“Very Good Business Hotel”

Hotel Mulia Senayan
Ranked #13 of 460 Hotels in Jakarta
Singapore, Singapore
“Very Good Business Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed for a week in Hotel Mulia Senayan on a business trip. Being a native Jakartan, I can say that Mulia is indeed one of the most well-known 5-star hotel in the city. But is it the best? I personally don't think so, for a few reasons.

First of all, this hotel is quite crowded with business travelers. Check in was a bit disorganized for first timers (no clear queue). The staff asked for my credit card and made an open balance (pretty standard), but didn't told me how much (not so standard). Next thing I knew I got a text from the bank about the amount and wow, it was more than my stay's worth (not a norm either).

I was assigned to Mulia Splendor room on 21st floor. The room, as I expected, was spacious, functional, nicely appointed, but has shown some age. It has sofa and working desk, assisting me in good balance between work and relax in the room. The bed, pillows and sheets are of excellent quality. I have back pain and sometimes struggle with to-firm/to-soft mattresses or with to-high/to-low pillows, but that's not the case in Mulia.

Breakfast at The Cafe was crowded. At peak period, expect to see 10-20 persons queue outside the restaurant, but we're all seated pretty quickly. Selection was not really huge (unlike Conrad Centennial Singapore, for example), but tasted good. I can say that it was the best tasting buffet in Jakarta, compared to places like Shangri-la Jakarta or Pullman Jakarta Central Park.

Service was good, very polite but spotty and lack consistencies at times. For example, some staffs would address me by name, but they failed to replenish my conditioner. I called the concierge and within 3 minutes they delivered some shampoo and conditioner to my room. Another example would be breakfast bill. All hotel guests need to sign the bill every morning even though it was included in the room price. A bit redundant don't you think? Same case for internet, when you log in to the in-room WiFi, it kept telling you to agree to pay IDR140,000++ for the connection, even though it's already included in the room price.

Location wise, Mulia is a bit tricky. It's right in the heart of Senayan, but not right next door to the nearly Plaza Senayan or Senayan City. It's walking distance, yes, but walking alone at night in Jakarta might not be safest thing to do if you're not familiar with the area. However, the distance is a bit too close for a taxi ride so you might want to tip the taxi driver.
Therefore, you might want opt to get your dinner before you get back to the hotel, unless if you want to dine inside the hotel. Luckily Mulia presents quite a bit of choice anyway.

The only major issue I had with Mulia is noise. The room right next to mine hosted a family with young kids twice. The parents spoke loudly, the kids scream, sometimes they open the door and keep talking loudly, the kids ran along the corridor while screaming...horrible. It was close to midnight and I called the concierge to tame them down. The noise died down after midnight but being an insomniac all the emotion and noise screwed my head and I had a bad sleep that night.
The next day I asked the concierge politely to switch my room if the next door family haven't checked out yet. They informed me that the noisy guests had checked out and that night I had a good sleep, but the following day the hotel put yet another family with a loud kid and the sisters walking slowly along the corridor while chatting happily with no volume control whatsoever.

Now I start to wonder where the hotel put the rest of the business travelers. In the Executive floors perhaps? Because we surely don't need all these noise while on business trip.

Bad luck aside, maybe this hotel lack sound proofing. It's located right next to an Expo (JHCC Senayan) and it's quite a popular choice for concerts. I could hear all the residual noise up from my room. This noise also died down after midnight.

All in all, Hotel Mulia Senayan is quite a solid business hotel but the noise killed it for me. There are better, newer hotels out there in Jakarta, but one of my favorite (Pullman Jakarta Central Park) is located further away from CBD. Maybe next time I'll need to upgrade to the Executive floor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

A favorite for many locals to hang-out.

I recommend this place for business people. Plaza Senayan is not that convenient to walk under the hot weather in Jakarta and the crime rate there. Taking taxi back to the hotel can be a pain in the neck because you have to wait for a loooooong time from Plaza Senayan.

But, if you don't have to go anywhere or your business partner in Jakarta provides you with a chauffeur and a car, this hotel is great. Excellent bed, spacious room and excellent restaurants.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Rika L, Hotel Mulia Senayan at Hotel Mulia Senayan, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Hepzibah T,

Thank you for your positive review on Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta. Taxis are readily available 24 hours per day at the Hotel and the concierge can also arrange longer term car rentals, in order to avoid any inconveniences which you may encounter trying to find a taxi outside of our jurisdiction.

We looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Spacious rooms, prime location, excellent pool, one of the best service you will get in jakarta.

Very pleasant check in and in room service.

Offers good variety of food options and our son enjoyed his food. ..which doesn't happen always.

No balcony but rooms offer good view. Go for the higher floors.

In room wifi was quite fast and helped catching with work

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Prezanna,

Thank you for your thoughtful review on Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta.

We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that your son enjoyed our food. We will surely share your comments with the team who will ensure a most warm welcome on return visit.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

wonderful experience at hotel, the choice of restaurants is amazing the hotel offer buffet style for all the restaurant Japanese, Chinese, International, French-Thai to Dessert bar costing around USD30 per head this is real good choice. Quality of the room is large, clean and best of all non-smoking at ALL rooms

This an oasis in busy-traffic-chock Jakarta...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear yoong w,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences at Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta. It has been a great pleasure for the team to provide exceptional service and to create a memorable experience for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Travelled again for work to Mulia Senayan. Good hotel, grand and very nice decor. The rooms are large, even the lowest tiered rooms, and bathrooms are very spacious. In-room amenities are sufficient and useful.

One thing that needs improvement is the WiFi system in the hotel. When I stayed, the Internet was intermittent and unstable and proved to be very difficult for work. To make it worst, it costs 20USD a day. My tip, purchase the topup card for WiFi, same system but cheaper definitely.

Also, I finally had the chance to have breakfast at the hotel. It was a good spread and service was good. Definitely worth it.

Overall, good hotel but for it to be truly a business hotel, basic amenities need to be improved.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear DavidT08,

Thank you for your review on Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta. We truly value the opinions of our guests and will do our utmost to serve you better on your next visit.

Looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Both at check-in and check-out someone cut in front of me. It is not a difficult thing at all for front desk attendants to notice who they need to serve next, and all hotels claiming to be a luxury hotel need to figure out a queuing system that works. The front desk ladies were also among the least courteous staff members we met during our stay. While most of the staff smiled and greeted my wife and I, these ladies were unfriendly, curt, and inattentive.

Secondly, I needed a taxi at the end of my stay, and the person at the taxi queue was very rude. I simply asked for a Blue Bird and I didn't know that Hotel Mulia only had Silver Birds. He nearly yelled at me for that.

Unfortunately, since these were the staff members that I encountered either first or last, it left me with a bad impression.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ArifH67,

Thank you for your review on Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta.

As per our telephone conversation and now this forum, we thank you once again for your comments and assure you that these have been forwarded to the respective departments in order to be able to serve you and other guests better in a future. As discussed, the hotel does have a queue system in place as was demonstrated at that time, you were served by our front office staff once it was noticed that another guest cut in front of you.

As to the taxi service, Silver bird taxis are stationed within the hotel premises, however, Blue bird taxis are available upon request.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

this hotel was very bad, they are not friendly and mostly business oriented. if you want check in early, they will charging you 50$ from the price. the breakfast for one person is 250.000 IDR around 25 USD but not too much variation food also on the restaurant always have one guys will be taking around to coming to you asking you must signing on their paper. he said if your breakfast was input into your room bill, you dont need to paid but if not, you must paid in place. really not comfy. also they too much strict, one room only for 2 person not with extra bed. if 3 adult will be stay, one adult must paying for new room cant request extra bed. never recommended this hotel to anyone. evn this hotel is 5 star really excellent decoration but not good staff and very very strict.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank amazinggirls
Dear amazinggirls,

Thank you for your review on Hotel Mulia Senayan, Jakarta.

We truly value the opinions of our guests.
To let you know, our check in time is at 3 PM.

Our breakfast buffet is considered to be the most extensive in the city offering a selection unrivaled by any other hotel and most of our guests are impressed by the large spread.

With reference to your billing procedures comments, your comments have been taken into account and been discussed with the relevant departments.

There are several room types at Hotel Mulia Senayan that are able to accommodate 3 adults in the room. However, for reasons of guest safety, the hotel does not provide extra beds. Our rooms are designed to take into account the ability of guests to move around safely and easily without the risk of accidents, especially at night and in the event of an emergency.

We hope we have been able to shed some light to some of our policies, and we hope to be able to welcome you back to our Hotel in the not too distant future.