
- I'm IHG member so was given the 'benefit' of 20% discount of the spa which serves no benefit to me yet free internet would be ideal & customer driven.
- dirty bar seat for the smoking area/verandah just outside the breakfast floor. There were staff that comes to clean the tables & ashtray but obviously miss the stools as layers of dust can be seen on it. Give it a whack & you would choke on the dust, provided you're still keen to sit on it.
My take is simple, if it's too much to care, then don't bother having it there. It just indicates to guest to sit at own (dis)comfort.
- staffs throughout the building have trouble smiling/greeting or one can sense things are not right amongst them...maybe welfare issues?? the only occasion the staff bothered was the security lady at the elevators, door girl & staff at breakfast floor. everyone else stares at you blank.
- power points to charge devices are limited in the room & if you find one, it may not work.
- my partner made a group booking so some rooms were under his name only. As the rooms were split into different floors & his need to visit the other colleagues, main desk said it's impossible for security reasons as the access card only allows access to respective floor in the elevator yet you can sense from his looks he's apologetic & (admits)the cloud of idiocy hanging over. I'm sure the hotel can train their staff to use their discretion to assess the situation. Using his discretion (& authority) he emphasize he's doing us a FAVOUR by allowing it. Heck!...we're not returning coz your system is dumb & we don't need personal guarantees from staff!
- on checkout day, there a group of guest awaiting for taxis & 1 anxious gent, after waiting for 15-20mins, was growing more restless as he was heading to the airport had to ask the queing guest in front if he can have their taxi & luckily, they were kind enough. In my 35mins waiting time, the other group in front of us had to walk outside to the road to hail a cab whilst the concierge & other staff(maybe security) easily about 10 in total didn't little to help (inspite of them being very free) yet were chatting & joking away. Pathetic would be an understatement.
I got my cab as my partner booked via the phone.

If the rates of the hotel includes wifi & breakfast, there would be better options than this place. Whilst I didn't go thru a horrific experience at this hotel, there is nothing to compel a return. My adage is that if the hotel can't add value & make your stay pleasant, it should not at least inconvenient you.

Plus point - bathroom is tiled & is spotlessly clean.
- decent breakfast spread of Western & Asian. more than enough variety to fill up an empty stomach

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Crowne_Plaza_Jakarta, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear Wisenick,

Thank you for giving a review of our hotel. We truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity to improve our service.
Again, we wish to thank you for your input and hope the shortcomings you have experienced will not deter you from patronizing Crowne Plaza Jakarta in the future.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

It all started off wrong at reception. There were 3 people and a supervisor taking care of 2 businessmen. I was left standing there for at least 10 minutes. It was then that it hit me that this is of course a businessmen's hotel, so a relaxed traveler can wait. The problem was that I was not so relaxed after making my way through the never ending traffic of Jakarta in a taxi from Gambir Station. But I digress. When I finally did get checked in they did not greet me as a Rewards Club member, and unbeknownst to me, my membership had actually been upgraded during this trip. They upgraded my room to a higher floor though as a thank you for my being so patient (obviously they did not notice that I was in fact not so patient.) The décor of this hotel is old, very old, and the room reeked of cigarette smoke. I fixed this by regularly spraying my cologne on the lamp! I had to do that every day, before I left and when I came back. While I was taking a shower I noticed that the water was not draining, and when I went to touch the handle it came off in my hands. When I told them about this they removed the drain handle and gave me a rubber stopper. It didn't matter as I take showers, not baths, but a rubber stopper? They did offer to change my room, but that is always a pain once you've checked in, and I let it go. Dinner in the main restaurant was excellent, as they were having a French promotion, and the French cuisine was excellent. I would have Indonesian food in the same restaurant another night, and it too was excellent. But the next morning when I arrived for breakfast I was seated by a hostess all the way back at the end of the room, VERY far away from the breakfast buffet. When she noticed my chagrin, she asked 'Something wrong?" I replied 'Never mind"..A waitress approached me and asked if I ordered ginger tea. I said no, but might I have some coffee? She looked at me like I had two heads and walked away. The guest who did order the ginger tea arrived and sat down at the next table. I attempted to flag someone down for some coffee, but the businessmen demanded their breakfast and service, so after about 15 minutes of this I got up and walked out. As I was telling the people at the restaurant reception to make sure they did not charge me for anything as I did not consume anything, the restaurant manager came over and asked me what was wrong. I'm afraid I was not very nice to him, explained what had just happened, and stormed out. Forgetting about the breakfast, I made a cup of tea in my room and planned my day. Back down at reception, another mob scene was ensuing, and a gentlemen asked me if I wanted to check out, as he saw me holding my room key. It turned out he was the hotel manager. I explained what had just happened and he was very apologetic and wanted to rectify the situation, but I thanked him and declined, as I wanted to see something of the city. He assisted in getting me a cab, and I did not return to the hotel until the late afternoon. When I did return I headed to the pool, which was beautiful and big. I did not use the health club but did go in to get my towel. The staff there were very nice and attentive. But....they thanked me by name when I returned the towel. The same thing happened to me at the lobby bar. It appears I was branded a trouble maker. Everyone working in that hotel knew my name! A friend came to visit and we had dinner in one of the Japanese restaurants, the sushi place, which was wonderful. The next morning we attempted the breakfast again, and lo and behold, the restaurant manager was there to greet me (yep, by name again). He was very nice and very attentive, and I apologized if I had been rude the day before. If you are fortunate enough to have his attention his name is Januar, and he is a first class gentleman. Leaving the hotel for my day's outing, the hotel manager came up to me and asked if everything was ok. He also helped to make arrangements for my departure, one of their cars to the airport, and managed to get me wifi. I had not qualified for this as a club member, but as I mentioned, my membership level had changed while I was there. They should have known that. The night before my departure, I wanted to confirm the car to the airport at reception. Guess what? They had no record of a car being reserved! I had to re-reserve the car. Anyone who reads my reviews can see I am far from a complainer, but sometimes you just have to call it like it is. This place needs a lot of work, starting at reception, and then a good remodeling job of the hallways and the rooms. While I was very sad to leave beautiful Indonesia, I was not sorry to leave this hotel. And even though I am an IHG rewards member, I will not stay at this hotel again. And unless you are wearing a suit and tie most of the time, you should avoid this place also.

Room Tip: My room viewed the skyline of the city, other rooms view the pool. All the views are nice and the rooms are soundproofed. But the furnishings are old and everything could use a good coat of paint.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Crowne_Plaza_Jakarta, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Dear bklynbubba,

Thank you for leaving a very detail review of our property. I am truly sorry that your stay experience is not at par with your expectation and please accept my apology for the inconveniences. Our goal is to provide a comfortable stay for our valued guest. I have taken note and wish to thank you for your valuable comments. Valuable feedback such as yours enables us to target problem areas.

Again, thank you for staying with us. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

This property is well maintained with friendly staffs and offers a wide variety for breakfast buffet.
internet charges are high and not free wifi in the room, overall value for money and a nice property.

Room Tip: city view rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Crowne_Plaza_Jakarta, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Dear Renil,

Thank you for leaving a review for our property. We are pleased that you found our hotel at par with your expectation. Your comments truly inspire us to continuously improve and provide better services for our guest.

Once again, thank you for your comment and we look forward to welcoming you back in our hotel.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

hai all,, do not be surprised if it stays in Crowne Plaza hotel, the facilities used are not never Up-date. it's alike rooms fasilities, Like TV, Room Floor, etc.. hum.. better look other hotel accomodatin.

since 2008 : food in restourant it's nerver up-date too..

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Dirman,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am sorry to learn that you did not satisfy with our facilities. I have taken note and wish to thank you for your valuable feedback.