“Oasis in the Midst of Chaos”

Grand Hyatt Jakarta
Ranked #27 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Jakarta, what can one say? After a two hour snail's pace drive from the airport, we made it to the Grand Hyatt, thankfully. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. Our room had a nice view over the giant roundabout and beyond. The room was well appointed, and the bed comfortable. We like a cold room to sleep in and it was easy to keep the room at a comfortably cool temp. We had access to the concierge level, which I would recommend as a great place for breakfast and afternoon tea. The pool area is an incredible pool with full service restaurant and bar - it was worth the whole stay - very quiet, very zen, very relaxing. The only complaint we had was that our room smelled faintly musty each time we re-entered it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Grand Hyatt Jakarta

Reviewed June 26, 2013

From my experience staying in this hotel, I sensed that the management placed strong focus on service and this can be seen in the way the hotel guests were treated by the hotel staff. I felt that the staff were very intent on pleasing the customer, going the extra mile for the hotel guest.

Special mention goes to Tio at the concierge who remembered me from a telephone call I made in my room when I first checked in, requesting for information on massage. When I went to the concierge in person the following day, I didnt identify myself or my room number but he was able to acknowledge me when I asked him to help me make a massage appointment. He even followed up with me on my various requests and gave me assurance that everything was taken care of.

There were three things that I didnt like about staying in this hotel - the gym, the breakfast and the complimentary tea selection in the room. While the Grand Hyatt Jakarta gym is the best equipped one that I have seen in a hotel, the down side is that it is not opened 24 hours. For a business traveller like me who is keen to have a daily workout but could only do so after 11pm, this is not an option in this hotel. There is, however, a very tiny gym with 2 machines that is opened 24 hours but the machines are not suitable for me.

The breakfast spread was not appealing. The quality of the food was very average, bordering on below average. The staff at the egg station were not able to produce decent poached eggs and the scrambled eggs were extremely dry.

I was disappointed to see the absence of green tea in the complimentary selection in the room. Instead of providing the more popular option of green tea, there's Lychee tea instead. Too many black tea and no green tea.....

Signs of aging can be seen in the room and common areas of Grand Hyatt Jakarta. There are other newer hotels in the same area. I am drawn to this hotel because of the impeccable service that was rendered. But if the areas in which I'm dissatisfied with are not resolved, I may give other hotels a try. Especially those with a 24-hour gym.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Staff was extremely helpful with all our needs. We had to move rooms due to a leaking toilet. Unfortunately we moved to a room closer to the front of the hotel. It was the birthday of the city and they had closed down the street out front for many band stands and lots of loud partying. It only lasted until 11 though. Attached to a great mall where we did all our eating and shopping. Great outdoor pool to spend the afternoon. Overall it was a nice experience and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for pool side for a great view and it's quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Grand_Hyatt_Jakarta, Marketing Communications Manager at Grand Hyatt Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Trece95,

Warm greetings from Grand Hyatt Jakarta.

Thank you very much for taking the time and post a review regarding your stay with us. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay due to the leaking toilet, but am pleased that our employees were able to help you move to another room. The hotel is located in the center of the city where the Pesta Rakyat (People's Party) taken place to celebrate Jakarta's 486th Anniversary. I hope the celebrations were not too loud, and that you had the chance to enjoy the view of the celebrations from your room.

We are looking forward to welcome you back at Grand Hyatt Jakarta soon.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was there just last week and the service, the location and everything has been just superb!the room was BIG. Very well decorated and managed. I particularly liked the long side desks by the bedside with TWO electrical sockets. How thoughtful! Business travelers often come to their room at night with needs to both charge their phones/tablets and to keep them reachable from bed. This was recognized by this hotel and that was fantastic. The internet was free And that was also pleasant. Thebreakfast? Yummy! Food in the restaurant? Very good. Service? Excellent.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank hrishikul298

Dear hrishikul298,

Warm greetings from Grand Hyatt Jakarta.

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Jakarta on Trip advisor. I am delighted to hear that you had a fantastic experience with us, and appreciated the additional universal power sockets next to the bed. We recently added them based on feedback from our guests, and I am delighted that you found them useful.

Thank you again for your comments, we look forward to welcoming you back at Grand Hyatt Jakarta in the near future.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

The hotel room was simply luxurious and delightful. Grand Hyatt made a great effort to disguise a Standard Single Room as a Deluxe room.

Service was prompt and excellent.

Location is very centralised and next to an expensive mall where there's a good selection of boutiques and restaurant.

One thing though:
If you're easily irked by promotional electronic direct mailers, do not subscribe to their mailing list.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Grand_Hyatt_Jakarta, Marketing Communications Manager at Grand Hyatt Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Kareenlee,

Warm greetings from Grand Hyatt Jakarta.

Thank you very much for taking the time and post a review regarding your experience with us. I am delighted to learn that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed Plaza Indonesia, the city’s most sophisticated mall with direct access from the hotel. We will definitely pass on your compliments to our associates.

I apologize that you were overwhelmed by our promotional electronic mailing system. As a loyal customer, we are trying to keep our patrons well informed of the special offers and benefits that they can get. However, you can always unsubscribe from any of the e-mails you receive from Hyatt.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed for two nights on business trip. As you enter, staff will greet and make you feel very welcomed. Check in was very fast, room was very spacious.

Located next to a shopping mall and very convenient.

Only reservation was on the breakfast. I enquired if the selection was halal, and the staff pointed to say the food that was non halal was in a specific area. As I was taking the food, I enquired again if the chicken dish at the halal section was slaughtered islamically to make it halal, the staff said that he is not able to confirm that.

I then had doubts about the selection being really halal certified and only ate the fruits and ommelete.

• Stayed: May 2013
viana_i, Marketing Communications Manager at Grand Hyatt Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear AAA1971KL,

Warm greetings from Grand Hyatt Jakarta, and thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Jakarta on Trip advisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I will be sure to share your positive comments with our Front Office employees.

I am very sorry to learn that you were given contradicting information regarding the authenticity of our Halal food. To clarify our procedures, we are exclusively using Halal Certified suppliers for meat & poultry, and using different utensil to process the food which is Halal and non-Halal. I apologize if you were not given the correct information, and hope that we will be able to welcome you back soon so that you may experience the full breakfast buffet with the assurance of the Halal certification.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

The two stays I made at Grand Hyatt Jakarta were great. The staff service was excellent - they're very courteous and attentive, always there to help you to make your stay an easy and comfortable one. It is also connected to Plaza Indo mall, where there are many high end boutiques, as well as great restaurants. It's not cheap, but you would appreciate the service and comfort, especially when traveling to a very busy city like Jakarta.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends