“Extremely Disappointing and Unfriendly Experience”

Grand Hyatt Jakarta
Ranked #31 of 471 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I travel the world for work, and have found myself in all types of places, from lavish to the dangerous. I can pretty much thrive in any environment and with most people. This hotel made for a terrible experience in Jakarta. Aside from the musty, old smelling room - other highlights included a bathtub filled with brown water and a dark, quiet atmosphere. If you are a single female, I'd think twice about staying here. Breakfast was sparse. The biggest problem I experienced was the additional $200 a night that was added to my bill. Despite numerous complaints put in to the Management, nothing was resolved. PLEASE make sure they give you a final bill in USD (or your home currency)! I left during the emergency flooding and I feel I was taken advantage of. There were over $100 in "taxes" per night plus an additional $75!!!! a night for internet and continental breakfast!!! Insanity, overall it cost nearly $500 a night. Interestingly, the hotel management tried to tell me the exchange rate on XE.com was wrong and it was really only $400...right I'm sure XE.com is wrong and not the hotel. I was originally quoted $268 a night. Nearly the entire staff is rude and unfriendly, I felt very uncomfortable in this hotel despite the security being ample. I have one nice thing to say, that is, the massage in the spa was wonderful. Sadly, not enough for me to ignore all the bad. I will not be staying at a Hyatt hotel again...ever.

Room Tip: Do not let them talk you into a higher floor for more money - it is not any safer. Get your bill in...
1  Thank Junebug22
Write a ReviewReviews (1,152)

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Everything you expect from a big luxury hotel. This is well located in the business district, and attached to a big mall (and beside yet another). The rooms are spacious and well furnished. Service is excellent. Only downside is that my non-smoking room had the faint smell of smoke.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel during the Chinese New Year. Not nly was the hotel service and property impeccable, but they had also incorporated several activities in their planning to highlight Chinese New Year (live music, dragon danse, special food, calligraphy, etc.).
Their staff knows the importance of customer satisfaction, and everyone who is in touch with customers goes the extra mile. For example, the lady at the lounge greeted us by name after us having been there only once before. Nice touch!
The rooms are spacious, well equipped (international plugs very appreciated), modern and clean.
The breakfast buffet will satisfy everyone with a wide selection of food from all over.
The hotel is located near several malls which offer multiple alternatives for food and activities if you do not want to stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

As a regular business traveler to Jakarta, Grand Hyatt fits perfectly in my itinerary in terms of convenient location. Some of the biggest attractions of this hotel are i) proximity to Grand Indonesia Shopping mall, ii) Multi-cuisine fine dining options (though a bit disappointing for vegetarians) & iii) very cosy ambience and yeahh.... dont forget to try breakfast!
Though the room size is small (compared to Mandarin Oriental across the street) but they offer frequent flyer points on every stay (which mandarin Oriental don't).
Strongly suggest Grand Hyatt for those who don't mind spending extra for some luxury! Live Grand with Grand Hyatt!

Rating: 9/10

Room Tip: Chose room facing main roundabout fountain in jakarta city
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I've stayed in many of them and I have to say if it isn't, it must be very close. I stay at the Grand Hyatt every time I am in Jakarta and I am never unhappy. The service is impeccable from the moment you walk in the front doors and are greeted by the delightful female concierge - somehow they always know who I am and I’m greeted by name by another concierge at the top of the escalators as I approach reception. If they don’t know you, don’t worry as the ladies elegantly and efficiently escort you to reception where you’ll be greeted like an A-Lister (or minor royalty). The rooms are large, well appointed and very comfortable (with excellent internet connection) and the gym is fantastic. The hotel is located against the Plaza Indonesia, meaning you are on the doorstep of a huge mall – I’ve been lost in it more than once – that has everything you could ever need while travelling (or high-end shopping). Have dinner in C’s Steak and Seafood Restaurant – as I do every trip – and you’ll be dazzled by the cuisine and wine list (although it ‘aint cheap), then take a drink at Burgundy while watching some sport on one of the huge flat screen TVs. Plenty of meeting rooms and a great Business Centre. All in all, it’s a great place to stay that always feels like ‘coming home’.

Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

I really liked this hotel. I stayed for a conference and got a chance to sample a lot of the food. The Indonesian-themed specialties were amazing! The workout space was fantastic too. Overall I found the staff helpful and engaging. The Internet was a bit slow but it was pretty reliable. There is a huge high-end underground shopping mall which is a must-see (and I'm not a big shopper).

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stays here for 2 nights during "Great Jakarta Flood" on 18-19 January 2013. Well we were lucky, if we came earlier by 1 day then we won't be able to reach the hotel as the surrounding area was flooded.

Staff service was great, from the moment we check in, room service, dining area and till the check out. We expect 5 stars and thats being presented.

For sport fanatic, you will love the swimming pool (water a little too cold), the gym facility and they have a continuous 400 meters lap for jogging surrounding the pool area.

The choice for breakfast IMO is ok, not too great, we miss Indonesian food and I am so happy to see some Indonesian food being served, but no variety during the 2 days we stays there. If you love shopping, this hotel is the best place as its connected to a big shopping mall (Plaza Indonesia) and if thats not enough within a walking distance you can go to Grand Indonesia (GI). To say GI as a shopping mall is an understatement.

Jakarta hold a weekly Car Free Day every Sunday from 6am to 11am, during this time the main road in front of the hotel is closed for car and everyone can cycle or run. Not to worry, car can still access the hotel from the side gate.

Room Tip: Pick a room that face the "Bundaran HI" (the water fountain roundabout).
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family